Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: can games be used to creat a violent person?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragor
    The person would already have to be violent in the first place, and they'd have to have a difficulty seperating fiction, from reality.

Also the military does use certain videogames for training, but they are especially designed for them, and obviously not sold to the public. However they do alter some of the games that the military uses for us to use.

And as False Truth said they have simulators as well, which are pretty much videogames in a way also.
    ditto.

Like False Truth said "The real thing always makes a big difference and can mentally and emotionally harm people, if they weren't ready or can't handle it." The reason the simulators help with that is not just the equipment training but by desensetizing the soldier to the violence they will be experiencing for real. There are some games out there that can have a similar desensitization effect so if someone who has difficulty "seperating fiction, from reality" plays them it can lead to problems. It is the exception however not the rule.

My question is, is a desensitization to violence a good thing? If not then what does that say about useing games like that for entertainment?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Icarus may be famous one day Icarus may be famous one day Icarus's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think not. In fact, I think more toward the opposite in most cases, why go out killing when you can do it in a video-game without consequence, well besides in the game itself. (this might sound off topic but it just proves my point) Japan has a huge amount of dating sims, some with topics like rape, and well one reason they were made is to curb violent crime and, well, it has. I am not sure if the games are fully responsible but I am sure they can be attributed to it.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I too agree w/ false truth, but really games are supposed to be made for one thing, fun.(and for others stress relief.)

But violent video games aren't the only things that could drive a person to kill.
    tv, books, both of these are ways of entertainment as well, and they have violence and suggestive themes in them as well. The media in general could cause a mentally unstable person,(or small children) to kill based on what they see/hear.

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I have a counter-question for you.

"If video games make people violent, does that mean that spoons make people (like Rosie O'Donnell... and me) fat?"

Otaku ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23 may be famous one day ffgirl23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    No but they can strengthen the resolve of an already violent and mentally ill person.
    That's very true. And unfortunately, people only see that someone plays violent games, and they never mention the fact that they already had a lot of problems before the games came into play. But more and more studies show that gaming can help relieve stress, and that frequent gamers have better hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills. But these studies will never hold any clout as long a there are people out there who would rather take the easy way out and blame an object, rather than the person.

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is simply a case of triggers.

Some people were born with a certain extent of mental instability. Thus, even though they walk among us, and talk and act normal, some of them do have violent tendencies, but we just don't know what triggers it. Thus, anything, whether it be a violent, realistic computer game (simulation), or a "fun" sim, or even just a spoon, can trigger someone to become violent. This is the basis/foundation for "sleeper" agents that were used in deep covert operations by both the CIA and KGB during the cold war eras. Psychologists knew that you can condition a certain person to become aggressive violent only after receiving a very specific type of stimuli (i.e. a trigger) such as a ring of a bell, or a whistle with a specific note, so they "programmed" or brainwashed the minds of some agents so that they can forget being agents for a while, and only be "activated" after receiving that specific stimulus.

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Newbie nospheratus may be famous one day nospheratus may be famous one day nospheratus's Avatar
    Thanks
    The video game cannot create a violent person. The same for the movie or book. On the base the person is violent or peaceful. All of the above will may be awoke their violience more rapidly or give them a reason.

In the past, before the video game and movie, violent person have existed. Instead of video game, other reason have given them the reason to kill.

The thing that can create a violent person, is the life, too much stress, violent family or area, child hood education... Or simply, the person is only bad...

Otaku AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nospheratus
    The video game cannot create a violent person. The same for the movie or book. On the base the person is violent or peaceful. All of the above will may be awoke their violience more rapidly or give them a reason.

In the past, before the video game and movie, violent person have existed. Instead of video game, other reason have given them the reason to kill.

The thing that can create a violent person, is the life, too much stress, violent family or area, child hood education... Or simply, the person is only bad...
    Agreeing with Nospheratus. Games can't really create a bad, evil, w/e person. But I'll give games credit for distracting many ppl from their own life. Games keep you sitting in ur chair or w/e all day making u lazy, fat, and all the other symptoms ppl dislike. It been said that America has alot of over weight let say younglings. And i wonder what keeps ppl from going outside...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast