Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackholes

Newbie Melanic may be famous one day Melanic may be famous one day Melanic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I hate to break this to all of you but you're confusing Black holes/White holes & Worm holes.
    Actually, they're a lot more similar than different. The concept of a worm hole is just a black hole and a white hole connected together. So if you talk about a wormhole, you are also indirectly talking about a black hole. And similarly the other way around, though not always.

About worm holes, theres a theory that if you can brace the worm hole open with exotic matter, which has negative mass and can exert a positve force, it's possible to stabalize the worm hole so that maybe you could go through it.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

To say that 'Black Holes' have yet to be physically encountered is like saying that we don't know the color of an electron. Observations has shown us the existence of objects who's effect on the orbits of gas and particles could only be explained by the presence of a 'Black Hole'. Why they remain a 'Theory' is that no one is completly sure exactly what is at the 'bottom' of a 'Black Hole'. What is known is that under the conditions of a 'hypothetical' black hole, Einstein's theory of relativity with it's defintion of dimensional Space/Time no longer applies... (Einstein himself rejected the concept of black holes when someone pointed out to him that the theory of relativity made this prediction)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanic
    Actually, they're a lot more similar than different. The concept of a worm hole is just a black hole and a white hole connected together. So if you talk about a wormhole, you are also indirectly talking about a black hole. And similarly the other way around, though not always.

About worm holes, theres a theory that if you can brace the worm hole open with exotic matter, which has negative mass and can exert a positve force, it's possible to stabalize the worm hole so that maybe you could go through it.
    Well, hate to break it to ya, but the "wormhole" you are referring to is merely a Schwarzschild wormhole. And it's not a black and white hole connected. it's the area between them. And in case you were wondering, the Schwarzschild wormhole isn't even considered a MAJOR type of wormhole (there are two: Lorentzian and Euclidean).

And on that whole "exotic matter" note, it's entirely theoretical. I mean, we can PREDICT some kinds, but it still is theoretical. much like how we can predict the next few elements, they haven't been discovered yet (which one are we up to now? I stopped keeping track a while ago).

Exotic matter IS interesting, though. Offa wikipedia (god bless it, haha), the description they had of the possible space use made me think of free energy. They said Robert L. Forward proposed using it for spaceship propulsion, and that it could be used without energy requirements (or at least that's how I interpreted it). Free energy? Maybe.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Newbie Melanic may be famous one day Melanic may be famous one day Melanic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    And on that whole "exotic matter" note, it's entirely theoretical. I mean, we can PREDICT some kinds, but it still is theoretical. much like how we can predict the next few elements, they haven't been discovered yet (which one are we up to now? I stopped keeping track a while ago).
    I DID say it was a theory, you didn't have to go out of your way to say it again.

Just looked up the other 2 types you mentioned, I remember them being mentioned in a show I watched on string theory. It's too bad they completly slipped my mind.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanic
    Just looked up the other 2 types you mentioned, I remember them being mentioned in a show I watched on string theory. It's too bad they completly slipped my mind.
    If your talking about 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy' there's streaming video clips available from this PBS program...
    http://www.pbs.org/saf/1405/video/watchonline.htm

And there's also 'The Elegant Universe' PBS website located here...
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

If your talking about 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy' there's streaming video clips available from this PBS program...
    http://www.pbs.org/saf/1405/video/watchonline.htm

And there's also 'The Elegant Universe' PBS website located here...
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/
    Hmm, I think it could be the second one, it was a 3 or 4 part series hosted by some guy in the "quantum cafe" where anything that's possible in theory happens, like a person walking through walls. It's interesting stuff.

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think a conscious human entity can actually report the events upon contact with the event horizon (the theoretical point of singularity in the middle of the black hole), simply because all known laws of physics would break down at the moment of contact...so how the heck can radio work if radio is simply part of the spectrum of light (rightmost portion)? Recording wouldn't also work because of the same principle. If light doesn't work anymore (because it itself is being sucked into the e.h.) , how does one convey information then?

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion
    I don't think a conscious human entity can actually report the events upon contact with the event horizon (the theoretical point of singularity in the middle of the black hole), simply because all known laws of physics would break down at the moment of contact...so how the heck can radio work if radio is simply part of the spectrum of light (rightmost portion)? Recording wouldn't also work because of the same principle. If light doesn't work anymore (because it itself is being sucked into the e.h.) , how does one convey information then?

-RODION
    Ahh... we're discovering new things at a slow, but sure pace. I'd like to think that by the time we can actually get close to a Black Hole, we'd have some "new" kind of communication.

You gotta think, it would be a "few" years before we actually can even get OUT of this universe, as someone pointed out.
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast