Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Choice? Or born with it?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Choice? Or born with it?

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Well i guess its how you look at things then. You can say the thyroids are causeing it, or since the brain is affected and making the actions occur, it the brains fault.

I think its a case by case situation, so yes it can be both ways. Sometimes genetics may be providing a disposition, and sometimes genetics determine what we will be and there is no choice.
    So you want it both ways? Look, unless you are going to claim that alcoholism and other subjects we have discussed are actually mental abnormalities it isn't even the same subject. I know something about the subject since my paternal grandmother stuggled with depression and bi-polar syndrome for most of her life.

Depression does result in an actual change in brain chemistry but that balance will begin to reinstate itself on it's own within 1 to 3 years even without medical assistance. You cannot say that about alcoholism.

With bi-polar (manic depression) like alcoholism there is a possiblity of genetic predisposition but... it does not mean you will suffer from it. Just as you can have a genetic disposition toward alcoholism but not become an alcoholic you can also have a genetic disposition toward bi-polar disorder and never suffer from it. The difference appears to be in the attitude of the people involved. If you have a genetic predisposition to manic depression and are a negitive person (low self esteem etc.) then you are likely to get it. If however you tend to be positive and confident you will not suffer from it or if you do will recover quickly. Now remember, both groups have the genetic predispostition. The difference is what kind of person they chose to be. (Amusingly enough it is thought that many of the best authors of fiction actually have/had the genetic disposition to manic depression yet never succumbed to it.)

It comes down to choice. Simple choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    PS: shouldnt this be in the debates section now, since its turned into one.
    Good question.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie teddeler may be famous one day teddeler may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Amusingly enough it is thought that many of the best authors of fiction actually have/had the genetic disposition to manic depression yet never succumbed to it.
    And some that did. If H. Beam Piper had held on for one more day instead of commiting suicide, we would have had a lot more Fuzzy books to enjoy - his check was literally in the mail. Okay, so it's not on topic but I loved those Fuzzy books when I was younger and would have loved to have more. The Fuzzy books we have are: Little Fuzzy, Fuzzy Sapiens, Fuzzies and Other People - I know they're cutesy titles but they're really good science fiction.
    Who-Otaku, brown belt.

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

Otaku nexus21 may be famous one day nexus21 may be famous one day nexus21's Avatar
    Thanks

what about people with physical disabilities

Newbie teddeler may be famous one day teddeler may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nexus21
    what about people with physical disabilities
    They have harder choices but they still have choices. Also the people who care for and raise them.

I saw a documentary about a woman born with no arms. Her mother refused to treat her as if she were different than any child with arms. The opening scene (before you know what's going on) shows someone washing dishes - all you can see is the sink and it gradually dawns on you that those fingers are awfully short. She uses her feet so naturally for most things that they're as good as hands. Of course, she has to sit on a stool to wash dishes or paint and I can't say I saw her juggling but I can't think of her as handicapped.

Each disability is different but there are good and bad ways to handle each case and, again, it boils down to choice.
    Who-Otaku, brown belt.

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

There are things that we will never truly know about. But when it comes to things like addiction... I feel that all humans have the ability to shape their destiny. Just because your mom was an alcholic doesn't mean you have to be! You have a choice... Make the one that will be best for you!

As for sexuality... I feel it is something that one is born with... Altough I cannot explain the exact cause for it. But does that make it a bad thing? Of course not. That's like saying you are bad because you were born with brown eyes or something. *sigh*

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that the whole "I was born this way" is just a way to tell people that they aren't going to change but without having the courage to tell people that they are the way they are cause they like it that way, cause if they didn't like it they would change it. This arguement is becoming so circular I gettin dizzy.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    I think that the whole "I was born this way" is just a way to tell people that they aren't going to change but without having the courage to tell people that they are the way they are cause they like it that way, cause if they didn't like it they would change it. This arguement is becoming so circular I gettin dizzy.
    You mean an excuse so they don't have to feel like they should? "I was born this way so it's just the way I am."

I've run into that for more than one thing. I had a girl cough all over my food and then tell me she couldn't help it because she had ashma. I couldn't help but think that it didn't keep her from turning her head.

Ok, not the best example, but an excuse nonetheless.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    You mean an excuse so they don't have to feel like they should? "I was born this way so it's just the way I am."

I've run into that for more than one thing. I had a girl cough all over my food and then tell me she couldn't help it because she had ashma. I couldn't help but think that it didn't keep her from turning her head.

Ok, not the best example, but an excuse nonetheless.
    Either way they just don't want to addmit to what the problem/reasoning is, so they use a cop out.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast