Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the us...

Otaku shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath's Avatar
    Thanks
    one word "no", contrary to what I say this is what the media likes to feed you. RIAA can suck mine because they will never catch my personal community.

Over the past few years, there have been many technological developments granting people the ability to download music off the internet. Along with this technological awakening has come much opposition and debate. Many people, mainly those involved in the recording industry, feel that downloading music should be banned because it is a form of theft. Those on the other side of the fence feel that there are actually benefits to artists and consumers to downloading music off the internet.

Downloading music off the internet is a recent technological phenomenon, mainly among college-age young adults. There are several websites people can access to download music for free, although, several of those sites have recently been shut down. Napster, formerly one of the most popular websites to download music, met that unfortunate fate. Napster allowed its “users to find music files in other users’ hard drives. Then you access the music file, you download it, all in a matter of really minutes” (Senate Hearing, 2000).

There are other websites similar to Napster; like Gnutella, Freenet, and the newly developed Kazaa that allow users to download in the same manner. However, Gnutella and Freenet are a bit more complicated than Napster. They allow users to “file-share” and do not require a central server for users to connect to one another. They simply use the Internet service provider of its users to connect. This makes regulating these companies somewhat difficult.

On the other hand, there are a few websites that require people to pay by each song or album downloaded, and the profits are split equally with artists. One of those websites is MP3.com, which is used by many people. Emusic also does the same thing with the downloads they have available.

Downloading the songs off the Internet for free is considered copyright infringement and illegal. Many people think computer experts should create technology to render MP3s obsolete to avoid this problem, but MP3s are not illegal. “If you purchase a CD, use special software to encode it onto an MP3 file, and then listen to the MP3 on your computer, you aren’t breaking the law since you legitimately bought the music you’re listening to” (Scholastic Choices, 2002).

Many people involved in the recording industry, including many big name artists, have spoken out against the frequent downloading of their music on the internet. Artists say that they have witnessed their record sales plummet to devastating lows because people download music that has yet-to-be released. People do not want to purchase a record they can download and record for free. This download frenzy has caused many artists and record labels money because artists often go back to re-record their album to ensure it contains new material, CDs have to be repressed, and new promotion is also a must. Some artists just push up the release date of their album to decrease the amount of time their record is leaked on the Internet or before it actually is leaked.

Those in favor of downloading music off the internet feel like it does not hurt the artists or the record companies. Many people who do download say they only do it to see what an artist’s record sounds like to determine whether or not they want to actually purchase it. Music downloaders also say that CDs are highly overpriced, so they are justified in getting the music for free off the Internet.

Unfortunately, those in favor of downloading music off the Internet are losing the battle. As I stated previously, many websites granting its users access to music for free have been shut down. In the situation with Napster, the five major record labels (Sony, Universal, BMG, EMI, AOL Time Warner) lobbied for the site’s cessation and were successful. “Napster was forced to shut itself down because it could not effectively block the trade of copyrighted material” (D’Angelo, 2002). Eventually, Napster filed for bankruptcy and had been in negotiations to be bought out, when the labels intervened once again and filed notions preventing the sale of the site. The labels have sites of their own available where users pay for the music they wish to download.

Downloading music has become quite a political issue. Senator Orrin Hatch and Senator Patrick Leahy developed a bill, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, to make sure copyrighted material would be protected on the Internet. The bill also provided room for Internet companies to make revenue while providing the material. The bill has yet to be passed. There has been other legislation though, like the No Electronic Theft Act of 1997, which closed the loophole giving immunity from criminal liability to deliberate copyright infringers.

Even colleges and universities across the nation are getting involved. In 2000, over 160 universities had banned Napster and websites like it (Stephen, 2000). There have even been reports of schools confiscating the computers of students caught downloading songs off the Internet. The RIAA has stepped in and asked 2,300 universities to reprimand students caught file-sharing. I stay in a student apartment that provides an Ethernet connection and if you download too much music off the web, they turn off your internet service. Lately, there have been many reports of students getting arrested for operating file-sharing programs for people to download music. Workplaces are also implanting programs to monitor employees’ activities on computers to ensure that they are not downloading copyrighted material while on the job. The RIAA has even began to instant message those who file-share after they have downloaded so many songs with a message to inform them that their identity is known and that they are breaking the law and if they do not stop, legal action could be taken.

I equate downloading music off the Internet with passing a CD around amongst your friends. There is not anything wrong with that. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for sharing music with their friends. Whether sharing a CD with your friends is done over the Internet or not, your friends still get the music for free and have the ability to do whatever they want with the music.

I do not regard downloading music as a form of theft. I feel like if anyone is guilty of robbery, it is the recording industry. Compact discs are highly over-priced. There is absolutely no reason why a CD with only 13 songs (containing only about three or four good songs) should be $20.00. It does not take anywhere near that much to make the CD. I understand many people are expecting to make a profit off the CD, but they still do not have to cost so much. Evidently, many people agree with my point of view. In 2000, the Pew Internet and American Life Project conducted a survey amongst United States Internet users and asked if downloading music was considered theft to them. 53% of the interviewees said they did not regard downloading music as theft, while 31% did. Of all United States citizens, 40% of people said people who download off the Internet are not doing anything wrong, 35% said people who download were stealing, and 25% did not take a stance on the issue (Legard, 2000). Also, I recall a civil suit against the recording industry’s major labels for monopolizing the price of CDs. I saw a legal advertisement in a magazine to join the suit. I did not join, but with as many CDs as I have bought, I feel that I deserve all the free music I download off the Internet.

I do not understand why there is such a big fuss about the current download technology anyway. It is really no different than any other technology that allows people to record audio and visual images. I mean, if you have a VCR and a television, and a television channel shows a movie you like, you can make the decision to record it instead of going out to buy the VHS cassette tape or DVD. You can even rent a movie and transfer it from one VHS tape to another, or borrow a friend’s copy of the film and record it from there. CD burners especially are no different in downloading music. If a friend has a CD, you can easily borrow it, copy it to your hard drive, and record it onto another compact disc, all without paying. There are so many ways to get copyrighted material for free, that I think that it is unfair to attempt to put an end to one method and not all of them.

I have downloaded music off the Internet before. I do it more frequently now as the price of CDs has risen dramatically. I used to purchase CDs all the time, even if I already had downloaded the music and burned it onto a compact disc, because I wanted to see the art and photographs in the booklet of the CD. Now, I could care less to see any of that stuff because it is not worth it for the price you have to spend for CDs.

Downloaded music is much more convenient than CDs anyway. The files on your computer are much easier to organize and keep track of. “They don’t scratch. They don’t take up shelf space. They don’t have to be shuffled in and out of jewel boxes and carousels” (Dibbell, 2000).

Plus, like I said before, often times, you might purchase a CD and it may only have three or four good songs on it. With the use of MP3s, you can just download the few songs you like off one record, along with a few others from another record and create your own mix CD. I know a lot of people that have a mix CD that they have made of their favorite songs of all-time, favorite ballads, favorite party tracks, and so on.

Otaku FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne may be famous one day FallenOne's Avatar
    Thanks
    heh, i dunno what's worse, that you wrote that reply, or that i read it all.

hahaha, JK!!! i actually found it really substantial, good job Shadow, that has to be one of the most highly researched/informative posts ive ever read.

oh yea, and, screw the RIAA.

The end is important in all things.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I agree with shadowdeath, must say that was well put. I tried to read it all but ended up skimming near the end haha....

I agree that the music industry needs to change with the changing times. It's rediculous what they charge for cds. What I would agree with would be record companies getting off their asses, and setting up websites where people can buy tracks. And charge a reasonable amount per track.

The pay sites now that offer you legal downloads have selections that are too small. There are still too many record companies who need a wack in the head so they start changing with the times.

I would gladly pay reasonable fees for tracks that i've tried listening to and like, just to download them in high quality. But I don't like the idea of paying subscriptions to dozens of sites just to get my fix of unique mix of songs. (one site for this artist, another site for another artist, etc.)
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can try to rationalize it all you want but it is still stealing, plain and simple.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Newbie Ashi may be famous one day Ashi may be famous one day Ashi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Get a f*cking paper route or something.

Otaku shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath may be famous one day shadowdeath's Avatar
    Thanks
    "You do not place prices on art
    and peices of literature, paintings on a canvas, pastels on paper
    they all represent art
    art is a joy within that should never be labeled"

Otaku FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel's Avatar
    Thanks
    i hope not because then i will have ot get a job and start working ot get music but if i don't work and spend money on music i won't have any left to spend on anime and stuff and my art supplies and shoes and jewerly and nailpolish and eyeliner and make up and computer stuff....

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    All of you should be ashamed of yourselves for Downloading illegal music.
    Quit Bitching about how you can't get free music when you do nothing to diserve it. Get a Job.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdeath
    "You do not place prices on art
    and peices of literature, paintings on a canvas, pastels on paper
    they all represent art
    art is a joy within that should never be labeled"
    This quote had to of been made by a idiot Hippy. In which...all hippies should be shot.
    Last edited by KenX; Nov 02, 2004 at 01:22 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast