Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer hunting

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks

Computer hunting

I've been told to get a coustum made computer but I want to know whats better a coustum or and over preduced computer? and what type of computer would You recomend I need a computer for Internet/music/games/grapichs/and riping I've looked around but I always seem to find something that just mkaes the comp crapy I've started to save but I want the best I can get and just wanted to know what the other Tech geeks here think I should get?
    Tom: Maybe we are a supreme being who was having self identity problems.
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    If you can try, don't get a windows operating system. I only have mine cause i grew up on it and i don't want to learn a new system. There are way more viruses you can pick up with windows than most other systems. If you, like me, wanta use windows, make your living with the flaws of "the company"

That's advice from a Not So Tech-knolage-based noob.

Otaku Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love may be famous one day Phoenix of Love's Avatar
    Thanks
    *Ponits to Linux Question thread*I cant put a nother OS on this computer as its my mothers and I dont trust/like Windows anymore it has to much un-needed crap and I know theres something better out there
    Luis: Find yourself a women who loves video games as much as you do and you'll have have problems.

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    what's an overpreduced comp?

by stating that you want a comp that does internet, msuic, gaming, graphics, and ripping; that doesn't give enough information. when choosing hardware components, specific necessities and desires are valuable information to have in order to find the right hardware. to be honest w/you all of this can be done on a p2 w/a voodoo2 card and 128mb sdram. please provide more info.

for example, you just said gaming. well that could mean you might only be interested in minesweeper and solitare. if possible, list games you intend to play or any games of future reference you might actually consider playing. that could be a difference opting to go for, say, a radeon 9800 rather than radeon x800.

budget is also a key factor in choosing which hardware to get. if you don't mind, you can offer that information as well.

Thanks
    Ok Graphics wise mostly sig art but I do use photoshop for my art projects and I use AutoCAd for my enginering class and I use Cinaema 4D and Cinema 3D I have copys of all thees programs and Cinema is a CGI program (Cinema is sometimes used in the 3d modleing used for games and the FMVs)

Games I'm thinking FFXI EverQuest and a few made by some of my friends all of witch are mem hogs
    Internet well not that hard
    Riping I have about 20 stacks of 20 CDs ppl want me to rip for them i dont because well not my comp I'd like to burn DVDs that play on a DVD player and

I like to collect Info I have a text file thats about 99 Mbs thats the lagers so fare I have them hosted on a free host and its a pain to dl so I put it in a what was it a pdi or pdf I think but I'd like it to be on my comp so I need lost of memory

But on top I really dont want it to lag I like to multi task a lot and that slows this computer down

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would try and have someone else build you a computer with parts that you think would be best with it...that is if you know all about the computer...otherwise try consulting a computer builder...he/she might know what you are looking for

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    given that ffxi and everquest don't support the newer pixel shaders yet, you're safe w/getting at least a radeon 9600 and up or a geforcefx 5700 and up. you can also get lower model cards like the radeon 9200 or geforce4, but you won't be able to fully experience games that use dx9. doing autocad and cinema3d on these cards would be fine, but you may want to find cards that have a good amount of ram on it, at least 128mb if you don't want it things to bog down too much.

if you like to multitask alot, you may be interested in either the p4's w/ht or amd64's. the speed is up to what you feel comfortable w/as well as your budget, but the architecture behind them make multitasking less of a hassle. ram also plays a role, i suggest at least 512mb, and depending on just how much multitasking you do, as well as how much stuff you open up [like 4 200mb .psd files], 1gb of ram isn't too far off.

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you're looking to do all that stuff on your computer, I wouldn't recommend going with anything else than Windows, simply because of the lack of compatibility with alot of the programs you will need to do what you wish. Unfortunately that's how it is for now.

Going custom is a good idea, all those clone companies like Dell, and Gateway are way too overpriced for the amount of work they put into making the computers. You can get parts on your own for a good chunk less.

First off, you'll have to get a list of everythnig you need, usually you can get the list at any computer store you go to. And usually the custom builds that some stores make have a nice specifications paper, which you can use as reference for the parts you will require for the build.

Now the most important part, will be the motherboard, choosing this wisely will help you ALOT in the future if you need to make any upgrades. Make sure the Motherboard can support any peripherals and chips you wish to plug onto it. And make sure it will be ready for future developped hardware, such as bigger memory capability, and AGP 8x ready graphics ports. ASUS makes decent motherboards, you can look around though.

Chipset wise, if you're going to multitask, get a Hyper-Threading Pentium4 Processor. Alot of people complain about their computers, but alot of the time, it's because they don't maintain them correctly, there are alot of people who don't know that all the stuff they do and all the things they download increase the load on the computers ability to perform, and hence deminishing performance, you will have to maintain your computer if you want it to run well for a long time. Your Chipset I would probably reccommend something such as a 3.0-3.2 GHZ Hyper-Threading Pentium4 Processor, for the amount of stuff you plan to do with it.

For your graphics I'll recommend an ATI Radeon SE 9600 or higher, the 9600 delivers great performance for the price. You will not be disapointed with the results of this video card.

Memory wise you will need 512 minimum, upgrade up to 1024 is you wish. Try getting a DDR2 compatible motherboard so you can take advantage of higher processing memory chips.

Power Supply should be a decent quality one, not to compromise any functions on the motherboard, or electricity hazards.

Everything else are little details, DVD-Burners, Ethernet Controllers(Integrated with Motherboard), Sound Cards (SoundBlaster Audigy2ZS is a good buy), Monitor, case, wires, cooling.

We could get into details, but I'm kind of in a hurry right now :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast