Thread: Definitions and Genres

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitions and Genres

Greetings, I wasn't quite sure where to post this question, and I hope it's ok to post it here.

I am making a website on imagination and everything that allows it, and some sections of my website (still haven't decided on which should be with which) will be about Anime, Manga, Comics, Cartoons. I need ideas of definitions of those four words so as to be able to differenciate clearly each one of them. Can anybody help me on that matter?

Also, in order to avoid having a Cinema & TV section, and a Litterature section, for the simple reason that not all things part of it are imaginative or creative, I decided to make Genre sections (ie sci-fi) and currently have Science-Fiction, Fantasy as sections. Any ideas, genres I forgot?

I'd really appreciate any help.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    Greetings, I wasn't quite sure where to post this question, and I hope it's ok to post it here.

I am making a website on imagination and everything that allows it, and some sections of my website (still haven't decided on which should be with which) will be about Anime, Manga, Comics, Cartoons. I need ideas of definitions of those four words so as to be able to differenciate clearly each one of them. Can anybody help me on that matter?

Also, in order to avoid having a Cinema & TV section, and a Litterature section, for the simple reason that not all things part of it are imaginative or creative, I decided to make Genre sections (ie sci-fi) and currently have Science-Fiction, Fantasy as sections. Any ideas, genres I forgot?

I'd really appreciate any help.
    Maybe someone at the web development forum knows...

Define anime as Japanese cartoons and cartoons as cartoons from other countries, this usually helps the regular novice.

We have a what is anime thread that could help out too.

Do the same thing for the comics/manga

As for the different genres, there are many: try
    http://www.filmsite.org/genres.html
    Last edited by Hassun; Jun 11, 2005 at 09:44 AM.

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Since this wasn't exactly about anything related to web development (apart from the fact I'm making a website, but I could have been looking for the same thing without making the website) I wasn't sure whether to post it there.

Yes, I'm checking that thread now, thanks.

I think I'm going to be playing around with internet dictionaries, but I'd appreciate any personal help on the matter.

The problem is, would I put per example korean comics as comics? Would it be "fair" to have a Comics section and a Manga section, giving the same importance to mangas as to all other comics of the world put together?

And thanks for the link, it was interesting. I know there are many other genres, but I wanted genres that clearly give creativity, like science-fiction, while action-packed movies aren't really imaginative.

I'm just trying to get clear sections, and not too much of them. Because it's a huge project, and it's already going to be a pain in the ass to make the first rough, so making a mistake in planning would mean...restart almost everything.

Thanks for the help.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Well, korean comics are called manhwa right? You could make a sub sections for particular popular kinds of comics.
    Also check Wikipedia for comics, it could be helpful:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book

Otaku Libitina may be famous one day Libitina may be famous one day Libitina's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Definitions and Genres

While manga and manhwa are extremely alike at first glance, they do come from different countries with different cultures. And they are media, not genres, so there is vast variation between this manga and that manga, this manhwa and that manhwa. I'll admit I'm a newcomer to manhwa myself, and the move towards manhwa has been a long time coming. While manga has been dominating both sales at the bookstores and topics of discussion, Korea's manhwa are also being embraced by mangaphiles. It's not a difficult leap to make, as manhwa are quite similar in style and often share the same popular genres of manga
    http://www.sequentialtart.com/art_0605_4.shtml

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Definitions and Genres

Grumble Grumble Grumble

to quote the Forum Rules...
    -Do not post on threads that have been inactive for longer than two weeks.
    Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku