Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Cults ~ Need advice?

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cults ~ Need advice?

In other words:
    just... talk to them.

Just don't make them. Suggest doubt.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

You forgot to give the definition of religion:

re·li·gion
    n.

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

So if you compare the two definitions you will notice only two things that a cult has that religion doesn't; it's faddish and it's false. There are other words thrown around like unconventional but who decides what that is? In fact who decides what is false? We do. That is why every religion has been called a cult at some time or another by someone else.

The real difference? Does the religion "do harm". This is not simply requiring a set standard or tith but do you have to to "pay your way in", are people being physically abused as a standard, are they allowed to decide for themselves or does the leaders hold complete mental and emotional control.

Just about anything can be considered a cult. The real question is whether there is a victim.

PS. (Don't forget to keep in mind that cults can rise out of existing religions, hiden or otherwise, essentially seperate but preying upon them, and do.)

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Hai, hai. *nod*

That is of course, if you believe in a religion.
    If you don't, you would also consider a religion faddish and false.

(Sorry, I was referring it in a way that I wouldn't offend anyone that didn't believe in religions... )

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

I just think we all need to maintain cosmic equilibrium and make it to the next celestial order ~ XD

(I told my friend about Heaven's Gate, and "he worries about me", evidently he didn't hear about the mass suicide in 95 or whenever it was).

Cults are definitely a problem, but I'm finding it humorous satirizing the matter ^^;;
    Bright&Shiny™ was originally a cult from the movie Bubble Boy. However, it is said that Bubble Boy was satirizing the actual cult of Brianism

In Bubble Boy, the Bright&Shinists™ followed such mantras as:

1.) Self castration
    2.) Chanting
    3.) Believing that the world was going to end; hence the "New Heaven" would be located on 2 seperate planets assigned to gender (although, what about the castration issue?)
    It was pretty funny to watch! Fabio was the cult leader, and they were all traveling in a giant hippie bus, singing "Bright and Shiny!"

I loved that movie (Bubble Boy) to death ~ in fact...I can't believe that it didn't gain more popularity. It was sooo funny, had a lot of good points in it actually lol. Maybe it was too offensive.
    Last edited by tasukuchan; Oct 22, 2005 at 01:04 AM.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Cults... *sigh* I want to start my own cult. Make up my own spiritual group. We will worship the great alpacha god DumbFace, and we shall be merry. Call now and join for only $10,000! J/K

In all seriousness, I saw a story about a woman who escaped a cult in some midwestern state in the US... back in the 80's, I believe. She said the "leader" of this cult would mutilate Bible verses to make him seem as though he were "God-like". He also would rape and torture all the young girls, and made them have his children and such. He actually killed someone who tried to escape... He had this whole group of people brainwashed big time. This woman escaped after being raped her whole life by this sick bastard. She made it to safety, and no one was able to find the guy and his little cult. I am not sure, but I think that police caught him... I'll have to look it up.

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spike'sRose
    In all seriousness, I saw a story about a woman who escaped a cult in some midwestern state in the US... back in the 80's, I believe. She said the "leader" of this cult would mutilate Bible verses to make him seem as though he were "God-like". He also would rape and torture all the young girls, and made them have his children and such. He actually killed someone who tried to escape... He had this whole group of people brainwashed big time. This woman escaped after being raped her whole life by this sick bastard. She made it to safety, and no one was able to find the guy and his little cult. I am not sure, but I think that police caught him... I'll have to look it up.
    Charles Manson, anybody? XD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4