Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Choice? Or born with it?

Otaku ShadowRabbit may be famous one day ShadowRabbit may be famous one day ShadowRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Choice? Or born with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    To say that binge drinking once every decade is alcoholism is absurd, first off. Alcoholism, "genetic" or otherwise, is dependence on alcohol. To binge drink once per decade is far from being dependent. God forbid I get drunk at a New Year's party this year, I may be an alcoholic.
    the effect of this form of alcholism
    is that the suffer finds themselves having to drink until they pass out
    and if they drink on regular basis - you get the idea
    also the amount damage done to your body - whilst drinking in style is extremely harmful- ever had alchol poisoning it aint fun.

really this form of alcholic is NOT fun to be around.

hit google and check it out for yourself before you start trying to flame OK.

Those who flee temptation generally leave a forwarding address
    [IMG]curtsies to Pyro_psyco666

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Well i remember hearing about studys(In time magazine , I think??) Arrianna, where they say its a different chemical make-up in the brain that causes ppl to be born(pre-disposed) gay.
    Actually the scientist (Dr. LeVay) who did that study is on record as saying he was misquoted.
    In his own words (1993):
    To many people, finding a difference in brain structure between gay and straight men is equivalent to proving that gay men are “born that way.” Time and again I have been described as someone who “proved that homosexuality is genetic,” or some such thing. I did not. My observations were made only on adults who had been sexually active for a considerable period of time. It is not possible, purely on the basis of my observations, to say whether the structural differences were present at birth, and later influenced the men to become gay or straight, or whether they arose in adult life, perhaps as a result of the men’s sexual behavior.
    Further research was done on the subject at Berkely CA about which a professor Dr. A. Dean Byrd said:
    [Professor] Breedlove concluded that the brain is not a static organ. It changes and adjusts to behavior, and, in the case of his study, specifically to sexual behavior. Thus, when someone engages in a particular act repeatedly, certain neural pathways in the brain are strengthened. Since the brain is a physical organ, when these neural pathways are strengthened, it is reflected in the chemistry of the brain. Someone who repeatedly plays basketball will have a different brain than someone who studies rocket science. Likewise, a homosexual person’s behavior likely causes a different resulting brain structure. Studies such as LeVay’s, even if conclusive, show only what science already knows about the brain.
    So in other words differences in the brain between sexually active adults is result of their activities instead of the activities being a result of the brain.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRabbit
    the effect of this form of alcholism
    is that the suffer finds themselves having to drink until they pass out
    and if they drink on regular basis - you get the idea
    also the amount damage done to your body - whilst drinking in style is extremely harmful- ever had alchol poisoning it aint fun.

really this form of alcholic is NOT fun to be around.

hit google and check it out for yourself before you start trying to flame OK.

Perhaps I wasn't "trying to flame" and was just giving you an accurate definition.
    Definition and Symptoms of Alcoholism

Binge drinking is not the same as alcoholism.
    However, someone who is a binge drinker does have a greater risk of becoming an alcoholic.

Alcoholism is simply defined as a dependence on alcohol. It is a disease that becomes worse over time. Alcoholics experience intense cravings for alcohol. They continue to drink even when they experience alcohol-related problems, such as trouble in school, losing a job, or getting into trouble with the law.
    Funny how it says exactly what I was saying to start the definition. If you want more accurate info about alcoholism, here you go: http://www.intheknowzone.com/binge/alcoholism.htm
    Last edited by Agent Orange 216; Nov 30, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Newbie Lady Syaoran may be famous one day Lady Syaoran may be famous one day Lady Syaoran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Isis
    ew..plz don't remind me of homosexual animals*shudders* eep nasty..my cats were lesbians, and the gross part ws they're half sisters
    yes, that is totally disgusting, plz never ever EVER mention that again...if there were a throws up smily i would put it here right now ut apperantly there is not so im just gunna put this lol well yeah.
    *Sig images removed for rules violations. You are allowed ONE and ONLY ONE image in your sig. Also profanity in the sig is right out.*

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

I say being a homosexual or alcoholic are things that are influenced by your life experiences as well as your own choices, as well as your capacity to support daily stressful events as well as occasional traumatizing moments.

My father is alcoholic, most of his family likes drinking a lot, even my sister drinks, as well as most of my mothers family members, but I don't like to drink and that's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    Perhaps I wasn't "trying to flame" and was just giving you an accurate definition.
    *cough* you are both correct.

ShadowRabbit is speaking of what they have discovered about those with the genetic disposition. When they drink they have difficulty stopping before they pass out even if it's been years. As such they are more likely to become alcoholics.

You are speaking of alcoholism in general, the desiese, not the tendency.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I also need to express the differences in views that some of you have which are skewing responses. There is a difference between some of your definitions. I can tell that some of us when we talk of homosexuality are refering to those who are attracted to members of their own gender. Others infer it to mean those who are actually engaging in sexual activity with members of their own gender.

Being attracted to members of your own gender has not been and will never be a choice, because we don't "choose" to be attracted to someone, we just are.

Having sex with a member of your own gender is a choice, just as having sex with a member of the opposite gender is a choice.

I feel the only crime, or sin if you will....would be for someone who is attracted to members of their own gender to force themselves to have sex with a member of the other gender, in essence lying to themselves.

Newbie blonderedhead may be famous one day blonderedhead may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think it's problematic to even put being gay and being an alcoholic in the same category...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast