Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Disiplinary Actions

Otaku ryke12 may be famous one day ryke12 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I would like to point out that this thread is somewhat age-based. Obviously, the ones getting beat currently say, "Oh, that's baaaad". The ones older say, "That was a good experience, because I learned from it".
    I used to get beat, but now I just get stuff thrown at me .
    Maybe I'll come up eith a sig soon... until then, be patient.

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe spanking should stop atthe age of 12 or 13. If that child doesnt understand right from wrong at that age....Something's wrong.
    Seduced by Flesh

Newbie jkun17 may be famous one day jkun17 may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I grew up in a heavily disciplined home.

I was beaten for not finishing food at the dinner table among other things. In terms of the theory of Classical Conditioning I associated my father with beatings and punishment and have, ever since, found it very difficult to talk to him about anything. Things have changed drastically form when I was a child and my father is a much different person than he was then, but I still cannot disassociate beatings from him. Don't get me wrong, I love my father and I know he loves me, but it pains me knowing that I may never be able to think of him as just my father.

The greatest difficulty with disciplinary action is what degree of discipline for what degree of wrong doing.

The most important factor is to discipline while the child is in the act of doing wrong. Raising the voice and yelling is sufficient, but beating is flat out wrong. Not only do you physically harm another living being but your child may associate you with pain and sadness, as I did my father, and may become distant, complicating the parent-child relationship.

If you do discipline while in the act of doing wrong the child associates the pain with their action and will not do it again. If you discipline after a confession, the child will associate the truth with punishment and will more likely lie to avoid punishment. Confessions, instead, should recieve a lecturing or a "heart-to-heart" -- NO YELLING.

Yell to stop a child in the act of doing wrong, if yelling doesn't work, hit. If hitting doesn't work then physically pull the child aside and give a stern talk.

In terms of punishment, taking away a liberty is more effective than physical punishment. Take away a toy, take away the TV, take away the Video Games; but do not under any circumstances beat your child.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3