Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer trouble

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Computer trouble

So, I was playing Counterstrike last night, when all of the sudden, the screen goes black. Apparently, my computer tries to restart, and a blue screen with white letters show up. This screen says something like this: "nv4_dsp is caught in an infinite loop...blah blah blah"

I come up to a screen where it says something like this: "Sorry for the inconveniance...your computer was shut down improperly...if this was a weather problem just start computer as normal." On this screen it gives me the option to start computer in:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Last known good configuration
    Start Windows Normally

Whenever I try to start windows normally, it just screws up again. The screen goes black again, it goes back to blue screen with white letters, and then back to the screen where I can choose how to start windows again.

This is the same crap that happened last time when my old computer broke. No matetr what I did, it would always go back to the same screens. However, this time it actually let me go into Safe Mode. So, I went into safe mode, found the nv4_dsp thing (it was in my Drivers folder). It didn't have anything there that I could do anything about, so I went ahead and I tried reinstalling my graphics driver. After I did this, I ended up restarting when it asked me to, and everything looked fine, except the screen resolution was messed up.

Now, I shut down the computer after I thought everything was fixed, thinking it should start normally then. Wrong. When I tried powering it up again, I got the same blue screen of death, and the same options screen. By the way, before I shut it down, I ran a virus scan with Norton, and it didn't pick up anything. I also tried system restore.

Long story short, I decided to press "Last known good configuration" and it just seems to start up my computer right back when I restarted it after I reinstalled my graphics driver.

I have the recovery cd for my computer, but I'm not sure if I should use it.

So, what the hell is going on, and what do I need to do fix this?

Thanks all.

P.S. After trying out my DivX, it's also telling me I have a DirectX problem.

Also, the file is called nv4_disp. I can find it by going through Local Disk C:>NVIDIA>Win2KXP>78.01 and it has a yellow band holding 3 papers/pages together. When I left-click it, a "Data Execution Prevention" message pop-ups up saying "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program." After that, I get another message saying Windows Explorer has encountered a problem...blah blah blah"
    Last edited by Silverskater145; Sep 11, 2005 at 02:14 PM.

Otaku Suzy may be famous one day Suzy may be famous one day Suzy's Avatar
    In Puerto Rico the stinkiest place on earth.^~^
    Thanks

Re: Computer trouble

Something like that happen to me the screen is not respondin and that was
    5month ago and it's still busted nobody can fix it.
    '' Death, cruelty, murder the things i have hate forever, Life is like a test with a limited time'' And doesnt have any sign''
    I wish i could help you but i make things worst, by liken you

??*Everyone Here Hates Me??* Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa's Avatar
    Thanks

oooh scary the blue screen of death

Newbie Genroo may be famous one day Genroo may be famous one day Genroo's Avatar
    Thanks

A few prelim. questions:

1. Did you reinstall your graphics driver from the CD that came with your video card? Or did you download the latest updates from the nVIDIA website?

2. Do you have a heatsink on your video card? Do you have a fan cooling that heatsink? If either of these are a "No." your video card may be stressed and overheated.

For now I'd say your options are as follows:

A. Re-install video drivers using latest update from the internet.

B. Go into Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and delete the video card. Re-boot your machine and the operating system will detect the video card. (Depending on what the computer wants to do it will either install drivers automatically, or ask you for drivers, at which point you hit "Cancel" and install the latest drivers from the internet.

C. Remove your video card, install a different card temporarily / put your video card into a different computer; see if any errors occur. IF this is the case, it might not be your video card that is at fault after all. (Though given your description of the problem, it's highly unlikely)

F.Y.I. "C:>NVIDIA>Win2KXP>78.01" is a folder the nVIDIA driver installer runs from, these aren't the actual drivers Windows reads from, as they are copied into the Windows sytem folders upon installation.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Genroo
    1. Did you reinstall your graphics driver from the CD that came with your video card? Or did you download the latest updates from the nVIDIA website?
    I installed using the CD, AND had the latest updates from their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Genroo
    B. Go into Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and delete the video card. Re-boot your machine and the operating system will detect the video card. (Depending on what the computer wants to do it will either install drivers automatically, or ask you for drivers, at which point you hit "Cancel" and install the latest drivers from the internet.
    I did this, and my comptuer restarted normally, as it should. However, I tried installing drivers from the internet, but the page gave me some sort of error.

Also, if it's of any importance... Whenever I try to scroll down on a page, it doesn't happen fluently, as it should. Even if I scroll my scroller down just once, you can see a line moving from the top of the screen down, slowly changing what I see. What's causing this, and how should I fix it?

P.S. It's still telling me I have a DirectX problem whenever I try to watch my anime.

Otaku Avatarjuern may be famous one day Avatarjuern may be famous one day Avatarjuern's Avatar
    Thanks

chuck it it's no good............or take it to best buy...

Newbie Genroo may be famous one day Genroo may be famous one day Genroo's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, it sounds like your video card has burnt out. Don't know what else to say.

Newbie FrozenAffairs may be famous one day FrozenAffairs may be famous one day FrozenAffairs's Avatar
    Thanks

if your video card is a gonner just unplug your monitor from the back of your comp and plug it into the other slot (that it fits in) this is onboard video, if that doesnt work then its probably not your video card. if you only have one slot then you where already running on onboard and your screwed, also if it where your onboard video that whent bad then your whole mother board shouldnt be working...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast