Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: censorship: your opinion

Newbie jkun17 may be famous one day jkun17 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Censorship in whatever context is 100% wrong.

To hide people or to prevent them from confronting what they disagree with is immoral and detrimental to society. True, people would rather not see what they do not want to see, but does that excuse media outlets from preventing the broadcast of a story simply on the basis that people don't want to watch it?

No.

I don't remember the name of the parent group, but in Southern Texas a group of parents created a petition to prevent the sale of of certain mangas including Love Hina, Tenchi Muyo, Ah My Goddess and other "Super Harem" mangas on the basis that it "promoted polygamy." They tried to ban Sabre Marionette J because the lovable gay guy was "an advocate for homosexual behavior." They tried to get the state court to block the importation of a large number of comics and other books because of the "social norms" that they were breaching.

I feel that it was irresponsible for those parents to try to shield their children from changing social norms. I do not feel that simply because something is accepted by society, it should not be questioned. Debate, if done and used appropriately is the best way for people to exchange ideas and produce solutions. Controversy forces people to confront what they do not believe is right and can either reinforce their belief or make them question their decision. It is not important whether or not minds are changed; as long as people have taken the time to process their thoughts they have opened their minds enough to accept that they may be wrong.

The problem with censorship is that it allows people to go about life believing that they are always right. No matter what mistakes they may commit, their way of life is the absolute pinnacle of righteousness. And that is dangerous.

In Nazi Germany, high ranking members of the Nazi party not only believed that the extermination of Jews, Russians and other non-Aryans was not only the right thing to do, but that God wanted it. The censorship and propaganda in Germany at that time was enough to convince them that they could not be wrong and for about 7 to 8 years they continued their malicious acts.

In the South before the Civil War, plantation owners lived believing that slavery was right. They were cruel and ruthless to their slaves and they believed that they were rewarded for doing so.

In the 1960's African Americans were treated unfairly nearly everywhere and people turned a blind eye until Martin Luther King Jr., Malcom X and a vast number of other activists decided to take a stand and create create controversy. They stood where no one believed they could and forced people to question whether segregation and prejudice was right. The "Little Rock 7" were the first African Americans to attend a traditionally all white school and created a HUGE ammount of controversy that even forced the Federal Government to take a stand.

Thanks to President Truman, the Army was desegregated because of the uproar of returning African American soldiers from WWII demanding equal treatment. Their call was, "Good enough to die for America, but not good enough to live in America." President Eisenhower used the US Army to protect the "Little Rock 7" as they went to school. Eisenhower even allowed the FBI to send agents to protect other black students in the same situation. Because of activists, national policy has changed and so has the general concensus of society.

People breached the wall of censorship with protests and their message was heard and acted upon.

Had cencorship not been an issue I strongly feel that the Civil Rights movement would have marched much faster than it did, and I have no doubt that if cencorship not been in play leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcom X would not have had to die for their cause. Had the distribution of information been more important to media outlets than comforting their consituency, the hundreds who died for Civil Rights would not have.

Cencorship is wrong. It is wrong because it hides us from truth and problems in our society. Cencorship on any level is wrong. People have to know what is happening today to make better decisions for tomorrow. Otherwise we are caught in all our yesterdays where our problems remain unsolved.

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanguinary_wonderland
    i agree, especially when turning the character into a girl totally destroys their original character.

Mod Edit:

but lets not forget about sailor moon. i miss that show
    Haha...yes...cannot forget sailor moon...one of the animes that i watched as a kid for years...but anyway back to the topic

I find that censorship is sorta wierd....i mean...people are gonna see it sooner or later...but then again...i guess its ok with kids..i mean kids got the most creative minds of alll the age differences...so then...think about it...kids with creativity watching uncensored things...what do u think they would think? Haha.....but for people that are teens...i dont see any problem with censorship...i mean..hey..it just messes up the mood of things....but thats just my opinion

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think they should censor a thing........id say its just more up to the parents who either do or don't want their children watching certain programs.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun17
    Censorship in whatever context is 100% wrong.

To hide people or to prevent them from confronting what they disagree with is immoral and detrimental to society. True, people would rather not see what they do not want to see, but does that excuse media outlets from preventing the broadcast of a story simply on the basis that people don't want to watch it?

No.
    Actually, yes it does. Unless you are speaking of the news, media outlets are based upon providing a service to their customers. If they don't supply what the customers want they go out of business. It's called supply and demand.

I feel that it was irresponsible for those parents to try to shield their children from changing social norms. I do not feel that simply because something is accepted by society, it should not be questioned. Debate, if done and used appropriately is the best way for people to exchange ideas and produce solutions. Controversy forces people to confront what they do not believe is right and can either reinforce their belief or make them question their decision. It is not important whether or not minds are changed; as long as people have taken the time to process their thoughts they have opened their minds enough to accept that they may be wrong.

The problem with censorship is that it allows people to go about life believing that they are always right. No matter what mistakes they may commit, their way of life is the absolute pinnacle of righteousness. And that is dangerous.
    This is what I call a circular argument. It is only correct if your point of view is correct and theirs isn't, but who decides? You claim you want things to be questioned and debated but if someone doesn't agree with you and chooses to not exposes their children to it until they are old enough to think for themselves you accuse them of being irresponsible. However anyone who doesn't agree that the things you are talking about is normal would feel that anyone who did expose their children to it are actually the ones being irresponsible. Yes, debate and questioning is a good thing but only once the person involved is acctually old enough to understand the question being asked. Preventing a child from watching something that you as a parent doesn't agree with (whatever it is that the parent believes in) isn't censorship, it's being a responsible parent.

Cencorship is wrong. It is wrong because it hides us from truth and problems in our society. Cencorship on any level is wrong. People have to know what is happening today to make better decisions for tomorrow. Otherwise we are caught in all our yesterdays where our problems remain unsolved.
    Interesting summery, and at an adult level I'm not sure I dissagree. However I feel that no one so far has actually defind what they feel that this cencorship is generally. With the exception of a single group in Texas and parents protecting their children you yourself cite civil history but no actual example of the cencorship you are condeming.

from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

cen·sor

1. A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.
    2. An official, as in the armed forces, who examines personal mail and official dispatches to remove information considered secret or a risk to security.
    3. One that condemns or censures.
    4. One of two officials in ancient Rome responsible for taking the public census and supervising public behavior and morals.
    5. Psychology. The agent in the unconscious that is responsible for censorship.

tr.v. cen·sored, cen·sor·ing, cen·sors

To examine and expurgate.

If you wish me to be offended give me better examples to be offended by. As for the issue of the character in inuyasha, I haven't seen enough of it to have an opinion. Nor do I know the age group that is expected to be watching it.

I do find it interesting that the person who posted the origanal comment is from "toronto ontario canada" and yet everyone begins talking about censorship in the US. News flash guys, the world doesn't revolve solely around us. From what I have heard the media in Canada is controlled to a great degree by their government. I would like very much to hear what they think about it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie sanguinary_wonderland may be famous one day sanguinary_wonderland may be famous one day sanguinary_wonderland's Avatar
    i'm a girl, I live in toronto ontario canada and no its not always cold up here.
    Thanks
    ok, but i mean when they have the show on a channel like for instance, here in toronto the network known as ytv plays inuyasha at 10:00 pm and also has a warning before it stating that the following program is intended for an older youth audience, pg. so really what do you expect? they put a warning like that and you expect parents that "care" to let their kids watch it after seeing a warning like that? pg means like 13 and up. thats about the age when kids should start to understand homosexuality. and i think smart parents would help their kids to understand something like that. so lady barronmore, please consider this. it is rediculous to let your kid grow up and not know the world. remember pg, that means parental guidance, meaning when the parent is watching it with their kid, if they are homophobic and dont want their kid to see this character as a homosexual, the solution is as easy as the click of a remote. i have made my point. kuddos.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think many of you are confusing "censorship" with "editorial decisions."

"Censorship" is something done by the government (either state, local, or federal).

An "editorial decision" is made by a private entity. The example from InuYasha is an "editorial decision." The company that holds the North American rights to InuYasha (VIZ) made the decision that in the version to be offered for broadcast the homosexual character would be changed to a female character.

No one told them that the HAD to make the change, rather the person directing the edit and the redub into English made a conscious decision that the character would be female.

Like it or not, the majority of America still is quite conservative in their values and having an obviously homosexual character seen on a children's network (face it, Cartoon Network is a children's network) could cause quite the backlash. Mr and Mrs America are for the most part not yet in tune with the nature of these cartoons that are imported from Japan. They still seen animation as something for the kiddies to watch and not the venue for dealing with "adult" themes.

In addition, you all may think you're "mature" but most parents don't think that their 11-15 year old child (the core North American audience for InuYasha) is even close to mature, especially when it comes to issues of sexuality.

Now I've seen many of you mention that it's up to the parents to decide what the kids watch, and this is true. It's also true that anyone who is offended by the content should just change the channel, which also is true. But I submit to you that the network DOESN'T want the channel changed. As seen by the last election in the US, the majority of Americans are anti-gay. If you include a gay character, millions of parents change the channel, and the ratings go down. If ratings go down, advertisers go elsewhere and the advertising revenue (which drives commercial cable channels) dries up. Lower revenues mean less budget to pay for the anime and instead of watching InuYasha with a minor character that has switched genders, you get hour after hour of old "Wacky Races" episodes.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well said Zui Quan. Thank you.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie sanguinary_wonderland may be famous one day sanguinary_wonderland may be famous one day sanguinary_wonderland's Avatar
    i'm a girl, I live in toronto ontario canada and no its not always cold up here.
    Thanks
    i do agree it just really bothers me that parents wont let their kids open up to the world. its not like watching something like will and grace is going to warp the mind of a child it hasnt warped mine yet (or has it?) but anyway everyone on this thread has a good point and a well said one. i just hope one day, no matter how important religion is to the human race, they see through the eyes of someone who is not accepted by the world and learn the inconvenience of it. but really thank you for posting, its made me feel a lot better to not see things so biased.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast