Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bible in Court

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    What about incorperation of tourture methodolgy into rehabilitation for the seroius but not too far gone eg.. somone who killed someone once, not a serial killer, just a one off mistake. a bit extreme but probally effective, what do you think ?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    This kind of following just doesn't seem right, because pretty soon other religions are gonna want to enforce what their faith says you should do to criminals than the law saying what they should pay.
    There is a big difference between a "religious court" and someone on a jury being asked to make a moral decision. The jury was making a determination within the law based on their moral beliefs, as they were asked to. If the death sentance was not already legal in this case the jurors would not have had the option of choosing it. The only reason the ruling was overturned was because it turned out those beliefs were Biblical. To me that shows bias against religion.

I would like to remind everyone, again, that the Consititution does not say anything about a seperation of church and state in spite of what the media tells you. All the "Constitution" says is that people running for office cannot be discriminated against based on their religion and all the "Bill of Rights" says is that the government is not allowed to make laws concerning or discriminating against religion.

To say that the Bible doesn't belong in a courtroom seems a little absurd to me since US legal code is based on the Bible. Like it or not, the country was founded by Christians. If they had belonged to another religion chances are our penal code would be a lot stricter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Katsuhito
    I agree I think all Sex offenders should have a court order to be castrated on conviction of the crime. This way if they are released back into mass public they can't rape again. I mean Its dumb to give them a chance at being free if they are just going to go out and do it again just like Kikieru said. Some people do it to Get Free health care free food free house paid by the tax payers.
    Exactly.

PS.Kikieru, how would lowering ourselves to torture be effective? And would you really want someone with a job like that in government employ?
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 29, 2005 at 01:37 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Excellent point ZQ.

I will note that that someone of faith should still have the right to express their judement based on the bible.

I dislike the idea of religion playing a large role in Court, schools and government but you cannot disallow people their rights to religion. If there everyone int he jury agreed, hopefully with a fair amount of Christian and Non-Christian people within the group then why not let it pass?

Besides, Christians have told us for years that no matter how bad your sins so long as you believe in god and pledge yourself to him you'll be saved.

I think life in jail is worst than death anyhow.

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was just curious to know what you thought about torture, by the way it can be argued that castration is a form of torture, even if the procedure is under anesthesia, Im for it though. By torture I should have been more specific, non physically scaring sensory deprivation, such as prolonged strain exercise, hot / cold, or even chinese water torture, Using such methods to make rahab more effective depending on severity of the crime inorder to prevent reoffending. Should castration be used if if the convict only did it once or reoffends, should circumstance be taken into account before judgement, such as too much too drink, drink as we all know reduces the ability to make rational decisions, should castration be used in this case ?

What do you think of education regarding law and crimes in school, here in the uK we dont have any lessons dedicated to law, crimes and conseqence, human rights or democractic rights, I dont know any teenager who knows there rights , most only know there rights and conseqences from tv and films, do ou think If teens or children knew more there would be less crimes, if teens knew the conseqence would they commit that crime, here we dont really have any education regarding racism,criminology or law we all learn from our conseqence (in which is too late for some), or from Tv and films. The only lesson reagrding this was racism and eqaulity which only lasted for 1 and a half hour.
    Last edited by Kikieru; Mar 29, 2005 at 02:28 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    I do believe what you are speaking of is considered "cruel and unusual punishment" and is illegal in the US. Someone did try to pass legislation for castration once and their opponents claimed it was the same. They also said that since rape is actually a crime of violence it wouldn't actually prevent anything. I suspect both side could be argued.

You have a very good point though. They have proven that education reduces drug crimes I bet educating people on the law could have an effect on others as well. It is certainly just as important as learning about the tax code and morgages.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Animal4890 may be famous one day Animal4890 may be famous one day Animal4890's Avatar
    Thanks
    The judge made a good choice. Rather than just reflect on bible passages introspectively, jurors brought in bible passages on paper and referenced them in front of other jurors. This meant that the bible directly influenced the final juror sentencing, which should mean that the sentence should be void.

On the topic of the death penalty, I think there needs to be a harsher punishment than the death penalty. Perhaps a more painful way to die is in order for people who do not deserve to be protected against "cruel and unusual punishments".

so, instead of hearing the prosecution going for "life or death", you'd hear them going for "life, death, or a really sh*tty death".

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think living a life in jail for someone that has remorce for what he did and is really rethinking his dissions in life knowing he won't get out of jail is painful enough on a person

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I would just like to add this simple point:

You can take the Bible out of the court, but you can't remove religion from people's mind. Religion influences people no matter whether you remove every religious related object from the court room or not.

I'm not religious, but I'm not an atheist either. Christians find it just as offensive to have ALL religious objects removed from public as atheists do to HAVE those same objects in public. That being true, I don't think the anti-religious group has the right to remove all religious stuff from the public eye like they seem to think they do. Moderation on both sides of the Christianity vs. Atheism/Non-Christianity showdown in America would be most welcome.

As far as death penalty goes, I'm pretty cool with how we do it in America. 1st degree murder cases only. Although, I would be willing to make an exception for someone that killed a child whether it was spur of the moment or premeditated. I'm sorry but saying "it was spur of the moment" isn't an acceptable reason for killing a kid.
    Last edited by dark_glaive; Mar 29, 2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast