Thread: Computer Programming

Newbie fighter_ace may be famous one day fighter_ace may be famous one day fighter_ace's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Computer Programming

Have you ever wanted to do it? Be good at it? I have... but I have no clue where to start! Plus, it is super time consuming. That really sucks when it comes time to do homework! HTML is hard enough to fit in! And one last thing that bugs me... you never know when the popular computer language might change or a whole new system evolve! Remember when it switched from mac to pc? Ouch for all those mac programmers!
    If you run... you will only die tired.

Otaku FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Computer Programming

yeah i actually had a job managing servers for a website or two. but ya know... it's difficult. and i hate mac. i thinks it's really horrible computer system.... i am a windows person ahaha. but sure if i had the chance i'd learn up a bit mroe on computer programming

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought at first that you were going to discuss computer programming in the sense of Windows programming (i.e. C++, Pascal, VB). Yes, internet programming changes often, but not often in big steps. If you want to know the web standards at any time, you should check the World Wide Web Consortium (http://www.w3.org/) which is in charge of updating it.

Currently many internet programmers are tidying their code in order to be conforming to the new big thing : XHTML 1.0. You might not need it yet, but people want it to remplace the current HTML version. Add that with CSS (CSS2 as well, but that's not supported enough) and you got the great mixture.

On a personal note, I do both Windows and Internet programming, although I have been slow on the first one due to my university timetable. Now that I've finished the year, I might look into it again

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks

well just like everything else in the computer world, things change quickly. But it's not a total 180 turn each time they come up with a different language or standard.

Once you learn the basics, you'll find that many languages are very similar.

In school I'm doing mostly Java and C++ and right now at work i'm doing VB/ASP stuff. Take...the move from Visual Studio and it's package and the upgrade to the .Net platform. There were changes. But it wasn't so ginormous that people have to take a whole new course to make the transition. But you DO have to keep up with the changes...or you'll just be left in the dust. Don't be scared off if you just want to program for fun and stuff...start off with some good books with lots of examples and you're set. Start small and you'll see yourself build some pretty big stuff in no time.

For a more long term perspective...if you're not someone who wants to keep learning new stuff then programming is prob not the way for you. You're gonna be constantly reading up stuff, learning new ways of doing the same old thing, researching errors, new tools, etc, etc. I'm not trying to scare any one off cuz this is for a seasoned or more professional programmer (what I see in my dad right now, as i'm only in university studying Comp Sci.) It's not all like that, but if you want to stay ahead of the game and be flexible in what jobs you can land, you'll be learning new stuff left right and center.

Very true, programming can be uber time consuming. Especially when you run into road blocks and in the end...you find that it's something so simple a 5 year old could have solved it. But I rather be working away at a program and in the end come out with a finished product that I can call my own. It's cool to be able to build something you invisioned, and know that it'll probably help someone down the road. And when you need something, you can build it yourself.

Not for everyone, but definitely if you're interested, go to your local book store and look up some books. Read them through a bit first to look for examples and to see if the level of detail is what you're looking for. A book that's too hard will just be a very heavy paperweight.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a computer topic so Im moving to Tech Zone