Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what the '-chan' and '-san' at the end of names means?

Elie Jelly elie26 may be famous one day elie26 may be famous one day elie26's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Can someone tell me what the '-chan' and '-san' at the end of names means?

Quote Originally Posted by kedar
    Abu covered everything! They are used to show respect for others, basically. For example, you will have to call me: Sagara-Kun. Haha. It is other respect suffix in Japanese. However, it is the not the only language that employ those suffixes...

Sanscrit has multiple number of those suffixes...care to know a few?

1) _____-Ruu. It means sweetie or little one. Mostly used by parents or older people towards younger people.

2) _____-Sami. Have the same meaning as the Japanese suffix -Sama. Means lord or honored. However, they are used mainly associated with martial artists.

There are several others...if you wish to learn PM me, dude.
    er...i wan lessons!!

Otaku alison_faith may be famous one day alison_faith may be famous one day alison_faith's Avatar
    Thanks

they are honorifics for people.
    "The face is the mirror of the mind, and the eyes,without speaking, confess the secrets of the heart." - Saint Jerome

Newbie Relena228 may be famous one day Relena228 may be famous one day
    Thanks

to be completely blunt..."chan" you would only use with a friend or someone who you didnt know very well......"san" you would normally use with someone who's really close to you....ie wife, husband, bf/gf
    Love & Peace
    ~Dylan~

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

What about kun? And are there others?

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Relena228
    to be completely blunt..."chan" you would only use with a friend or someone who you didnt know very well......"san" you would normally use with someone who's really close to you....ie wife, husband, bf/gf
    Listen to the Japanese person. He knows what he is talking about.

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

-kun=usually a male thats younger than you or that you're close to.
    -chan=a little girl or boy or anyone that you're close to.
    -san=someone older than you or someone that you respect

...These are my explanations and they're not perfect... and I dont feel like discussing the other ones like -dono, or -sama unless you really want to know...
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh hell, let's just write them all out, shall we?

Honorifics 101

Must Be Used with Names
    ___-san :: Used as a general honorific. Most commonly seen with people who you are not familiar with, or with people who you know but are not very friendly with.
    ___-chan :: Used for younger children, and older girls. More informal than -san, this is used usually with a given name rather than a family name.
    ___-kun :: Used for older boys. Like -chan, it is also more informal. Less commonly known, -kun can also be applicable to girls/women when they are in a more masculine role (business for example) or if the woman is more highly respected.
    ___-sama :: English translated in anime to "lord or lady". This is used with people you want to show more respect to, or for people you idolize (like, a celebrity or someone). It is more formal and respectful than -san.
    ___-dono :: This is the highest honorific for respect. It is the most formal of the name honorifics. To use this after someone's name denotes ultimate respect. It is no longer common in daily speech, but I believe you can hear it in the original Japanese of Rurouni Kenshin or Samurai 7.
    No honorific :: This is considered extremely casual and usually you are only allowed to do this if the person tells you that you can. Not using an honorific usually means you have an extremely intimate (friendly or romantic) relationship with the person.

Can Be Used with Names or Alone

Sempai(___-sempai) :: Can be an older person still considered a peer or with a person who is more knowledgable in a certain area. For example, in school, a 1st year would refer to a 2nd or 3rd year at 'sempai'.
    Kouhai(___-kouhai) :: The opposite of 'sempai', it refers to younger peers. In the school example, a 3rd year would call a 2nd or 1st year 'kouhai'.
    Sensei(___-sensei) :: Used to refer to not only teachers, but also doctors and authors, lawyers, etc.
    Bozu(___-bozu) :: An informal way of referring to a young boy. It is similiar to "kid" or "squirt". Asuna from Mahou Sensei Negima calls Negi "Negi-bozu".
    Heika(___-heika) :: Used for royalty. Doesn't seem like it fits in with the others I put down, but I just thought I'd mention it because you hear it all the time in Kyou Kara Maou. It means "Your majesty" or "Your majesty ___". Joo-heiki is the female version. Geika is similiar, but means "Your highness". Seriously, ALL the time in Kyou Kara Maou.

This is all I can think of for right now. Lemme just see if I can find a Wikipedia site that explains any more or at least these in more detail... There's one!
    >>Japanese titles - Wikipedia<<
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanx LittleHobbit13!! You saved us some work
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast