Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did you like the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Did you like the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

This ending was really weird i couldn't understand it.

Otaku kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Best ending ever

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro
    This ending was really weird i couldn't understand it.
    WWWwwwOOOoo KID sorry that my favorite anime well if you dont understand it, its simple they just use the EVAN to stop the 3th-impact that's all and Unit-1 is the key to stop it, but did you like the cenematic affect at the ending because i think that one awsome

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    GAAA, i could swear that there was a topic exactly like this once upon atime ago....
    But nways.. no i didn't like the ending... kinda weird.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Newbie Darlos may be famous one day Darlos may be famous one day Darlos's Avatar
    Thanks
    You have asked a question about the most confusing part of Evangelion. As such, I can't help but write an essay about it.

First of all... what IS the ending of Eva? Let's see what we have here. First, there's episodes 25 and 26, and then there's Death and Rebirth/End of Eva (which from this point forewards I'll refer to as End of Eva). Some say that the final two episodes and End of Eva are happening at the same time, while others say that they are alternate tellings of the ending. First, lets look at the last two episodes.

The last two episodes of Eva tend to leave a lot of people with a "Dude, WTF?" feeling. Why? Because they do nothing but go inside the minds of characters without resolving physical and plotwise issues (like what Seele is up to, the results of Third Impact, etc). Unresolved plot issues aside, in episode 26, we get a huge Shinji focus as he sorts through a bunch of psychological and philosophical issues, supposedly while the world is in the process of Third Impact (you don't see it, but Misato says that's what's happening, so...). In the end, he seems to come out as a better, stronger person who is in more control of himself and the events around him... at least, he seems like he could be. Unfortunatly, the series ends right there with his psychological recovery and doesn't show us what the hell is going on in the real world. While certainly a positive conclusion (REALLY positive. Just read the last words that come up on the screen, about "all you children out there"), this left a lot of people hanging without a solid conclusion.

Now, End of Eva. There's some initial thing you have to realize when considering End of Eva: Hideako Anno, the creator of Evangelion, only made that movie after hoards of fans clambored after him to give the series a real ending. Unfortunatly, this must have pissed him off, as the resulting movie he created had a much darker and more negative tone than the series ever did at any point before. The movie did it's job, though. People got their solid ending. It shows the entirety of 3rd Impact, as well as Shinji's timultuous role in it, and even offered up quite a bit of flash and eye candy, such as Asuka fighting like crazy and the entirety of earth turning into a bunch of crosses while being watched over by a giant... angel-Rei, or something. The dark side of this came, though, in the insane amount of death and inane stuff happening through the entire movie. Worst of all though, in my opinion, is this strange corruption of Shinji. Throughout the whole of the series, Shinji seems to slowly but surely change from this indecisive guy into a suprisingly firm main character (just watch episode 19. He can get his shit together and kick some ass when he wants to). Though often questioning himself and others, he seemed to me like he could usually pull through when need be. But, this isn't so in the movie. Sure, he's kinda beat up about killing Kowaru... but does that really warrant that utterly gross and disturbing first scene in the movie? And does it warrant him stumbling around like a wistliss idiot and trying to choke Asuka (Asuka? She's bandaged like Rei and has Misato's eye color... Rasukasato?) in the end? Well, I guess that depends on how much you thought Shinji sucked initially. I, for one, always thought he was respectable from when I first started watching the show... but that's just one man's opinion.

So, are these two "endings" separate or one singular entity? If they are supposed to be one singular entity, then the mental processes given in the last two episodes should correlate with the physical happenings in the movie. Unfortunatly, they don't. I can't imagine the happy, smiling, "I can live life to the fullest!" Shinji from the end of episode 26 choking Asuka with a ****ed-up look on his face at the end of the movie. Just due to that, I'd say they're to be considered two different endings to the same story. Normally that'd be just my speculation, but in the 7th Eva Platinum Edition DVD case is a book containing a passage (that my room mate just now pointed out to me as I wrote this) actually says that they are, indeed, two different endings:

Up to this point, Neon Genesis Evangelion has depicted themes surrounding "the human heart" and "communication between people" through the stories of the main character. However, the climactic episodes, Episode Twenty-Five "The World Ending" and the Final Episode "The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World," revers the relationship between the story and the theme. What would normally be considered the story is kept to the bare minimum and "the theme itself" is told. The material is theoretical and experimental, and without a doubt, something never seen before in TV animation. When it originally aired, it became an incredibly hot topic and divided the fans in their opinion.

The conclusion to the drama and illuminating the mysteries. In response to the fans clamoring for those two things, it was decided that there would be a remake of Episode Twenty-Five and the Final Episode. The result of that are Episode 25 "Air" and Episode 26 "A Pure Heart For You," which were released as the theatrical "The End of Evangelion."

Thus, the story of Eva would branch into two stories with the diverging point being the end of Episode Twenty-Four "The Final Messenger." The two stories each unfold differently and arrive at their own climaxes. Episode Twenty-Five and the Final Episode tell the theme directly. And the other version, Episode 25 and Episode 26, depict the same, following the story. It is not that one is the complete version and the other is incomplete. Just like the multiple endings of a game, two different endings were prepared for one story.

And there you have it. Straight from the source. Unfortunatly, this poses a problem. You have two choices in endings: A bright hope for the world, but no plot resolution. Or, a plot resolution, but the future is bleak and hopeless. So, if you're looking for a plot resolution AND that warm fuzzy feeling all in one, you're sunk.

Though, a friend once said you could solve that by watching the first half of the movie (the afformentioned Episode 25 of the movie), and then follow that up with the last two episodes of the series. Funny, but it'd work, I think.

Once again, I have made an uber-long post that I'm sure nobody will read just because it's uber-long. Sigh...
    Hurting feelings everywhere!

Otaku kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885 may be famous one day kenshi2885's Avatar
    Thanks

Question

DUDE THAT'S ALOT OF INFO WHERE DDDIID YYYYOOOUU GET THIS
    Last edited by kenshi2885; Apr 24, 2005 at 11:14 PM.

Newbie HyuugaNeji may be famous one day HyuugaNeji may be famous one day HyuugaNeji's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah man, omg watching those last few eps was a like a chore for me. it was a great series and all but those last couple was like holy damn when is this shit gonna end??

Otaku dark_glaive may be famous one day dark_glaive may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I'm sad to see that people feel that way about the show's ending. It was trying to do something innovative and different. Others around the board disagree, but I really think Eva was trying to say something worthwhile and that it did succeed at saying it.

And whatever Darlos said is probably right. He and I have discussed Eva enough where we SHOULD be saying the same thing at this point.
    Last edited by dark_glaive; Apr 25, 2005 at 10:45 PM.
    Dont make your sig that big again or I'll de-brain you---administration

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Qu├ębec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks
    I was going to post my mind for this tread, But Darlos have got ahead of me.

Damn you.....
    Coming soon.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast