Thread: Dire Need!! [ext. USB]

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Exclamation Dire Need!! [ext. USB]

I have a Maxtor 6 Y080l0 USB device. It is an 80 gig. EXTERNAL Hard Drive.

Let me start from the beginning. My little bro totally screwed over our system and totally killed all our system information in "my documents" thus, destroying preatty much all our icons and junk. Our comp still worked, and there was still most of our information on it. My dad wanted to reload the OS and totally reformat the pc, so he needed to put some files on my USB device. Once he got our computer working normally again, I proceeded to dump the files in the internal drive of our computer.

The Problem: Once I finished, I found a folder that wasn't ever there before. Its called "system volume information" it has two subfolders with nothing in it, and inside the deepest one is all this wierd junk. (i think its all the crap that was dumped into my hard drive.) I found that anything I deleted or moved from my external hard drive, parts of it ended up there. I can delete most of it, but I can't delete a file called "change.log" I acctually deleted this succesfully once, but everytime I reconnect my external hard drive it appears again.

How in the heck do I get rid of this folder for good??? (or how do I make it dissapear?)

Finally, What the heck does it actually do?? -Plz help me!!!!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

It sounds like the (default) Trash Bin setting is queuing up deleted files, waiting for the Trash bin to be empted. You need to change the Trash Bin properties to seperate settings for different drives (which is NOT the default), and set your external drive to NOT store deleted files. Once you've done this, you can then delete that stubborn folder from a DOS command prompt window. (You can't remove it from file manager...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Since soon, I figured out what it was and how to hide it.

I figured it out on my own. *yay for me* but thanks anyway, Len.
    Last edited by youth_anime_fan; Feb 06, 2005 at 07:12 PM.