Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dance Dance Revolution in school o_O?

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Dance Dance Revolution in school o_O?

W.Va. Schools Get Game to Fight Obesity
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:26 AM EST
    The Associated Press
    By ALLISON BARKER

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia, which has one of the nation's worst obesity problems, is expanding a project that uses a video game to boost students' physical activity.

All of the state's 157 middle schools are expecting to get the video game "Dance Dance Revolution," and officials hope to put it in all 753 public schools within three years. A pilot project began in 20 schools last spring.

Students 10 to 14 years old are being targeted first because it is a key point in children's development, said Linda Carson, a professor at West Virginia University's School of Physical Education in Morgantown.

Those are the ages "when children really begin making more of their own decisions and a time when they could easily choose to be more sedentary," said Carson, who is conducting an ongoing research project into the video game's health benefits.

Game players move their feet on a special mat to correspond to arrows that scroll on the TV screen. The player must tap the same symbols on the mat at just the right time to do well.

The game is not meant to replace physical education and health classes. Rather, it is one more option that may appeal to students who often dislike other sports.

"If we can get children to change their behavior at a young age they hopefully will grow up to be healthy, active adults, which would have a positive effect on health care costs," said Carl Callison with Mountain State Blue Cross.

West Virginia is consistently among the top three states for obesity, with about a third of its residents considered obese and even more overweight, according to the state Bureau of Public Health.

Nearly 46 percent of 31,000 fifth-graders screened in a coronary artery risk project from 1999-2005 were considered overweight or obese, according to the Institute of Medicine guidelines.

Extra weight can lead to high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, some cancers and other problems. West Virginia leads the nation in high blood pressure and is fourth in diabetes.

"One out of three children born in West Virginia today will have diabetes by the time they grow up," said Nidia Henderson, health promotions manager for the public employees insurance program. "That's a devastating statistic and not acceptable."

The state also has turned to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for help.

The school project starts with the state's 64,880 middle school students and then calls for an expansion into high schools. By year three, state officials hope to have the project set up in the state's elementary schools.

Overall, the game is expected to be available to 279,788 public school students statewide.

The statewide project is expected to cost $500,000, with part of the funding coming from PEIA and Mountain State Blue Cross Blue Shield. Game manufacturer Konami Digital Entertainment in Redwood City, Calif., has agreed to provide $75,000. The state is seeking private funding for the remainder.

Each school is to receive a game console, at least two dance pads and software at a cost of about $740.
    This is kinda weird if you ask me, but i do think that alot of people wil get in to the game and lose alot of weight, go WVA!! "to bad i am out of school and live in VA haha"
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Newbie celestialcharm may be famous one day celestialcharm may be famous one day celestialcharm's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dance Dance Revolution in school o_O?

That's so... COOL! My brother lost some weight from playing too much DDR. My sister threatned to take away the game so she could lose some too!

I think having it in schools are a great idea. It is a fun way to exercise. If only they would make this compulsory in my school... But, would they have the full arcade machine, or the home style version?

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

i wish that'd happen in my school. my gym class is boring as hell. plus, there a lot of 'obiese' people in my school.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Otaku Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine's Avatar
    Thanks

omg, it's so cool! Dunno if it'll bring a bad influence or a good influence on the students.. but it's true that you're having a fun time, but during having fun.. you're also training your body..

|| I forgot that I might see so many beautiful things - Dreamvisions ||

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Y isnt it at my school? - i mean, alot of people around here need the excersise

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

heheheh this idea sounds kool, but then again many teenagers will become adict to the game.

Otaku Fluffy-Chan may be famous one day Fluffy-Chan may be famous one day Fluffy-Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

DDR in gym class that be so much fun !!!!

Anti syndicate spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel may be famous one day spike spiegel's Avatar
    Thanks

I got kinda rusty at that game.... haven't played it in a while, but yeah that would
    be great if DDR was in our school.

"I let all that kind of blood away" Thanks Viper

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast