Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Downloading memory

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Downloading memory

See I have an IBM thinkpad Win2000 w/ Intel Pentium III. I currently have 130.544 MB.

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd suggest getting your laptop cleaned out for adware and such, and tossing in a stick of 256mb laptop mem.

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok cool. I'll check prices on MB. I'm backed up on stuff. I have mb I need, a game engine, 100 DVD cases, 100 blank cds, 5 KMFDM DVDs. Anyone else have tips?

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks

here's a tip. first, you need to get your terms straightened out.

quit referring to ram as MB as MB can stand for anything such as motherboard, a unit of memory capacity, and unit of storage capacity. just stop referring it is MB. it will do you and others who are trying to help you a world of good.

second, i believe what you're referring to as a game engine, is actually the onboard video [a hardware component] whereas a game engine has nothing to do with improving your laptop's performance. don't worry about this if you're not trying to play any current-gen games. also there's a very good chance you cannot upgrade your laptop's onboard video given that notebooks back then weren't given that option.

third, having 100 dvd cases, 100 blank cd's isn't going to help you improve your laptop's performance. it has no direct correlation with ram.

Laid Back Otaku Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: Downloading memory

yeah...i agree with everyone u can't really download memory, 'cause when u download something it takes up some memory...so ur only option is buying memory

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

For current apps and games, todays optimal standard is at least 512Mb of ram, but then again, running win2k will eat up less ram than XP. If you're short on cash, try selling your stick(s) on ebay (you'll won't get too much, but it might help pad the cost of new ram).

Another trick you might want to try is checking out your local salvation army for old computers to pull ram from. I'm not sure of the speed of your laptops ram, but I found two 128 Mb pc133 sticks that they sold to me for a dollar each. They didn't even know what they were. Now my win98 test box has a comfortable 384Mb (or somethinglike that) of ram.

But ram isn't all. I've said it a bunch of times in this forum already, but I'll say it again- clean and defragment your drive. Erase old or non-used programs, get rid of junk and temp files, and then defrag. Older laptops run with 4200 or 5400 RPM drive. These are considered somewhat slow these day, so they could use the speed boost of an organized spindle. Also disable unneeded start-up programs.

Newbie fuujin may be famous one day fuujin may be famous one day fuujin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128
    Ok cool. I'll check prices on MB. I'm backed up on stuff. I have mb I need, a game engine, 100 DVD cases, 100 blank cds, 5 KMFDM DVDs. Anyone else have tips?
    It is obvious you have no idea what your talking about.

1) as said before, MB stands for Mother Board in most cases, expecally when you are talking bout checking prices. Use the term RAM or Memory.

2) On the other note, memory does not mean Hard Drive space. That is normally reffered to HDD space or storage.

3) Game engine?? Probably mean graphics card. A game engine is software that handles rendering, physics and such for games. As for a graphics card.... don't know how you are going to do that with a laptop.

4) Also said before, unless you are low on HDD space all those cd's (and why would we even care that you have cases for them??? no idea why) arn't going to do a single thing for you.... at all with respect to preformance.

5) Don't bite off more than your computer can chew. Your computer can only do some much processing so don't give it more than it can or your going to get a locked up computer.

6) As for buying memory, look at newegg.com if you can buy stuff on line.

7) As for Download memory.... don't ever say that agian, ever. It makes no sense at all.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Instead of being an @$$ like most of the people who have posted on your thread and insulting you, let me help you.

First you need to find out what kind of memory you need for you laptop and how much you want. (Example: a ThinkPad 390X 2626-M0U takes PC100 SDRAM SODIMMs) search the internet for your model and you should be able to find all the necessary info.

Also you need to know how much maximum ram your ThinkPad can hold and what the maximum is for each slot, because the total for each slot is the total amount of ram possible divided by # of slots. (Example: a ThinkPad 390X 2626-M0U has a max capacity of 512 MB and 2 slots thus you would have to get two 256 MB chips, one for each slot to get 512 MB)

Next you need to find out if the ram is proprietary to IBM (meaning that only IBM makes a type that will work in the ThinkPad of yours) this could mean that it could be very costly to upgrade. From what I can tell it isn't and you should be able to find a cheaper product (i.e. 128 MB chip for the ThinkPad 390X 2626-M0U is about $70 US)

Also it is a pain in the butt to upgrade a laptop, and unless you really know what you are doing you shouldn't try. Go to Best Buy or call a IT professional and they can install for you, again only necessary if you don't know what you are doing.

Hopes this helps.
    Last edited by Chiefblackhammer; Sep 13, 2005 at 07:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2