Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: censorship: your opinion

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    The key as an artist is balancing the marketability of your product and keeping an interest in what you do through constantly expanding and changing. That also helps in being saleable but there are plenty of artists who find something that works and then sticks with it. That doesn't make their art any less artistic. If I said to you, "painter of light", would you know who I was talking about? Alll he paints is cottages in picturesk nature settings. He loves what he does and it shows. His work is unmistakable and has made him known internationally, but don't think if his work became unpopular and stopped selling that he wouldn't try something new. It's how they make their living. If it doesn't sell, they move on.

Marketing on the other hand is completely different. That is the "art" of convincing someone they want something they didn't even knew existed. The two are not the same though they often go hand in hand.

MTV is transitional because it makes it's money off of fads/trends. In design one of the first things you learn is that there are two types of customers, the ones who want something that will last and the ones who want the latest hot trend. If you're selling to the former it's best to direct them to "traditional" products because the trendy product will be "dated" within 2 years. If the product only costs $10-20 that's not a big deal but when it costs $1,000-2,000 it's another story entirely. Even marketing makes that differation when determining target markets and how to sell a given product.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    That's why I hate MTV. They go with what's hip and then 5 years later they're making fun of it. It's stupid. Besides, shouldn't the job of your company be to just satisfy the customer and not care how much money you make off it? I hate greed, even though it claims just about everyone sooner or later.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    Besides, shouldn't the job of your company be to just satisfy the customer and not care how much money you make off it?
    No. It's not.

If a company isn't in bussiness to make money it's called a non-profit organization and the rules are completely different. If it's not a non-profit organization it's in bussiness to make money. They DO that BY supplying a need of the customers. It's in their best interest to make the customer happy so they CAN make more money. People's livelyhood depends upon the company they work for making money, otherwise they can't survive. It's not necesarily selfishness, it's making a living. Being able to eat and pay for rent. Things like that that are necessary if we're not going to have people on welfare/the Dole.

People who make big money for the most part earn it. Personally I don't feel working 60-80 hours a week in a high-stress environment is worth it.

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    I hate censorship above all other things, including my friend Tim, he is an ass! I belive that anything censored in the U.S. goes against the constitution.
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thevampirealacrud
    I belive that anything censored in the U.S. goes against the constitution.
    Actually the Constitution has nothing to do with censorship. It's the Bill of Rights that covers:
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Freedom of speech and censorship in this case is not the same thing however since most of what is being discussed is actually Editing. It's a common mistake these days since much of the media and Hollywood has taken to calling anything they don't agree with as censorship whether it is or isn't.

freedom of speech
    : the right to express information, ideas, and opinions free of government restrictions based on content and subject only to reasonable limitations (as the power of the government to avoid a clear and present danger) esp. as guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution

ed·it
    tr.v. ed·it·ed, ed·it·ing, ed·its

1. To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.
    2. To prepare an edition of for publication: edit a collection of short stories.
    3. To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable: edited her remarks for presentation to a younger audience.

2. To supervise the publication of (a newspaper or magazine, for example).
    3. To assemble the components of (a film or soundtrack, for example), as by cutting and splicing.
    4. To eliminate; delete: edited the best scene out.

It is purely a business decision. Nothing more nothing less.

Newbie Stormraven may be famous one day Stormraven may be famous one day
    Thanks
    There's something I think this discussion has been missing. America, and many other countries, has swung so far in favor of 'tolerance' that they have forgotten or ignored one critical factor of a stable nation: moral obligation.

Before everyone jumps down my throat, let me make one thing clear. I do not believe that a government has the right to censor the media/public, except, as Arrianna said, in the case of a clear and present danger.

That said, I do believe that every citizen has a moral obligation to stand up for his or her beliefs, whatever they may be. This can be done many ways, the simplest of course being voting, but it goes farther than that. If you are the maker of a product, for you to present something that you are not simply opposed too, but believe to be immoral, then you are betraying not only yourself but everyone who views that product. It's called personal accountability.

This belief is the reason that, though I am personally conservative and am often irritated/disgusted/outraged by the things Hollywood, music companies, etc, produce, I do not deny their right to make them, even when they directly contradict my beliefs. They are following their beliefs. (When they're not following the almighty dollar that is.)

But this is also why I have no objection to companies altering movies, cutting parts of scenes, or (to get back to the specific example) changing a characters gender to avoid an issue they don't believe is appropriate confront a certain age group with.

It's easy to cry censorship when someone does something you don't like. But in the end it's the maker of the product who has the ultimate responsibility.

Newbie BrianD may be famous one day BrianD may be famous one day BrianD's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormraven

But this is also why I have no objection to companies altering movies, cutting parts of scenes, or (to get back to the specific example) changing a characters gender to avoid an issue they don't believe is appropriate confront a certain age group with.
    Like this? Click Me!
    :Thumbd:

[ - Want a sig? Click here for one! - ]

Newbie Stormraven may be famous one day Stormraven may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Granted that's a more extensive alteration than normal, but it still is their right.

Just as it's your right to object and pull together campain to let them know your of your objections.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast