Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Dead Modem?

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

A Dead Modem?

Ok, I'm in a bit of a bind. Our computer's DSL modem kicked the bucket today, and my father, who owns the computer, has leveled the "Shotgun of Blame" squarely at my head. He believes that the fact that I download music and files occasionally is what caused the modem to freak out and stop working. I'm now facing almost 200 dollars in replacement costs, and the fury of my old man. I am fairly certain that this idea of his is not true, and after asking around, I had my suspicions confirmed. However, I will need proof, a document or report of some sort to get my father - a battle-hardened proffesor- to admit defeat.

My friends of AO, I'm asking a huge favor here. I need undeniable proof that supports my position, and I'm going to need your help.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A Dead Modem?

you told me the modem was about 4 years old. any pease of electonic equitment will give up the ghost if 1 its running hours on end and 2 its been dropped or had things spilt on it 3 OLD AGE!

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh, I blame Eriadd. Informataion passing through a modem couldn't ever harm the modem itself, only the computer the files find themselves on. But old age and god only knows what you put that poor thing through could reak havoc on it.
    Last edited by Zarriff; Aug 05, 2005 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo

Otaku Hokuro may be famous one day Hokuro may be famous one day Hokuro's Avatar
    Thanks

Well downloading music or AMV's is not goin to disrupt your computer, it only slows it down. If what you mean by "kicked the bucket" you mean an absolute modem failure am I right? Give me more detail about what happened when you were on so I can document & investigate this.^_^
    AO SEX LEGEND ...turn the page...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuro
    Well downloading music or AMV's is not goin to disrupt your computer, it only slows it down. If what you mean by "kicked the bucket" you mean an absolute modem failure am I right? Give me more detail about what happened when you were on so I can document & investigate this.^_^
    It just stopped working. My internet times out when trying to connect to anything. I haven't been home all day, but when I stopped by, my dad said our modem was fried, and I'm to blame.

Otaku Hokuro may be famous one day Hokuro may be famous one day Hokuro's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm........or maybe he's to blame.....but let's not get into that.

You should try to delete as much stuff possible, if overloaded with folders & active streams, it would work so slow & as a result it fries or refuses to turn on. You should call a local technician. Heh, maybe a virus?^_^
    AO SEX LEGEND ...turn the page...

Thanks

I dunno, honestly, that's why I'm asking for help. Maybe one of the mods or admins knows a little something that could pull my butt out of the fire?

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuro
    Hmmm........or maybe he's to blame.....but let's not get into that.

You should try to delete as much stuff possible, if overloaded with folders & active streams, it would work so slow & as a result it fries or refuses to turn on. You should call a local technician. Heh, maybe a virus?^_^
    Nah, a virus can't mess with the electronics of a modem. I make viruses for the hell of it, I would know. I never use any of them though. My guess is it would have to be the age of the electronics or a power surge.

Ask Len, if anyone, he would know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast