Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bible in Court

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Hmm... a "bible" thread, eh? Well, to be honest, the bible had NOTHING to do with the case whatsoever.

How do we know that the person who asked about the sentence from the bible wouldn't just go home and look it up by themselves?

Obviously, (and I'm just restating what most of us know) the defense was just playing for time. They themselves didn't even consider the possibility of the bible truly changing the verdict.

*sigh* If only people would stop being so ornery about certain things? The bible, quran, torah, etc. really don't do anything in cases. "Oh, hey, the bible says this, lets do that." The only people (exaggeration) who would do that are serious zealots of the bible, people who would whip Holy Water (tm) into your eyes to get you to convert.

P.S. Before you flame me about how you follow the bible, note the "exaggeration" sign.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Otaku Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut's Avatar
    Thanks
    Anyone who wants to have the people tortured...
    we might need to talk about that some other time.

As far as the constitutionality of it is concerned...The first amendment is where it talks about seperation of church and state. Even there it only says that congress cannon favor one religion over another or ban the practice of any religion. If a judge wishes to consult the Bible about something such as the death penalty, the constitution allows it, as long as biblical LAW is not the basis for their judgement. to say they may not would violate the first amendment.

A judge is bound by the law itself to do what they think will benifit american society. The people who saw that we should remove all religion from our culture shoud keep in mind this quote from the Bible: Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

BTW... where do you think morality came from?

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
    is there more to this or is it that simple, thou shall not kill under no circumstance, what if it is to feed your family by killing an animal, or does it only apply to humans again...

I previously stated...
    And how come religions and its content only apply to humans and the human world, how many elaphants and penquins do you see nipping down to the local pentocostle church ?. The bible only adddresses human problems, if god exists or a subject of god how come you dont see other living entities folowing a set of values that are predefined (excluding the genetic code).

Quoting exodus 20:

20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    ...Only worship one, me, (Sounds like a command more than an option)

20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    ...You cannot serve or help others that dont conform to my rule, god will visit the wicked who hate me.

20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    ...those who love, I will be mercifull, aslong as you conform.

20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    ...6 days a week work, do all my work(I take it this our proof of loyalty, if the lord is so powerfull, why not do it himself?)

20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    ...a days rest

20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    ...Doesnt science, specificly paleantology provide proof that contradicts this ?

Exodus 20: sounds just like Iam your god, conform to my rule, do my work, those who sin, I will visit the 3rd and 4th generation of there children (and then what ?).

In a way it just sounds like many famous poeple of history just like hittler, stalin, saddam etc, All these had there own rule which they inforced, there way was the right path, those who hate or oppose were dealt with.

My interpretation of exodus maybe wrong, but if you read through it, it start to sound like a leader whom wants there own society in which people do there bidding.

Othere interesting parts: 20:24, 20:25, 20:26, these state that you should build an altar for me, made pure and not disrespect the altar by been naked.

If a law is not clearly defined nor specified with limitations then this will give rise to missinterpretation, therefore violations.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikieru
    My interpretation of exodus maybe wrong, but if you read through it, it start to sound like a leader whom wants there own society in which people do there bidding.
    There is more to the Ten Commandments (and the rest of Judaic doctrine set down in Deuteronomy) than just your negative literalism. The Bible has been through several stages of translation and interpretation in the 3,000+ (for the Old Testament) years it's been kicking around. Each successive version has been subject to the prevailing agenda of its translators and compilers.

If a law is not clearly defined nor specified with limitations then this will give rise to missinterpretation, therefore violations.
    All laws are subject to interpretation and misinterpretation regardless of how specific or general they are made. This subjectivity applies to both government statutes as well as religious doctrine. This is why there are institutions such a law schools and theological seminaries. It's why not just anyone can become a lawyer or a priest.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikieru
    Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
    is there more to this or is it that simple, thou shall not kill under no circumstance, what if it is to feed your family by killing an animal, or does it only apply to humans again...
    Actually, if you go back to the origanal text it's correct translation is "Thou shalt not murder". A bad translation that has created alot of confusion.

Starting another thread for all your questions might be useful. It seems we have people here that could answer them if you're interested. Just realize some subjects have multiple interpetations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    All laws are subject to interpretation and misinterpretation regardless of how specific or general they are made. This subjectivity applies to both government statutes as well as religious doctrine. This is why there are institutions such a law schools and theological seminaries. It's why not just anyone can become a lawyer or a priest.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut may be famous one day Juggernaut's Avatar
    Thanks
    The verse numbers I'm listing in this post are responses, not quotes...

20:3 It is a command (hence the word commandment)

20:5 Yes, the wages of sin is death. True death, not physical death. Gos is very strict about this rule. for along time between Adam and Moses, death reigned with no chance for salvation...but..God loves everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5:12
    If, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
    20:6 This is a metaphor (see above verse agian)

20:9 why doesn't he do you all our work since he's so powerful...BECAUSE ITS US THAT MESSED IT ALL UP IN THE FIRST PLACE. dude, he sent his only son to die a horrible death so that we may have eternal salvation, and its not enough...now he has to clean your room and take out the trash for you too?

20:10 a reminder that he he is a merciful God

Pretty much, to someone who truly understands God's glory, yeah it's offensive at first. But what can you do about it. It's right. We are worthless. Get over it. And if you love Him, it makes you happy too. Not because he does things for you, but because He is happy.

And a final note, no matter how clearly it is defined, we cant get it right. Only one man ever did, and that was Jesus. Moses was a murdurer. King David was an adultrer, and he was called a man after God's own heart. As humans we can't get it right, and that's what grace is. Grace is when God gives a gift we don't deserve and have done nothing to deserve. Besides, no one can do anthing worth recieving anything from God more than His wrath. And that's just the way it is. You can either win or lose. It's your choice though.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut

And a final note, no matter how clearly it is defined, we cant get it right. Only one man ever did, and that was Jesus. Moses was a murdurer. King David was an adultrer, and he was called a man after God's own heart. As humans we can't get it right, and that's what grace is. Grace is when God gives a gift we don't deserve and have done nothing to deserve. Besides, no one can do anthing worth recieving anything from God more than His wrath. And that's just the way it is. You can either win or lose. It's your choice though.

Now THERE is an arguement I'd like to have with you since I don't agree with any of that statement. But I won't in order to prevent the thread from getting off-topic.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    *cough* to late..... lol

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast