Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cheaters

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    hm.....throughout highschool and even in university i've done some cheating myself and seen others do it as well.

IMO, people who breeze through highschool either by schools jacking up grades or by cheating their way through, get a harsh reality check once they hit university/college. Now~ I'm not saying you can't cheat in Uni, but if you weren't up to par, unless you were able to cheat your way through all your courses, it wouldn't be long until you failed out.

I came from a school where teachers DON'T jack up grades and are strict about grading (most of the time), failing a student means failing a student, no if ands or buts. Mind you this also means there's a lot of communication between the school and the parents (and since it was a Catholic school, either the child chose to be there, or the parents did, in which case, they would at least listen to the school). There needs to be respect and communication on both sides.

But it's tough, schools need funding and parents think their children are angels.

Some teachers can to some extent prevent cheating tho. (clearing desks, no pencil cases, spreading desks, shifting seat rows so people don't sit close to their friends, etc.) they just gotta keep the kids on their toes so they minimize chances of cheating. Sometimes this means making test harder or more application rather than memorizing things from the text.

In highschool I didn't find cheating that big of a prob, what bothered me the most was how other schools would jack up marks while ours had a strict marking scheme (with strict teachers).
    It was plain and simple, studnets in our school would get high 80s, but had we been at another school we would be getting mid 90s easy! That became an issue when university/college apps were due. *shrug* i guess it wasn't fair but it worked out i guess, i'm still in uni and not a drop out
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Newbie Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick's Avatar
    Thanks
    It just seems to me that cheating has gone the way of sex and violence nowadays: Everyone wants it. It seems our morals in the US have been dissapearing lately making people into whatever happens, happens attitude where they don't care and just do it or let it happen. There needs to be some kind of stricter system to engage cheating better because our methods now are not successful at all when applied to a classroom or school.

-xanga(link coming soon)-blogger(link coming soon)-website(link coming soon)-profile(link coming soon)

Newbie Ashi may be famous one day Ashi may be famous one day Ashi's Avatar
    Thanks
    A big deal? Yeah, sure. A huge, earth-shattering deal that will increase illiteracy rates across the country? I think that's milking it.

Kids learn to read and write long before they fully develop a full understanding of cheating, let alone before they do ANY activities that would motivate them to cheat.

I don't know about America, but up here in Canadian univserities, cheating is very difficult, and carries hugely strict penalties. Two tests are made and handed out alternating to avoid adjecent students with the same questions. Under no circumstances are you allowed to leave the class during an exam. Calculators capable of anything other than arithmetic are banned outright. Anti-plagiarism programs are being developped and used. Etc. Etc. Etc. Students who manage to get by all this and get caught are kicked off the course and likely will get kicked out of the university.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, but there's only so much that can be done. I barely have enough time to worry about my university career. Let the guys trained in this stuff handle it.

Newbie Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick may be famous one day Jmccormick's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashi
    A big deal? Yeah, sure. A huge, earth-shattering deal that will increase illiteracy rates across the country? I think that's milking it.

Kids learn to read and write long before they fully develop a full understanding of cheating, let alone before they do ANY activities that would motivate them to cheat.

I don't know about America, but up here in Canadian univserities, cheating is very difficult, and carries hugely strict penalties.
    How can you criticize something you don't know about? It seems rather strange to me, and after that, having to compare America and Canada. There's a difference between the views of America and what America really is. Anyhow, of course kids learn to read and write at an early age, but the fact that they want to read and write with consistency is questionable to me. After a few years of hearing tales and lessons, who says that an individual child wants to know more than that? A lot of work given to a child can make him to think it's too much and become lazy about it, thus forcing them to copy homework and cheat rather than doing it and finding answers on their own.

-xanga(link coming soon)-blogger(link coming soon)-website(link coming soon)-profile(link coming soon)

Newbie brian_tr may be famous one day brian_tr may be famous one day
    Thanks
    well i'm in high school right now and i guess i may cheat a little but it doesn't involve getting answers off other people or antyhing, i usually just try to find easier ways around a problem, like in math i'll program my calculator to do certain things faster then i could do it by hand but at least i programmed it myself
    other people enter answers in their calculator which i always thought as pointless but in the end its pretty much the same.
    i dunno i guess people cheat because we're lazy and want to get around the system. and while i don't really care if the person next to me cheats, i'll give them hell if i find them cheating off me
    interesting topic though.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashi
    I don't know about America, but up here in Canadian univserities, cheating is very difficult, and carries hugely strict penalties. .....

I'm not saying it's not a problem, but there's only so much that can be done.
    Oh to clarify, i'm in Canada too, where what U do you go to? I'm in UWat. And yes cheating IS difficult and there are strict penalties not just for exams but also for assignments and projects but in no way is it impossible. I mean, as long as their are rules, a small percentage of people are going to try and get around them. Some are desperate, some are just plain lazy. I mean the time you spend to make up cheat sheets, worry about getting caught, don't you think you can study some?

If caught for cheating, not only do you get a mark of 0 for the item you cheated on (assignment, exam, etc) but you get Negative of the value of the item....so if it was 50% of your final mark you would get -50 on top of your final mark (ie: potentially -50% to 0%) And if caught cheating twice (no matter if it's an assignment or exam) you get kicked out altho i think if you get caught cheating on a final exam you're just simply kicked out.

On the flip side, personally, I've been caught "cheating" on an assignment that I can say I honestly DID NOT cheat on. It was f*cked up cuz it was other people cheating (there was little to deny -- more than half the assignment was identical) and I have 1 friggin "similar" answer and they book me as well! WTF??? But they caught it right before finals and I didn't want to spend my studying time arguing to admin all the way up to the dean of the fac. So now I'm black listed and one more false move and I'm out of there.

[/b]anyone else have been caught for cheating they did not do?[/b]
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Newbie JonMItz may be famous one day JonMItz may be famous one day JonMItz's Avatar
    Thanks
    its ironic but more often than not i see people caught get cheating for not cheating and not getting caught cheating for actually cheating.

its hard to draw the line between what is cheating and what is not cheating
    Last edited by JonMItz; Nov 10, 2004 at 06:10 PM. Reason: i like pie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2