Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Blackholes

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodion
    I don't think a conscious human entity can actually report the events upon contact with the event horizon (the theoretical point of singularity in the middle of the black hole), simply because all known laws of physics would break down at the moment of contact...so how the heck can radio work if radio is simply part of the spectrum of light (rightmost portion)? Recording wouldn't also work because of the same principle. If light doesn't work anymore (because it itself is being sucked into the e.h.) , how does one convey information then?

-RODION
    Er... The event horizon isn't in the middle of the black hole. The event horizon is kind of like the outer covering. Event horizon is the point at which nothing can escape the black hole's gravitational pull, not the black hole itself. Furthermore, black holes don't 'suck' anything. Up to the event horizon they behave like any other gravitational mass of the appropriate size. I.E. a black hole resulting from a star with five solar masses still has, more or less, five solar masses.

Edit: To elaborate on that, let's say theoretically our own sun could become a black hole (current theory posits that it can't) without first destroying mercury, mars, earth, etc. Would our orbitting planets be consumed by the black hole? No, because the black hole would still have the same mass and gravitational effects on the planets as it did as a sun.
    Last edited by erosennin; Jun 02, 2005 at 04:02 AM.

Newbie sorrowfulkiller may be famous one day sorrowfulkiller may be famous one day sorrowfulkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erosennin
    Er... The event horizon isn't in the middle of the black hole. The event horizon is kind of like the outer covering. Event horizon is the point at which nothing can escape the black hole's gravitational pull, not the black hole itself. Furthermore, black holes don't 'suck' anything. Up to the event horizon they behave like any other gravitational mass of the appropriate size. I.E. a black hole resulting from a star with five solar masses still has, more or less, five solar masses.

Edit: To elaborate on that, let's say theoretically our own sun could become a black hole (current theory posits that it can't) without first destroying mercury, mars, earth, etc. Would our orbitting planets be consumed by the black hole? No, because the black hole would still have the same mass and gravitational effects on the planets as it did as a sun.
    It's sort of like a whirlpool then, once you get into it (the event horizon) you would need to expend loads of energy to get out (if even possible with a black hole) and you probably wouldn't get out, but also like other planetary entities, you could slingshot yourself with its own gravatational pull. Inter-solar-system jumping here we come!
    If I gave you pretty enough words.
    could you pain a picture of us that works.
    an emphasis on function rather than design.
    aren't you tired cause I will carry you, on a broken back
    and blown out knees, I have been where you are for a while..
    Aren't you tired of being weak?
    Such rage that you could scream. the stars right out of the sky
    And destroy the prettiest starry night. every evening that I die.

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks
    To escape it you would need more than the energy of the force pulling you in. In essence, the power of a star.
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

Newbie sorrowfulkiller may be famous one day sorrowfulkiller may be famous one day sorrowfulkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninrev Sirgem
    To escape it you would need more than the energy of the force pulling you in. In essence, the power of a star.
    Or in this case, more power than all the powers that has gone into and makes up the black hole.

Luitenant - "CAPTAIN! WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGHT POWER!, PREPARE TO BECOME SQUISHED LIKE A LITTLE ANT!"

Capt. - "Great just what I wanted to do today, get squished together with you the 'gay-lord' of the ship"

Luitenant - "Well I thought it be kinda ni..."

Capt. "Don't finish that sentence... please "
    If I gave you pretty enough words.
    could you pain a picture of us that works.
    an emphasis on function rather than design.
    aren't you tired cause I will carry you, on a broken back
    and blown out knees, I have been where you are for a while..
    Aren't you tired of being weak?
    Such rage that you could scream. the stars right out of the sky
    And destroy the prettiest starry night. every evening that I die.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrowfulkiller
    It's sort of like a whirlpool then, once you get into it (the event horizon) you would need to expend loads of energy to get out (if even possible with a black hole) and you probably wouldn't get out, but also like other planetary entities, you could slingshot yourself with its own gravatational pull. Inter-solar-system jumping here we come!
    Well, here's the thing. I myself don't know of anything that can travel faster than light. Even if something does exist that travels faster than light, we don't know of it, or whether it travels with enough energy to escape a black hole. As it stands, light cannot escape once it has entered the event horizon. In order to escape, you would need to be travelling at some speed faster than light, ponentially exponentially faster.

Furthermore, if you wanted to use a black hole to 'slingshot' you'd need to have something capable of travelling extremely fast already. Like I said before, a black hole with five solar masses isn't going to act any different from anything else with five solar masses in the universe. If you wanted to slingshot, a good prospect would be a black hole with a billion or so solar masses, but then you're still suffering the effects from travelling close to something so huge.

Newbie anime_samurai may be famous one day anime_samurai may be famous one day anime_samurai's Avatar
    Thanks

light

I really dout there is something faster than light but even if there was something wouldn't the gravity crush it istantly as soon as it got into the black hole because if it can suck in a star and crush it, it probably would crush everythimg that is in it
    Anime Samurai

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually we know there are particles faster then light.

What that actually means in the long run??? Who knows....

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Actually we know there are particles faster then light.

What that actually means in the long run??? Who knows....
    Oh, wait... are we talking about neutrinos?... something... *sighs* I have a feeling we covered that in astronomy, but it's escaping me at the moment. I'll have to dig up my textbook later and try and find it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast