Thread: Cyberpunk Classics

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

Cyberpunk Classics

I know I know, you heard it all before, but I'd like to discuss it. For about a month, I've been watching Akira 1-2 times a day. I can't explain why, besides my complete appreciation for the work of art. It reminded me a lot of the song called "The Wizard" by Black Sabbath. The power and everything to turn tears into joy, but everybody misunderstood that ability... so I guess it killed a bunch of people because of that reason.

Well, now I am obsessed with the cyberpunk genre and was looking for some more. I believe Serial Expirement Lain is one of them, which I will look into. But please, post your favorites and discuss if you will.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Cyberpunk Classics

I personally liked the first Ghost in the Shell movie. The new Appleseed isn't too bad either.

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh yah, I've heard a lot about Ghost in the Shell. What is that like?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

There are two major variations of the Cyberpunk genre in anime. There is straight Cyberpunk (which is much more cerebral in nature and concept), and there is action Cyberpunk, which is more action oriented.

Action Cyberpunk (which there is more of) are of the following series...
    Megazone 23 (OVA)
    Akira (Movie, most expensive production of the Golden Age)
    Bubblegum Crisis/Bubblegum Crash (OVA series)
    A.D. Police Files (OVA, Bubblegum Crisis Spinoff)
    Bubblegum Crisis: Megatokyo 2040 (TV series, late 90s remake of the Bubblegum Crisis)
    A.D. Police (TV, Prequel to Megatokyo 2040)
    Parasite Dolls (OVA, spinoff of A.D. Police)
    Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
    Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (Movie, sequel to the original Ghost in the Shell)
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC (TV series)

Straight Cyberpunk series
    Key the Metal Idol (OVA series)
    Serial Experiment Lain (TV Series)

And then there are series that are close to Cyberpunk in style, but not quite true Cyberpunk, such as.
    Appleseed (OVA)
    Dominion Tank Police
    New Dominion Tank Police
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Appleseed (movie)

Of all the Cyberpunk series that I've seen, my personal favorite would by 'Key the Metal Idol'. Besides having a hard-core Cyberpunk story (where everything your led to believe turns out to be wrong...), the series also makes a very strong statement on the Japanese 'Idol Singer' phenomena... Serial Experiment Lain is also recommended, though I thought the story and characters aren't as strong as 'Key'

For action cyberpunk, the Ghost in the Shell movies are both a must see, and Bubblegum Crisis (both the original, and the remakes) are very very good.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Wow, everything i need to know in one post. Len is definitely the master. I read up on Metal Idol and I found myself interested. A little like pinnochio but definitely has originality.

??*Everyone Here Hates Me??* Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa's Avatar
    Thanks

I love Lain and Ghost in the Shell