Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confusing TV and Videogames With Reality

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

Confusing TV and Videogames With Reality

people do this all the time and eventually end up hurting themselves. they think that if they see it in a Tv show or a videogame, they can do it in real life. even i'm more sensible, and i'm only thirteen! why they do it in the first place is beyond me....can't people see the difference between TV and Reality?!

discuss.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Confusing TV and Videogames With Reality

No.. if people did this all the time then the world would have a lot less idiots in it. Contrary to the "popular" belief that CNN shoves down your throat very few people mimic the things they see in the media. But when someone is stupid enough to light himself on fire or something, it turns into a huge story so that all of America can place the blame on a big bad immoral corporation.

It's really not a big epidemic, people don't train themselves to kill with video games, or learn to shoot a machine gun by watching Rambo a few times. Normal people, the people who DO end up doing this shit were completely retarted in the first place.

Otaku Suzy may be famous one day Suzy may be famous one day Suzy's Avatar
    In Puerto Rico the stinkiest place on earth.^~^
    Thanks

A child thinkin he is spider man from the first video game, jump from a buildin with even a suit of spm, i play a lot vg but im not killin people or trien to do a triple backflip.
    '' Death, cruelty, murder the things i have hate forever, Life is like a test with a limited time'' And doesnt have any sign''
    I wish i could help you but i make things worst, by liken you

Otaku emmy_chan may be famous one day emmy_chan may be famous one day emmy_chan's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont know, ive seen my older brother and his friends reinact things they saw in jackass and wild boyz. riding bikes off the roof, shopping cart races, so on and on forth. so yes i can imagine people doing stupid things. me being the more realistic one seeing how stupid they were acting never did anything to encourage this behavior, yet it was funny how stupid they looked doing these ridiculous stunts.
    Don't let me be.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I won't say everyone but I think we all know someone.

I had several friends who thought they were living in a soap opera, and as a result, they were. Being around them was like riding an emotional rollercoaster. Man was I happy to move on.

I can't count the number of kids I know who have straped on a cape and jumped off their roof. Tried to do bike stunts that the professionals do on tv. Tried to live in some "teen movie" whether it was their prom or sweet 16. And lets not count the number of teens who do their best to look just like their current idol.

Fortunately most people grow out of it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

voluntarily left site Alegos may be famous one day Alegos may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I won't say everyone but I think we all know someone.

I had several friends who thought they were living in a soap opera, and as a result, they were. Being around them was like riding an emotional rollercoaster. Man was I happy to move on.

I can't count the number of kids I know who have straped on a cape and jumped off their roof. Tried to do bike stunts that the professionals do on tv. Tried to live in some "teen movie" whether it was their prom or sweet 16. And lets not count the number of teens who do their best to look just like their current idol.

Fortunately most people grow out of it.
    Hahaha, yes this is true. But honestly you have to wonder about that last sentence... For example "LARPers" (Live Action Role Players, in case you didn't know), people who perform signature moves of their favorite athlete while playing sports, people who repeat quotes from the realm of entertainment (we all know the infamous "I'm Rick James, bitch!"), and adults that purchase vanity labels of their favorite celebrities or jerseys bearing the name and number of their favorite atheletes or teams. Heck, most if not all advertisements are designed to give the illusion that their product some how makes life better, and they'll show the picturesque person in an elated state while using/having the product in the hopes that people will try to replicate that by purchasing the product.

To a degree I think acting out a fantasy is a healthy sign of an active imagination. Beyond that, echoalia and imitation isn't all that wonderful. But at least it's natural, animals learn from each other through observation and imitation. There was an experiment that showed toddlers a video of an adult attacking an inflatable clown weighted at the bottom, then the children were placed in the room with the clown, not surprisingly all the children immediately attacked the clown doll in almost an identical ritual as the adult was depicted. Then two groups of children were shown two different videos, with the same content only one ended with the adult being rewarded with candy and the other showed the adult being punished, turns out there was virtually no difference between the groups the children imitated the adult despite the video's threat of punishment after doing so.
    Last edited by Alegos; Oct 18, 2005 at 07:55 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alegos
    Hahaha, yes this is true. But honestly you have to wonder about that last sentence... For example "LARPers" (Live Action Role Players, in case you didn't know), people who perform signature moves of their favorite athlete while playing sports, people who repeat quotes from the realm of entertainment (we all know the infamous "I'm Rick James, bitch!"), and adults that purchase vanity labels of their favorite celebrities or jerseys bearing the name and number of their favorite atheletes or teams. Heck, most if not all advertisements are designed to give the illusion that their product some how makes life better, and they'll show the picturesque person in an elated state while using/having the product in the hopes that people will try to replicate that by purchasing the product.
    Hmmm.... good point. So are you saying that the same people who imitate tv growing up continue to emmulate "icons" as adults? I will grant that is possible.

Change the line to: Fortunately some people grow out of it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Inkaholic may be famous one day Inkaholic may be famous one day Inkaholic's Avatar
    Thanks

DAMN YOU JACK THOMPSON!

For all you who don't know, Mr. Thompson is an ignorant...person (and I say "person" in the loosest term of the word) who is trying to convince the Supreme Court that video games are the devil and are behind all school-related violence. Fortunately we have webcomics like Ctrl-Alt-Del and Penny Arcade to keep the faith.

"Guns don't kill people; kids who play video games do"
    -Penny Arcade bumper sticker campaign.

Emulation is a natural part of humanity. It's unavoidable and unstoppable, so the way I figure it we should just go with it.

Still, I would hope humanity would possess enough common sense to NOT ride their bikes off their roof or roll down a hill in a shopping cart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast