View Poll Results: Do you belive in god?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

29 65.91%
  • No.

11 25.00%
  • Who or what is god O_o ?

4 9.09%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you belive in god?

Newbie JadeNightmare may be famous one day JadeNightmare may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Do you belive in god?

i do believe that there is a god but everyone has their own version or personal god if you please, there has to be something up there because i highly doubt that life on this planet sort of just appeared
    .x.wake up now its over tell me its ok to die.x.
    450x110 is the signature limit sorry - Jaderabbit~

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNightmare
    i do believe that there is a god but everyone has their own version or personal god if you please, there has to be something up there because i highly doubt that life on this planet sort of just appeared
    Yes that is true, to think that the planet we live in was made in dark space and nothing else. Even now there are still some incidents that make me believe that there is a higher power that is watching us.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tivles of Light
    With the god scenerio, that brings up an interesting question of a God's priorities.
    lets say a god does exist, and this god does have the power to construct, obliterate or control a hurricane...well does that mean that NO was just low on God's priority list, or god just simply did not want to intervene to see what would happen, or that god felt like nature should just run its course? im not in disagreement with you, but these are questions that have haunted man for years...if god is truly a good god. (personally a god as to be evil as well because without evil there cannot be good and if god destroyes evil, thus good is destroyed)
    I think you assume that Good and Evil apply to “god”, I tend to think that a “god” that powerful and infinite doesn’t have to have anything exist or have it apply to them, Good or Bad, time, emotions, etc…. One could say that “god” created all these just for man much like limiters or rather rules within “free will.” If you take this as game of “free will” (for a lack of a better terminology) to “god” then as rules in a game rather than actual views of a god, he can allow man the concept of “free will”. Will men pick me or no, destroy the world and themselves or live in harmony. Thus he doesn’t have to interfere but rather just observe like a fan. Nature is but another part of the game as gives more opportunity for reaction of man to “free will.” I hope that make some kind of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivles of Light
    Oh, sorry haha. i must have misread your post for the last bit, i think i read it too literally...or not litterally enough.

and...this may be a bit off topic, but because of the fact that a majority of adults consider more consequences than children do when they make a decision, doesn't that mean that a child had more free will because the adult will not allow himself to disregard external and internal consequences?
    I think grown ups are more knowledgeable because of previous experiences and a fully developed brain but are more constrained to social opinion given thier increased knowledge of it. Thus a lack of knowledge about the rules does not give one more free will but rather a disadvantage of the workings of free will.

Newbie Immortal may be famous one day Immortal may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think it's interesting that people seem to assume that a god functions and would think in the same terms as a human. As has been mentioned, emotions and social considerations all constrain and influence our thinking.

There is no reason or requirement for an omnipotent being to have emotions like us, think like us or even care about us. When you can see everything that has occured and will ever occur in the existence of everything, (as must be the case for an omnipotent being) the evolution of the solar system, and intelligent life on one little rock in a universe likely filled with intelligent life is insignificant. He already knows it all.

'Life' itself (his own existence) would have little meaning, as he would already know the result of any actions he might take. Merely thinking about doing something and it's consequences would reveal it's results. You effectively get to see the results of the experiment without ever having actually conducted it. Also is it still free will if another being already knows every decision we WILL make (not might make)?

Personally I think there's less problems if one doesn't consider God to be omnipotent. Powerful yes, but not all knowing.

Whilst Christianity does seem to specify that God has a pre-occupation with us, by way of a covenant made between believers and God, what about other religions? Is it a common feature that we assume we are remarkably different from everything else, that an omnipotent being whose point of view is impossible to fully realise from a human perspective would have an interest in us? Is it just wishful thinking?

After all it definitely does seem that a God that is constantly invoked in a personified form, with all the requisite traits and (seemingly) no consideration given to the consequences of actually being omnipotent is a wholly human creation.

Newbie SamIam may be famous one day SamIam may be famous one day
    Thanks

I think it's interesting that people seem to assume that a god functions and would think in the same terms as a human. As has been mentioned, emotions and social considerations all constrain and influence our thinking.

<Well, it is one of many views i am sure ... I my case, for lack of a more concrete discriptor ... it is implied that humans are made in the image of the Judeo-Christian god? Thus, it is reasonable that one can assume for lack of additional knowledge that there is some resemblance to this being ... as humans appear to have a "spark of the divine" ... and of course there is the imagery of this diety being somehat parent like in sense of creating "offspring" ... thus one can argue that if we are similar (in a rudimentary and crude sense) ... that at the very least, we humans can perhaps echo basic (if simplistic) thought processes in the same way that young children embody the intellectual potential of the parents.>

There is no reason or requirement for an omnipotent being to have emotions like us, think like us or even care about us. When you can see everything that has occured and will ever occur in the existence of everything, (as must be the case for an omnipotent being) the evolution of the solar system, and intelligent life on one little rock in a universe likely filled with intelligent life is insignificant. He already knows it all.

<Well, likewise here, there are many opinions on just what god knows ... everything from being retarded to omniscient and back again. Personally, I imagine that if there is such a being ... this being is vastly more intelligent and powerful than man but not omnipotent nor omnicient.>

'Life' itself (his own existence) would have little meaning, as he would already know the result of any actions he might take. Merely thinking about doing something and it's consequences would reveal it's results. You effectively get to see the results of the experiment without ever having actually conducted it. Also is it still free will if another being already knows every decision we WILL make (not might make)?

<Question ... is god a "he" does such an entity have a gender per se?

Well heres the rub, now if this entity designs the universe with all of its subcomponents and understands how each element on every level operates within the larger paradigm known as the universe ... the it can be argued that such a diety will have the ability to "predict" every aspect of the workings of the universal machine ...

God creates and understands the universe on an omnicient level ...
    God consciously designs every element to be "just so" ...
    God is never wrong (thus all designs are as intended)
    God understands every aspect of humans and all interactions with the universe (being the omnicient engineer)
    Therefore, God has knows what everyone will do because this being understands so completely its creation that prediction is becomes merely the functional confirmation of the intended design.

Now would this or could this scenario be considered conducive to "Free Will" ... or are we (unaware) cogs in the cosmic clock?>

Personally I think there's less problems if one doesn't consider God to be omnipotent. Powerful yes, but not all knowing.

<That would be my tentative guess with the postulation of such an entity>

Whilst Christianity does seem to specify that God has a pre-occupation with us, by way of a covenant made between believers and God, what about other religions? Is it a common feature that we assume we are remarkably different from everything else, that an omnipotent being whose point of view is impossible to fully realise from a human perspective would have an interest in us? Is it just wishful thinking?

After all it definitely does seem that a God that is constantly invoked in a personified form, with all the requisite traits and (seemingly) no consideration given to the consequences of actually being omnipotent is a wholly human creation.

<Well by that same token, one can argue that another's god is the product of human creation... the point being that all of this discussion really is just opinion, speculation and nurturant bias ... I suppose the only real way to know is to die ... and frankly, I am not THAT curious to confirm my opinions ahahahahahahaha>

Sam
    Last edited by SamIam; Jan 02, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

Keeping you in suspense! The King of Fashion may be famous one day The King of Fashion may be famous one day The King of Fashion's Avatar
    Thanks

I have two different concepts that I am still undecidable about which to believe. One belief is the concept of Christianity. I am convinced by this religion because of the story of Jesus. The other belief is of my own thinking that there is a higher power or idol among us, but he or she does not function in ways of any certain religion. He or she is probably the creator of all of life and such, but this leader, from my point of view, probably has nothing to do with any of these religious beliefs that anyone has. From what I believe, this idol probably made life to test mankind, to see how we would function in ways of civilization, and test or intelligence without his will. So the higher power I believe in does have more abilities and capabilities than anyone or anything else in the universe, but to my opinion, I don't see him or her as a character of divinity. I apologize to anyone who disagrees with me. I don't mean to offend anyone.

~Kiss
    Last edited by The King of Fashion; Jan 02, 2006 at 10:21 AM.
    ~Praise me! Extol me! My beauty is unparalleled!~
    Thanks for the signature, Zackraa It's fashion-tastic

Newbie Master Pivot may be famous one day Master Pivot may be famous one day Master Pivot's Avatar
    Thanks

It has been a while since I've been to AO and look what I see when I get back. A question about whether I believe in "god". Mind you, I think it is a good thing. Especially since it opened the door to philosophical and theological discussion.

And to answer the question... Yes, I do believe in God, and I believe in Jesus Christ.
    Master Pivot - Wielder of the Coherent Light Bokken
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamIam

<Well, likewise here, there are many opinions on just what god knows ... everything from being retarded to omniscient and back again. Personally, I imagine that if there is such a being ... this being is vastly more intelligent and powerful than man but not omnipotent nor omnicient.>

<Question ... is god a "he" does such an entity have a gender per se?

Well heres the rub, now if this entity designs the universe with all of its subcomponents and understands how each element on every level operates within the larger paradigm known as the universe ... the it can be argued that such a diety will have the ability to "predict" every aspect of the workings of the universal machine ...

God creates and understands the universe on an omnicient level ...
    God consciously designs every element to be "just so" ...
    God is never wrong (thus all designs are as intended)
    God understands every aspect of humans and all interactions with the universe (being the omnicient engineer)
    Therefore, God has knows what everyone will do because this being understands so completely its creation that prediction is becomes merely the functional confirmation of the intended design.

Now would this or could this scenario be considered conducive to "Free Will" ... or are we (unaware) cogs in the cosmic clock?>

<That would be my tentative guess with the postulation of such an entity>
    Very thought provoking but fundamentally flawed, just because a “god” knows everything doesn’t mean it is fore destined to be one way. It just means that he already knows the out come. I know the outcome of every video game I have every played, does it mean after I have this knowledge I will not play the game again because I know the outcome? No, the fun is in the playing of a game not the outcome. Or a movie, how many times have you watched it more than once? Did you still get enjoyment from that movie, even though you knew the outcome? Much the same way if I know you love apple pie and I bake 3 pies, one of which is apple and the other two something else. If I know you are going to pick the apple pie does that mean I controlled your free will to not pick the other two? No I just already knew the out come. I say “god” is a He since I am a Christian and the Bible states that God is a He.

Quote Originally Posted by SamIam

<Well by that same token, one can argue that another's god is the product of human creation... the point being that all of this discussion really is just opinion, speculation and nurturant bias ... I suppose the only real way to know is to die ... and frankly, I am not THAT curious to confirm my opinions ahahahahahahaha>

Sam
    Ah yes Marxism and the Marxian theory, that “god” and religion is nothing more than man’s creation. The idea that belief in spirits will eventually be transformed into a belief in gods or God, is simply a fantasy that Europeans invented to justify their own colonial intervention in the lives and practices of people who were in possession of material wealth that Europeans desired and ultimately appropriated for their own use from "savage" people who did not deserve to have it.

To quote from Marx and Engels from “The German Ideology”
    “In direct contrast to German philosophy, which descends from heaven to earth, here we ascend from earth to heaven. That is to say, we do not set out from what men say, imagine, conceive, nor from men as narrated, thought of, imagined, conceived, in order to arrive at men in the flesh. We set out from real, active men, and on the basis of their real life process we demonstrate the development of the ideological reflexes and echoes of this life process. The phantoms formed in the human brain are also, necessarily, sublimates of their material life process, which is empirically verifiable and bound to material premises. Morality, religion, metaphysics, all the rest of ideology and their corresponding forms of consciousness, thus no longer retain the semblance of independence. They have no history, no development; but men, developing their material production and their material intercourse, alter, along with this, their real existence, their thinking, and the products of their thinking. Life is not determined by consciousness, but consciousness by life. "

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast