Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bit-Torrent, wave of the future?

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Omega
    For me, Bit-torrent offers me a Try-before-I-buy type of deal. I see TV shows that I may have missed, watch new anime's not out in US or check out some anime's dubs before making the decision to take the leap into buying a DVD. Yes I still download music without paying via torrents, and it's more often than not to see if something is worth buying. Torrent's are not the future of anything, They've been around for a while, if anything, torrents'll soon be the past at the rate P2P programs have been evolving lately (eXeem, anyone?).
    yeah i definately agree with you on that Raven. eXeem is quite the program, but im more of a Soulseek guy myself. Great thing it is..

jao
    Otaku jao may be famous one day jao may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I think the idea of wiping out the infrastructure that is in place now would mean the loss of millions of jobs, dollars and advantages companies hold over it's customers. I'm not saying there won't be a change in a direction similar to what you express but companies aren't going to do it without some fighting first.

[J]

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks
    When Napster went under, I was dreaming of seeing the RIAA embrace the technology and offer songs for pennies (only they could! AND they'd reap trillions!!). Slowly, private enterprise has found a way to work with the system. I agree that file transfer will be video rental of choice in the future (next 10 years). I read an article on a plane recently that the mailorder DVD rentals, although today's hot topic, are already on companies' back burners. They're focusing on file transfer options. Netflix at the head, Blockbuster shortly behind.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    LenMiyata, I fail to see the difference copyright wise between the 'Video IP' and a legal download. If both come from the same company why wouldn't they both be covered under personal use laws (which I mentioned)? After all they're both digital.

However...

LenMiyata & Hassun, I agree, bandwidth could be a problem. Hassun gave an especially good reason for that. I suggested bit-torrent as a possible way around that. If 'Video IP' proves to be more effective I am sure that the industry will use it instead. However the ability to download larger and larger files at faster and faster speeds keeps evolving. How long would it really take before it became viable?

But the real question is, how long before entire "channels" become a subscription for download or simply legally availible for distribution over the net and do you believe the industry is headed in that direction? I have heard there are already channels out of England looking into useing PtoP for a secondary distribution. Is this the future of the industry? Will it happen?
    The biggest difference between Video IP and Bit-Torrent is the digital rights management that is based on custom hardware. The issue is not so much the use of a personal licensed use of a product, but the enforcement of the copyright/license of the licensed product. As an example, one of the current weakness of the Microsoft media format is that the encoding (read encryption) used to prevent someone else from playing your licensed file must have a 'Key' available somewhere to decode and play the file, And knowing where this key is, and what to do with it, you can strip off the protection and convert it into a 'Raw' file to distribute. Video IP will use an key that is kept only in hardware, (usually using a value unique to your TIVO/Set-Top Box/Cable Card). And without access to the hardware key, the protection can't be removed. And of course, it is much much harder to try to crack and duplicate a ASIC silicon chip then it is to crack software. This type of technology is already being used with satelite dish network systems for control of digital channel subscriptions.... A side effect of the new digitial rights management technology is that you will no longer be able to transfer and view your files on a different machine (like you can with VHS and DVD-R video recording today. You MUST have the hardware with the access 'Key' to be able to access your recorded licensed file. If provisions are made to allow transfer/viewing on different machines, then the allowed number will be restricted, with the unique ID of the allowed machines are embedded in digital rights data in the video stream. If you want the ability to view your video on any machine without having to pre-register them, you'll have to wait until the show comes out on the new HDVD format...

I can see Bit-Torrent being used for the distribution of Trailers/Advertising for TV shows. But with the growing problem of Bootleg DVDs, pirated video files and the growing availability of personal DVD burners, the threat of the loss of revenue to digital subscriptions and aftermarket DVD sales is too great to allow digital distribution without some kind of hardware enforcement...

Related Articles/Sites

Microsoft IPTV webpage...
    http://www.microsoft.com/tv/content/..._Overview.mspx

SBC Communication Press kit page
    http://www.sbc.com/gen/press-room?pid=5838
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Comercials in legal downloads.......????
    I don't even watch commercials on tv, but commercials in downloads, that aint cool.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lord nikon
    Comercials in legal downloads.......????
    I don't even watch commercials on tv, but commercials in downloads, that aint cool.
    It's already being done. There are video's that you veiw on the net that are made so that you have to sit through a sponser commercial before you watch the video. You can turn the sound off but you can't fast forward. Yes it's annoying but if that's how they pay for it I can understand why.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Do you ever feel like you are talking and nobody's listening?

Hassun, I covered the continued use of commercials to prevent loss of income.
    I was talking about digital television, they still have the commercial problem because it was initially designed in a way that you could skip them.

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    I was talking about digital television, they still have the commercial problem because it was initially designed in a way that you could skip them.
    For things like TiVo they're starting up new ways of advertising, one such i've heard is that a small ad pops up in the corner as you fast forward through the regular ads, you can click it for more information or ignore it, either way it's a new form of advertisement to compensate for the fast forwarding.

And Arrianna, eXeem is bit torrent based yes, but it's about as legal as any torrent site or Kazaa program out there, it's an advancement in the bittorrent and P2P system, but soon enough programs like this will be gone as well because of the powerful legal issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast