Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: copyright wallpapers

Newbie GeminiEntity may be famous one day GeminiEntity may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: copyright wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X
    u need to PM one of the senior members to help u there.
    Thanks for the tip, I just did that prior to reading your message.

Newbie dgs_vex may be famous one day dgs_vex may be famous one day
    Thanks

usually when you release something to the pubilc. the end user right agreement covers it. you are free to modify it. as long as you dont take credit for the original artwork.

Newbie djt23 may be famous one day djt23 may be famous one day djt23's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont think because as long as you dont take credit for the original artwork
    i just love anime this one fav Please Teacher

yo i have website *** LINK REMOVED *** Please see Sig Rules

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiEntity
    Can someone then open my topic back up about modifying that Ninja Gaiden wallpaper?
    This thread:
    Can anyone modify wallpapers here?

Was closed by Jade who is an admin here and I seriously doubt it will be reopened. If you want it reopened then PM Jade and ask him very nicely and I am sure he will consider it, though don't be surprise if he says no.

Also, The copyright thing is a very touchy subject. Law is interpretable and you would have to go to court to find out if 12 of your mates think you are guilty of copyright infringement or if you have done enough to constitute innocence.

In general the images are copyrighted by the creators and they hold all rights to the material. Waller's use those copyrighted images by justification that they are modifying it from it's original form and thus it falls under the Fair Use act which is a loose and questionable justification which may or may not hold up in court.

HOWEVER no waller copyrights their walls. In order to copyright something you have to do more that place a copyright symbol on it. In the US you have to file a request with the US copyright office and it cost money. No waller does that, not to mention they wouldn't want to risk going to court to prove that the image has been modified enough to ensure they are not guilty of copyright infringement and can legally copyright their work.

Most companies don't pursue wallers cause it would be more of a hassle to them and the wallers aren't worth it.

Now, In short you cannot be guilty of copyright infringement by stealing a wallpaper and claiming it as your own. BUT that is considered ripping and will get you kicked out of the site you took it from not to mention reported to the site you are using it on. If I were you I would ensure that the wall I was going to use aspects of was modified to an extent it no longer resembles the original and thus constitutes a new work, this do not include simply changing the Background color.

If all else fails, contact the waller you are taking from and show them your modifications and get their approval that the changes are sufficient or that it is ok to use. Again as it was stated earlier what you keep on your pc for your own use is yours and only your business.

I hope that helps.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

What Chief just said and what I wanted to say ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer
    This thread:
    Can anyone modify wallpapers here?

Was closed by Jade who is an admin here and I seriously doubt it will be reopened. If you want it reopened then PM Jade and ask him very nicely and I am sure he will consider it, though don't be surprise if he says no.

Also, The copyright thing is a very touchy subject. Law is interpretable and you would have to go to court to find out if 12 of your mates think you are guilty of copyright infringement or if you have done enough to constitute innocence.

In general the images are copyrighted by the creators and they hold all rights to the material. Waller's use those copyrighted images by justification that they are modifying it from it's original form and thus it falls under the Fair Use act which is a loose and questionable justification which may or may not hold up in court.

HOWEVER no waller copyrights their walls. In order to copyright something you have to do more that place a copyright symbol on it. In the US you have to file a request with the US copyright office and it cost money. No waller does that, not to mention they wouldn't want to risk going to court to prove that the image has been modified enough to ensure they are not guilty of copyright infringement and can legally copyright their work.

Most companies don't pursue wallers cause it would be more of a hassle to them and the wallers aren't worth it.

Now, In short you cannot be guilty of copyright infringement by stealing a wallpaper and claiming it as your own. BUT that is considered ripping and will get you kicked out of the site you took it from not to mention reported to the site you are using it on. If I were you I would ensure that the wall I was going to use aspects of was modified to an extent it no longer resembles the original and thus constitutes a new work, this do not include simply changing the Background color.

If all else fails, contact the waller you are taking from and show them your modifications and get their approval that the changes are sufficient or that it is ok to use. Again as it was stated earlier what you keep on your pc for your own use is yours and only your business.

I hope that helps.
    It wasn't opened by now (I didn't ask though to note), so I doubt it will be. Why is it not surprising though if he say's no? That leads me to believe some things that I feel ill about.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiEntity
    It wasn't opened by now (I didn't ask though to note), so I doubt it will be. Why is it not surprising though if he say's no? That leads me to believe some things that I feel ill about.
    If he felt like it needed to be closed I don't think he will change his mind is all I am saying. Nothing to be ill about, just know that what you asked most wallers/GFX people wouldn't like done to their work so out of respect he closed it. The best course of action if you would like it changed would be to email the original designer and ask him/her to make the changes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer
    If he felt like it needed to be closed I don't think he will change his mind is all I am saying. Nothing to be ill about, just know that what you asked most wallers/GFX people wouldn't like done to their work so out of respect he closed it. The best course of action if you would like it changed would be to email the original designer and ask him/her to make the changes.
    I see, just the reason he gave was about copyright problems which is actually not a problem at all.

Oh well, nothing is perfect. Thanks for the replies man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2