Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: does sexuality in games effect children?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    It occures to me for the purpose of this thread it might help to define what a child is. I think of children as being age 2-8, youth 9-12, and 13-17 as teenagers/young adults. Between the age of 2-8 it is very possible to have control over what your child is exposed to to a great degree, but you had better be explaining why. Once they hit 9 cognitive thought has developed (begins at 8) and if you haven't taught them to think for themselves they will be at the mercy of their friends and their own whims, (not to mention the worlds), as they do step out of the influence of the home.

As I said, claiming that if their not exposed to it at home they will simply find it elsewhere is a copout. Sure eventually they will run into all the ___ out there but it is possible to protect them from it until they are old enough to understand what they are looking at.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Styx_Insanity may be famous one day Styx_Insanity may be famous one day Styx_Insanity's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    It occures to me for the purpose of this thread it might help to define what a child is. I think of children as being age 2-8, youth 9-12, and 13-17 as teenagers/young adults. Between the age of 2-8 it is very possible to have control over what your child is exposed to to a great degree, but you had better be explaining why. Once they hit 9 cognitive thought has developed (begins at 8) and if you haven't taught them to think for themselves they will be at the mercy of their friends and their own whims, (not to mention the worlds), as they do step out of the influence of the home.

As I said, claiming that if their not exposed to it at home they will simply find it elsewhere is a copout. Sure eventually they will run into all the ___ out there but it is possible to protect them from it until they are old enough to understand what they are looking at.
    By the way you say that, it seems you must be a good parent.
    thus - I admire your parenting skills, I really do.
    sadly, not all parents possess the ability to teach what you teach your children.
    Your capable of all that, but most parents aren't. that fact cannot be denied, as it is thrown in our face everyday. I dont know about you, but I see corrupt children running all over, and its obviously for that reason. (unless other problems occur in the child's childhood)
    Not only that, but most homo sapiens that roam this planet can't think for themselves..
    I agree with what you say, but not entirely... there are plenty of parents who can't do a f****** thing about what they're children do.
    yes they are crappy parents, but thats another story

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    People should be more aware of the ESRB game rating system. I mean it's there for a reason, and if people are afraid of their children playing certain games, then they should take the matters into their own hands. Every game published has it's own rating, and parents/guardians should be more aware of whats going on in their children's gaming lives.

Those who ignore what their children play should act, or stop complaining about it. The system is easy to understand.

EC = Early Childhood
    Titles rated EC - Early Childhood have content that may be suitable for ages 3 and older. Contains no material that parents would find inappropriate.

T = Teen
    Titles rated T - Teen have content that may be suitable for persons ages 13 and older. May contain violent content, mild or strong language, and/or suggestive themes.

AO = Adults Only
    Titles rated AO - Adults Only have content suitable only for adults. Titles in this category may include graphic depictions of sex and/or violence. Adult Only products are not intended for persons under the age of 18.

E = Everyone
    Titles rated E - Everyone have content that may be suitable for persons ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal violence, some comic mischief and/or mild language.

M = Mature
    Titles rated M - Mature have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain mature sexual themes, more intense violence and/or strong language.

RP = Rating Pending
    RATING PENDING
    Titles listed as RP - Rating Pending have been submitted to the ESRB and are awaiting final rating.
    ------------------------------------------------

The games that are rated RP are very few. In these cases you (the parent/guardian) should do some research and learn more about the game.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    ^ I argee. I think some parents should kinda you know, "research" the game their child's gonna play, ESPECIALLY if it's M rated. and if the parent bought the game for their enjoyment, and can't control when and how much the kid plays it.

Personally, I think violence has much more of an effect on the much younger kids rather sex. If the kid has an older bro or sis that is into it though, and plays video games that reflect that, THEN the kid's more likely to be interested.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Any one here know the ESRB rating, especially the one who started this thread, you should. Ex-paranoia has explained it all but it's up to you to follow it. Also, I believe there needs to be a rating in between teen and mature regarding blood and violence in games. Maybe YA for young adult.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    that, and restrict what they destingsh b/t what should be T and what should be E I've seen many games rated teen that I believe should've been E. I do believe that for the most part, the rating for games is quite accurate. But another problem is of course the people that sell the games, but don't care if your 8 and buying Halo 2.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    E = Everyone
    Titles rated E - Everyone have content that may be suitable for persons ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal violence, some comic mischief and/or mild language.

T = Teen
    Titles rated T - Teen have content that may be suitable for persons ages 13 and older. May contain violent content, mild or strong language, and/or suggestive themes.

Dark, this depends on what part you think should change.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Thanks
    There's few, but i'll give you my example.

Super Smash Bros. Melee. Rated: T.

now there's is little to no difference b/t this and it's precessor, and the 1st was E.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast