Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Choice? Or born with it?

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Choice? Or born with it?

Nothing in life is set in stone, you do what you want to so if it isn't what you want go look in the mirror for someone to blame.

Otaku Libitina may be famous one day Libitina may be famous one day Libitina's Avatar
    Thanks

To my opinion its based upon choices and also the influences that you have around you.......

Newbie WaNaBeFaNgIrL may be famous one day WaNaBeFaNgIrL may be famous one day WaNaBeFaNgIrL's Avatar
    Thanks

wow.. I ...was going to agry with something but now i dont remember. Butoooh yes..lol Ok .I agry that you cant put the blame up on gens. But Ive seen talk shows on tv where kids from like burth...Have told there parents that they dont want to be the sex that they are. Boy wants to be a girl/ gril wants to be a boy. That made me think that maybe it is from birth that SOMe people are born gay or whatnot. I think like that are really gay from birth its just who they are.
    www.senchi-con.cjb.net
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt./ Be careless in your dress if you must, but keep a tidy soul./ Shut the door. Not that it lets in the cold but that it lets out the coziness. Figer who wrote them i'll give you a cookiey

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

For the most part I feel you chose your destiny. You can be born to have higher chances of something, but it comes down to you. You are not born an alchoholic (barring a heavily drinking mother during pregnancy but 'crackbabies' are a different problem all together)

I do however, believe that as far as homosexuality is concerned, you can be born with it. It's not a disease, but rather a state of mind. I even know a few individuals who were born in the incorrect body. I know this is a very controversial issue, but I know two people who have the mind of a male, however they have a female body. Every thing about their mindset is that of a male, however, their male-ness ends with his mind and his body is that of a female. They don't know eachother but I'm sure they'd feel much better about things if they did. One of these people is in the process of changing their body to fit their mind, stating that every time they looked in the mirror, what they saw (their body) did not seem right at all.

The other has decided to stick with his female body, and live with it.

As controversial as this is, think of it this way, suppose your brain was transplanted into the body of the opposite gender. That is what they are feeling every day. Therefore I believe that while you cannot be born with things such as alcoholism, there are some things that are a part of you from the start.

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loved4once
    Well it is both. If your gay you make that choice. You may find the same sex atractive but you don't have to be gay.
    Someone who is gay, lets say we go with the argument that it is a choice, then nobody is really gay, gay people are all heterosexuals who have decided to date people of their own sex for whatever reason. But if you say that being gay is a choice then can it be fair to say that being straight is a choice as well? And if both of them are choices that go from one extreme to another then where is the medium? There should to be a middle we start from before we make that choice.
    Of course we can just say that no, being straight is not a choice, we're all born straight. But it just seems odd, there should be a medium and if we're all straight first then being straight is the medium, but then having only the choice to be gay would cause an unbalance. There has to be another branch on the other side, and being straight would seem reasonable, which means then that there is a different medium and being gay or straight is a choice. And if the way we're born is the ideal way and either or is a choice then assuming that choosing to be straight is right and choosing to be gay is wrong is just begging the question.

You could also look at it in asking: where does the notion of being gay come from? For someone to make a choice the reason to choose or the actual thing you're choosing has to be presented before you before you can make a decision. If nobody was born gay then where did the notion of becoming gay come from? Is the notion of having the choice to be gay a priori or a posterior? If we're all born straight biologically and being straight entails that we're only sexually attracted to the opposite sex then how did the first few people who turned homosexual perceive of the notion that they could be sexually attracted to someone of the same sex? People's biology usually just doesn't change unless there is a reason behind it. You can't be born a brunette, go to bed one night and wake up with orange hair the next day for no reason. If you're biologically heterosexual then how can you wake up one day wanting to be homosexual when you have no preconceived notion of it. The want, if it's a choice had to have been influenced from somewhere. If your body just started feeling a sexual attraction to someone of the same sex one day with out you ever knowing that it was a possibility and you went with it then yes you choose to be gay, but that still presents the problem of if your born straight then you shouldn't have feelings of sexual attraction to someone of the same gender.

In other words, what I am trying to suggest (Not state to be fact or have any truth value what so ever) is that yes it is possible to choose to be gay, but in turn then being straight would also be a choice and the medium would be that we are a slight mix of each and what sexual orientation we become is what we choose for ourselves for whatever reason. If we're sexually attracted to the opposite sex and it's a much stronger sense, then we choose to be straight and vice versa, or if it's circumstantial and there are certain reasons and what not; even if it's purely influence.

That suggestion of course can only be relevant if the idea that homosexuality is biological is rejected. If Homosexuality could be biological then that is a whole other story.

There is possibility that what I have just said makes no sense what so ever.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Otaku kenenth84 may be famous one day kenenth84 may be famous one day kenenth84's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, I say we are born with it. However, we still have the choice of whether we want to follow it or not. So I say its BOTH ^^
    ex: a guy might born with more female character, but if they have taught to be a male and accept it, it's possible that he create a mind block on being gay. To sum up all, there is no choice when one is born with stuff like cancer, but there is a choice on whether one willing to avoid it in the early process or not. ^^
    Don't you guys agree?
    Last edited by kenenth84; Nov 30, 2005 at 12:01 AM.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

That is the biggest cop out arguement I have ever heard. "I'm not happy with my life, things arent going the way I planned, I have made some mistakes- but it's not my fault I was born predispossed to make these choices." This is just another way for people to shrug off personal responsibility. So you have a drinking problem, go to rehab get with a 12 step, do something other than making excuses for you actions. So what you like boys or girls or frogs or whatever, you make your own choices on who or what to date. Does this rabbit hole go deeper? Can a person be destined to only be happy in a commited relationship with 12 year old blondes, does this person then have to find a new partner every year because "they were born that way". Come on people really, If you need to justify your actions and the only thing you can come up with is " I cant help it, I am geneticly destined to do these things" Then you probably shouldn't be doing them because if you feel the need to make up excuses then you know what you did was wrong. "I'm gay from birth" -WRONG you decided that you would be happier dating other men/women. "I'm fat from my genes" -WRONG your fat cause you eat too much or maybe because you have a medical condition or whatever. You know why you are the way you are, quit lying to yourself and everyone else and just admit that you like what you like because that is what you have chosen. -End Rant. Sorry to anyone who was offended by my tyraid but I just hate it when people refuse to accept responsibility for their choices or actions.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Newbie Red X may be famous one day Red X may be famous one day Red X's Avatar
    Thanks

I say choice. lol That's all I guess. Um. I dunno, my friends dad and mom were both alcholics and yet he hates the taste of beer like he hates hearing those crickets at night. I mean if he was born into an alcoholic family then he himself would be an alcoholic but he chose not to drink. But then again, it's probably his taste that makes him hate beer.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast