Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what the '-chan' and '-san' at the end of names means?

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

Can someone tell me what the '-chan' and '-san' at the end of names means?

Like, when someone says 'Arekkusu-san', or 'Arekkusu-chan' or Arekkusu-whatever, what does that mean?

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Death is the beginning Lighting Count may be famous one day Lighting Count may be famous one day Lighting Count's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Can someone tell me what the '-chan' and '-san' at the end of names means?

no one every uses it on my name so i wouldn't know, but my guess would be that one means boy and the other girl.

Code Name Wind

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

Nah. It's got something to do with formality, I believe.

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Newbie Aeneas Galis may be famous one day Aeneas Galis may be famous one day Aeneas Galis's Avatar
    Thanks

san and chan are kinda like mr and mrs in english san is for men and i believe that chan is for women hope that helps
    "you heard it too.... the voice of the wind" (sdk)

im a ninja-u cant c me bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Galis
    san and chan are kinda like mr and mrs in english san is for men and i believe that chan is for women hope that helps
    ya u are right
    Last edited by bloodhawk; Mar 07, 2006 at 07:03 PM.

IM BACK

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

-chan means "little" as a term of endearment... like how you would call someone "Johnny" instead of "John" or "Lizzy" instead of "Elizabeth"

-san is a more casual way of saying Mr./Mrs./Ms., more like what you would say to someone you know... like a classmate or something...

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Abu covered everything! They are used to show respect for others, basically. For example, you will have to call me: Sagara-Kun. Haha. It is other respect suffix in Japanese. However, it is the not the only language that employ those suffixes...

Sanscrit has multiple number of those suffixes...care to know a few?

1) _____-Ruu. It means sweetie or little one. Mostly used by parents or older people towards younger people.

2) _____-Sami. Have the same meaning as the Japanese suffix -Sama. Means lord or honored. However, they are used mainly associated with martial artists.

There are several others...if you wish to learn PM me, dude.

im a ninja-u cant c me bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks sagara-kun he good to here from the person whos jap.

IM BACK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast