Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cults ~ Need advice?

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Cults ~ Need advice?

My Aunt Kay has been part of a cult called "Morning Land" for 15 years or so now, and it evidently makes her very happy to spend loads of her money going to weekly meetings and contributing to a lost cause. Sure she probably makes friends, and sure they probably boost her morale (she's 60 years old and morbidly obese)...but they are making her worse off in the long run ~ ruining her financially. And my fear is this: What if something extreme happens like what happened in San Diego (which is 20 miles from me) and the HEaven's Gate cult. They all committed suicide when the Hale Bop commet was shooting by the earth thinking they could "hitch a ride to heaven" ~ so they drank punch with arsenic or something in it....We've all heard of cults, they wear white sneakers and robes and probably have a religious leaders, sometimes castrate themselves. Each cult expresses theirself in different ways...I don't know enough about Morning Land but I fear for my Aunt.

Does anyone have any opinions or personal experiences with cults that they can relate?

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cults ~ Need advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tasukuchan
    My Aunt Kay has been part of a cult called "Morning Land" for 15 years or so now, and it evidently makes her very happy to spend loads of her money going to weekly meetings and contributing to a lost cause. Sure she probably makes friends, and sure they probably boost her morale (she's 60 years old and morbidly obese)...but they are making her worse off in the long run ~ ruining her financially. And my fear is this: What if something extreme happens like what happened in San Diego (which is 20 miles from me) and the HEaven's Gate cult. They all committed suicide when the Hale Bop commet was shooting by the earth thinking they could "hitch a ride to heaven" ~ so they drank punch with arsenic or something in it....We've all heard of cults, they wear white sneakers and robes and probably have a religious leaders, sometimes castrate themselves. Each cult expresses theirself in different ways...I don't know enough about Morning Land but I fear for my Aunt.

Does anyone have any opinions or personal experiences with cults that they can relate?
    lol that's what this groupps usually do to people, they ask for money to do good stuff but that is not always true, they take the money for themselves and use it to their own benefit. In my country this is normal, there are many religious groups that do the same thing to its members, they say that if you give them money you'll win heaven automatically.
    Last edited by ketaro; Oct 20, 2005 at 08:14 AM.

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro
    lol that's what this groupps usually do to people, they ask for money to do good stuff but that is not always true, they take the money for themselves and use it to their own benefit. In my country this is normal, there are many religious groups that do the same thing to its members, they say that if you give them money you'll win heaven automatically.

Religious Groups are the only types of people who take your money though

To name a few,

1.) advertising representatives (yes, salesmen)
    2.) Major corporations who find it convenient to skim a little "off the top" by charging extra for added parts to a product (Its been so long since I've taken economics)
    3.) Phillip Morris Tobacco Industry.

Yeah, basically people target religion over anything...but theres tons of other things that take our money out there! I'm just wondering about cults specifically...I don't hear too much about em anymore

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro
    Yeah, it's called Christianity.
    I have no experience with cults what-so-ever, I can say this much though:
    Anyone who joins a cult is giving up themselves to be what the cult demands of them. Not only that, but in time (from the very little knowledge that I have) it seems that they always end up in a situation that they never expected to be in, but at that point, there's no turning back.
    Seems like a bad idea all-around to me. Word.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Thanks

Christianity isn't the only "bad guy" that takes your money out there...Heaven's gate cult didn't that for chrissakes!!!

Here's the friggin link to the cult website (Those loony psycho-killers!)

http://www.heavensgate.com/

I actually got this quote off of the Heaven's Gate site:

The final act of metamorphosis or separation from the human kingdom is the "disconnect" or separation from the human physical container or body in order to be released from the human environment and enter the "next" world or physical environment of the Next Level. This will be done under the supervision of Members of the Next Level in a clinical procedure. We will rendezvous in the "clouds" (a giant mothership) for our briefing and journey to the Kingdom of the Literal Heavens.

Word.
    Last edited by tasukuchan; Oct 20, 2005 at 10:12 AM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope this can help a little:
    Women and Cults: A Lawyer’s Perspective
    Cultic Studies: Information about Cults and Psychological Manipulation
    Cultic Studies Review

My aunt had an experience a few years ago with a cult that formed inside her church organization. By the time everything was finished hitting the fan the ones in charge were excommunicated (and arrested for several illegal activities, the church turned them in) and the younger members are recieving counciling but the damage has been done. She talked to one of the girls about it (who had come to her for advice on what to do) and asked her how someone usually so self assured could get pulled into something like that. She was answered that she just didn't understnd the kind of control they have over you. She said that you do not feel like you have any control over your own life. You don't have the right to make any desicions, they do that for you. Thinking for yourself is simply not an option. You are completely overwelmed by their control. (In this case they used drugs as one of their means of control.)

As for what you can do for your aunt? Depending on your age I would suggest consulting a lawyer but chances are all you can do is be there for her should she ever come to her senses. She'll need all the support she can get.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna

As for what you can do for your aunt? Depending on your age I would suggest consulting a lawyer but chances are all you can do is be there for her should she ever come to her senses. She'll need all the support she can get.
    Thanks for the links, they do help!!! I don't really talk to my aunt much, my grandma is more in touch with her, but it worries me to see any family member of mine go down hill. Whenever I see my grandma, I mention her ~ or my drug addict uncle (who is currently on the lam).

But I don't think that this cult is doing any illegal activity (that I've heard of) and they don't appear to have an official site like Heaven's Gate does.

Here's some things I found online relating to them

Morning Land Online Advertisment

Morning Land Scriptural Incantations (PDF)

...and I'm sorry about what happened to your aunt! That stuff happens rarely but when it does, it's really unfortunate. That makes me really upset just hearing your story, if it's any consolation.
    Last edited by tasukuchan; Oct 22, 2005 at 08:17 PM.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tasukuchan
    Christianity isn't the only "bad guy" that takes your money out there...Heaven's gate cult didn't that for chrissakes!!!

Here's the friggin link to the cult website (Those loony psycho-killers!)

http://www.heavensgate.com/

I actually got this quote off of the Heaven's Gate site:

The final act of metamorphosis or separation from the human kingdom is the "disconnect" or separation from the human physical container or body in order to be released from the human environment and enter the "next" world or physical environment of the Next Level. This will be done under the supervision of Members of the Next Level in a clinical procedure. We will rendezvous in the "clouds" (a giant mothership) for our briefing and journey to the Kingdom of the Literal Heavens.

Word.
    That site rules! Red Alert header AND a kickass logo.
    What more could any looney want?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast