Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which do you think is better? (child discipline)

Otaku QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Which do you think is better? (child discipline)

Quote Originally Posted by angelan
    QueenOfGames, sorta what i was looking for.

I follow along the same lines. Hitting the kid once or twice to let them know that they shouldn't be doing what they're doing (after having tried other methods) is okay for me. However, if it obviously doesn't work...don't keep smacking the kid. What I don't like is...the parents start getting used to just smacking the kid and as the kid gets used to getting smacked, they just keep smacking them more. There's a point where it just doesn't work any more.

Hearing what my parents said about hitting me as a kid, honestly, I can see myself as one of those definant kids who would just leave the anger pent up from subsequent beatings until I blew up in a fit. If a kid doesn't give the right reaction after hitting them, that's a good sign that hitting is not the way to teaching that kid. The decision to hit or not to hit should be dependent on the child and how he/she (genuinely) reacts and not a simple: "yeah my kid's gonna get a beating if he steps outta line".
    I totally agree with you. Every kid is different as it has been pointed out by various people on this thread. If a parent cannot realize whether of not their child reacts in the right way when they discipline them, then they need a talking to .^_^. Let's hope there are more parents out there that know better. (as time progresses anyway...)

Otaku Lady Karasu I'l Myoshin may be famous one day Lady Karasu I'l Myoshin may be famous one day Lady Karasu I'l Myoshin's Avatar
    Thanks

*grin* Kids quiver at the sight of my scary glare. And big scary voice. I can make children cry in 3 seconds flat.

My LiveJournal --- Tierra de los Meurtos

Newbie Minako_Chan may be famous one day Minako_Chan may be famous one day Minako_Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

yes the beating hurt but in the end I apriate it (my spelling sucks) If they didn't beat Me I would be spoiled beyond believe *shutter* so thank you father for making me live in fear but know, I do not fear your hand, belt, slipper, spoon and other things that were close to you when I have done wrong for now, I know respect toward my elders

Sailor Venus!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

spanking is ok,

But if they hit u in the face then that is wrong!!
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Newbie Minako_Chan may be famous one day Minako_Chan may be famous one day Minako_Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah well very rare that that happends... I try to make a run for it... one time my father pulled me down the stairs

Sailor Venus!

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

Red face Re: Which do you think is better? (child discipline)

ok well I am a child myself and my parents used the old fashion spankin with a belt to discipline me and I have to say it worked because it hurts like hell and gets me scared so knowing that I knew I didn't want that so it sort of pushed me to behave myself...and to me time outs sound really stupid..cuz if my parents gave me timeouts when I was younger I would've made the same mistakes over and over because it would've been peace for me cuz when I got in trouble it was beacuse my lil bro was messing with me and I would hit him..lol

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel1292
    ok well I am a child myself and my parents used the old fashion spankin with a belt to discipline me and I have to say it worked because it hurts like hell and gets me scared so knowing that I knew I didn't want that so it sort of pushed me to behave myself...and to me time outs sound really stupid..cuz if my parents gave me timeouts when I was younger I would've made the same mistakes over and over because it would've been peace for me cuz when I got in trouble it was beacuse my lil bro was messing with me and I would hit him..lol
    I'd have to agree with GuardianAngel1292 but at the same time from personal experience, say that there are always exceptions and different reactions.
    It really depends on the child and their personality. In child psychology the subject of discipline is brought up, but even the book I had admitted that a smack or two won't permanently damage the child or should even be considered abuse. Though I believe there is a fine line between abuse and discipline and it's a line some parents cross with out realizing it.

Like for instance if your child flinches or ducks their head when your hand is raised to them, it's really not something to be proud of. It means they are conditioned to expect being hit when your hand is raised to them. It's something you can notice between generations though, to an extent. Like for instance if I were to raise my arm to most people my age they would flinch, but I've noticed with the lower generations not as many flinch in the slightest. You can tell their parents grew up in the "spanking your child is wrong" era that started at the beginning of the 90's.
    And you have to admit, it does show. Kids today are less likely to respect authority figures, or even show any fear torwards them. But anyways, I'd say if you do it enough to create a conditioned response then you've kind of crossed the line.

I really have no solid opinion on this subject at the moment though. I used to be heavily against spanking, and using physical discipline of any kind whatsoever. I'm a pacifist and not much for violence, but over the years my views have changed. For the most part because I now see what the "Spanking your kids is abusive" era has created. A lot of kids with no fear or respect for authority figures or anyone older than them. Though I have to admit, I really have no idea why the kids today are worse in those areas than kids before but I speculate that is one of the reasons. Perhaps if the parents cut out discipline (of any kind) then the kid grows up not being able to recognize authority figures. If you let your kid walk all over you they aren't going to respect you or anyone else who is older than they are. Like for instance school yard bullying usually the older kids who pick on and scare the younger kids, which in turn makes them realize they shouldn't tell off an older kid or it will be bad. But now with all this bullying awareness and harassment stuff going around that really doesn't happen, and then the hierarchy established between the older kids and the younger ones is lost and distorted.

I would like to note before I get flamed that I'm not trying to say I disagree with stopping bullying or harassment. I'm just making a speculation.
    Just trying to say that now a days everyone is all about protecting the children and pussy footing around them that they are noticing and thinking they can get away with murder. And no matter how they treat someone else there won't be much consequence. I've witnessed and experienced this first hand. Especially where I work.

With that said, I really don't know what is better or what should be done. I don't know what sort of discipline is best. I've just put reasons forth as to why I think kids now a days act the way they do. Or maybe it's just me, maybe they are no worse than kids 10-20 years ago were.
    Last edited by Meiwaku; Jul 31, 2005 at 11:47 PM.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Newbie Quincy Archer may be famous one day Quincy Archer may be famous one day Quincy Archer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri79
    To me, you would get abusive if you hit your children constantly for idiotic reasons.

You don't just hit your child for doing something wrong. You first tell them what they're doing wrong and if they deliberatily do it again, that's when you spank. You just do go spanking the child for doing wrong things, because they are children and they are going to mess up.

I wanna thank Raijin at NarutoEx for this sig!!^_^

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast