Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 ... LastLast

Thread: does god really exist???

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: does god really exist???

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel
    when i say story i mean like a fairy tale sort of thing fiction... history is proven facts.... is bibble a proven fact? except for some things like jesus and etc.... that's about it... a bibble is a fictional account aka one giant rant. it shoudl have zero to do with god and faith because I beleive it to not substantial enough to be a basis for christianity. most people tend to worship the book itself instead of god
    Actually, most of history previous to the Roman Empire is a collection of oral stories and written journals, letters, and religious writtings along with some small excavation and head scratching. Since the Bible itself is a collection of "oral stories and written journals, letters, and religious writtings" your statement requires it to be defined by what it already is. That is why I found it so ironic.

As history goes the Bible is just as legitimate as any other historical document with religious overtones. Much of the later OT writtings (not just the NT) do have other writtings to back up at least the time frame of many of the political occurances. Only the first three books in the OT lay out the "laws" and origins. The majority of the remainder is a historical account of their dealings, hiarchy of rulers, and wars with other countries.

Disbelieve the religious parts all you want but it is still a historical document.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Jul 26, 2005 at 10:06 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Quincy Archer may be famous one day Quincy Archer may be famous one day Quincy Archer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeath
    a human cant have wing bec. we dont have the same structure the birds(an animal) have.
    Those are only artist rendetions of what people look like in heaven. Doesn't really mean people will have wings.

I wanna thank Raijin at NarutoEx for this sig!!^_^

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel
    the bible is not history... it is a sotry told by men, perhaps they were drunk or high no one knows. what is known is that it is a story. there was no proof ever that some of the thigns that are written in the bibble actually happened.
    Again, I have to disagree. Read it. You'll see just how much history is in it. Most of the history is in the Old Testament. It has everything, from the Aryans, to the Babylonians after them, all the way to the Persians. It's chock full of journals and books, all of which is accurate to the ancient history. Just read.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe god exists. Key being that I believe. Luckily, I don't prescribe to a religion that requires me to witness, so I feel rather burden free talking about my opinions. Funnily enough, I do believe that a good deal of the bible is historically accurate. As has been pointed out multiple times, there have been a plethora of finds, some most notably archaelogical, to support it. I'm a baptized protestant, though that's really on the technical end of religion. My current views on god are somewhat heretical in context to that denomination, though.

In the old testament there's some pretty fantastic stuff that is kind of hard to swallow along with what is concrete, and this isn't omitting the miracles in the new testament either. I can easily believe that Jesus was a real man, as well as Mary, Matthew and his disciples existing, it begs the question of why such hapennings aren't going on now. Now, that's not saying that there's no possibility that they are, mind you, but with our enormous population and communications abilities it seems improbable, at least, that they aren't getting out. Billy Grahm hasn't been carried on high by a whirlwind - yet. Though, that would be a sight to see. I'd probably become an avid watcher of TBN.

Now, someone said something earlier something like, "whatever helps you get through the day". All I have to say is that completely misses the mark. Indeed, for some people, faith makes it much harder to live. Mormons, case in point. Being mormon is not easy in our society. I have a good deal of friends, one of which is my room mate, who vehemently hate them for no particular reason, regardless of the fact that a few of our mutual friends are, in fact, mormon. Why this is the case doesn't matter, but what does matter is this: If they were not mormon they would not be persecuted, and their lives would quite possibly be easier. I admire people of such strong faith, regardless of they happen to believe. There's something deeply disgusting, however, about people who join organized religion so that they can more or less say they're a member. People who play-act at adherence so they can bandy about the words 'christian' or 'wiccan' like it actually means something deeper to them than the organization itself. I will liken this to a costco membership, as inappropriate as it is. When I buy a costco membership, I intend to shop there. If I don't, I will have wasted my money and gotten nothing, but hey, I'm still a member. It's the same with many people and religion. If you find yourself saying, "I'm Christian, I read the bible, but I'm not sure if god exists" I think you've got a serious problem that you need to investigate. Consider your life as the money you're wasting on membership. You'll spend it and get nothing out of it if there is no real faith and belief.

Though I don't consider myself a member of any organized religion I believe god can be sought through such means. Indeed, I think it's harder to believe and have faith without that support, both socially and mentally. As a child I witnessed my mother speaking in tongues on multiple occasions. Not in church, not in social situations, but during her morning devotions when she thought she was alone. What I heard was not babble or some elaborate play, it had the rhyme and rythm of language and it changed each time I saw her doing it. It's something small, for me, but not something pointless. It's enough for me to believe in at least something more, and believe honestly.

Newbie Miyasashi may be famous one day Miyasashi may be famous one day Miyasashi's Avatar
    Thanks

What makes you think God exists? There is no proof or whatsoever, plus if he exists, doesn't mean he's as good as people think he is.

What if 'the Devil' created us humans to dominate the world?
    Since we're destroying the world actually.... we're not making it a better place.

I'm not in some cult or religion, I just state it as I think.

Who knows who or what 'God' or 'The Devil' is, If God is a supreme being of justice, I don't think he'll forgive you for everything, he's actually the one that sends you either to heaven or hell.

Discrimination actually :P

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that's the point, really. I don't need proof for something I can feel so strongly about in the same way that when I like a girl I don't need to go get a series of neurological tests to see which parts of my brain are active and what neurotransmitters are being released. I know it's happening even if I didn't happen know the physical properties behind it. This is how we function.

Newbie Miyasashi may be famous one day Miyasashi may be famous one day Miyasashi's Avatar
    Thanks

Liking a girl is something that can be proven by neurological tests...
    But how are you going to proof that God exists?

Maybe God has split personalities, and his other personality is 'The Devil'
    Everyone and everything has a good and a bad side, so God must have one too.

I must say that religion is one thing that seperates people instead of bringing them together.

How many religions are there? Atleast 4, some religions have something against each other, what about the wars?.... are those supposed to bring us together?
    Don't think so ^^

If God is a being of justice and goodness he should've let people be able to release themselves from religions and live together in peace.

But maybe that's just the 'bad' side of God
    Last edited by Miyasashi; Jul 27, 2005 at 07:09 AM.

Otaku FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel may be famous one day FallenAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Disbelieve the religious parts all you want but it is still a historical document.
    so if the bibble is a historical document, that means that everything in it is true, also the creation of adam and eve? meaning that the bible dismisses the theory of evolution and supports that adam and eve were here first..... is that actually true...??

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 ... LastLast