Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do You see Graffiti as art or vandalism?

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    There are a couple of things about this. Nomatter where you do it, doing it on private property isn't cool if you don't ask the owner first. He usually has to spend a lot of time or money to get it off, and that's just affecting the innocent people, not just the gov.

Now for the definitions: Graffiti: Modern art that actually has some appeal to it.

Tags: usually just a one-color spray that indicates that someone can deface public property. This usually isn't in any special "font", and usually looks like an eye-sore. Used either for individual or gang tagging.

I think graffiti is art and looks really awsome. But you should always ask to display your art on someone else's property.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    You people seem to be bent on dividing art and vandalism. Art can be vandalism too you know...

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I think of it depending on the ways, means, and desire on how you use it. Most people I know tag because they find a thrill in it., or they just want their "name" across. I would put this under vandalism really. But there are others, some who actually get paid to do some graffiti art for small comapnies. THat would be art.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenX
    I think of it depending on the ways, means, and desire on how you use it. Most people I know tag because they find a thrill in it., or they just want their "name" across. I would put this under vandalism really. But there are others, some who actually get paid to do some graffiti art for small comapnies. THat would be art.
    To quote myself on this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    If you spray where it is not allowed, it is vandalism pure and simple,
    no matter how many layers you use or how beautiful it is.
    People who get paid to spray where they are allowed to spray =/= vandalism(obviously).

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Hush, I made my point.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    People who get paid to spray where they are allowed to spray =/= vandalism(obviously).
    Hell no, not if McDonalds allow some kiddo to spray on a nearby Burger King's wall then that is still vandalism

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Depends

It depends on what the graffiti has in it. If it has gang or anti semitic art in it, then no, it is not art, only vandalism. However, if the graffiti is not hateful in any way and it is allowed to be posted by the owner of the surface on which the graffiti is, then it is art.

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithe
    I see it as art. It tells a story..I think about what they were thinking when I see it on boxcars..like did they run or get caught and WTF GGMB means..

personally i don't see how "winslow crew massive is da bitch" tells a story, i understand that you can get some beautiful artistic graffiti outthere, but most of what i find is rubbish, i don't see the point of just doing bubble writing in pretty colours on a wall.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast