Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drilling in the Alaskan Refuge

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Drilling in the Alaskan Refuge

Drilling for Oil in the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge

I think that drilling in the arctic national wildlife refuge should be avoided. There is a bill that will allow for drilling for oil in the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge. The U.S. Geological Survey said as of 2000, that there would be around a 95% chance of there being 1.9 billion barrels of oil, and up to a 5% chance of there being 9.4 billion barrels of oil.

Since Americans on average use 25 barrels of oil per year, that's millions of barrels per day. Study's, and mathematical calculations say that we could sustain off the Refuges oil supply (without any other oil aid) for 6 months. If we imported oil, we could extend it for a couple of years.

The National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997 insures protection of our nation's wildlife recourses, but some officials deny that drilling for mass amounts of oil would ruin the habitat. In essence, areas of alaskas average temperature have risen 8 degrees by our expanded use of greenhouse causing gasses. This endangers the wildlife that NEEDS temperature. Up in the refuge, it is a very sensitive and ballanced ecosystem. If you vary it by a little, it will go out of ballance and be destroyed or badly injured.

And in essence, since we only will prolong our gas prices for a couple of years, why bother? Its not like were expending big money on alternative energy, and just biting our time untill that breakthrough comes along. Government puts slivers of their money into better energy acts. In fact, the Kyoto Protocalls were signed by 30+ countries with the highest industrialized societies, but America, one of the biggest polluters, and highest industrialized didn't sign the protocol. Thats one example of how America doesn't want to improve our standard of living, and how that we will eventually fall into economic collapse once our oil supplies run out.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Drilling in the Alaskan Refuge

I dont know where you get your info, but oil reserves won't run out in two years. Yes it will run out, but not for a decade or two. Theres still plenty of reserves in texas and foreign places like the mid-east and south america. Hopefully by then alternative methods will be set up.

Back to the topic. I dont thin they should drill in alaska, at least until the reserves get real bad in a decade or two.

Idiot Impaler Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216 may be famous one day Agent Orange 216's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    Since Americans on average use 25 barrels of oil per year, that's millions of barrels per day. Study's, and mathematical calculations say that we could sustain off the Refuges oil supply (without any other oil aid) for 6 months. If we imported oil, we could extend it for a couple of years.
    How in the world did you come up with that calculation? 25 barrels per year, millions per day? Even if you did write that backwards and you meant to write 25 barrels per day, it wouldn't add up to millions per year. It would add up to something between 7,500 and 7,750 barrels.

Here's a site you might wanna check out:
    http://www.geocities.com/davidmdelan...depletion.html

Research pwns. Also, here's a site about what you're talking about to help everyone else that reads this thread:
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03308101.htm

And another one:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7574562/
    Last edited by Agent Orange 216; Dec 12, 2005 at 08:49 AM.
    The Last Remaining Realist.

See Dick Buy Beer, See Dick not Tip, See Dick try again, See Dick Go thirsty. Moral of the Story: Don't be a Dick.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Agent Orange is right, your math is broken.

As for the environment there are techiniques for drilling now that allow them to take oil from areas from miles away. It's not like the old blowspouts they used in the old days. Impact will be minimal. As for why they need to start now? It can take up to 10 years to build and "produce" oil.

oh, and the reason the Kyoto Protocalls were rejected is because the measures called for would have bankrupt the US economy in 4 months.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not the drilling itself that will cause the problems, it's the impact of building an oil complex in an area where there is currently NOTHING but two small settlements (my father lives in one of them). ANWR is hundred of miles east of the current Alaskan North Slope oil fields. The area that is proposed for the building of the oil complex is in the middle of major caribou migration route, the nesting area of some rare ducks, and the migratory path of whales.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh..without actually doing any research at all and at risk of sounding like an idiot. I will defend the math used above. I beleive YAF was saying that the average american(1) uses 25 barrels a year. how many americans are there (x) times 25 barrels a year. Millions( let's say 2 mil) a day (365) which totals out to 730 mil. So assuming the number of 25 per person per year is correct how many people would it take to burn "millions" a day?
    25(x)=730,000,000 , so if there are 29,200,000 people in america using that much oil then his statement would be true. I'm not sure how many people are in the US let alone how many of them are using how much oil. However his math does sound plausible to me.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

??*Everyone Here Hates Me??* Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    Uh..without actually doing any research at all and at risk of sounding like an idiot. I will defend the math used above. I beleive YAF was saying that the average american(1) uses 25 barrels a year. how many americans are there (x) times 25 barrels a year. Millions( let's say 2 mil) a day (365) which totals out to 730 mil. So assuming the number of 25 per person per year is correct how many people would it take to burn "millions" a day?
    25(x)=730,000,000 , so if there are 29,200,000 people in america using that much oil then his statement would be true. I'm not sure how many people are in the US let alone how many of them are using how much oil. However his math does sound plausible to me.
    yeah I agree
    and booyah to anyone who disagree's

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    How in the world did you come up with that calculation? 25 barrels per year, millions per day? Even if you did write that backwards and you meant to write 25 barrels per day, it wouldn't add up to millions per year. It would add up to something between 7,500 and 7,750 barrels.
    The US population is around 295,734,134 peoples.

lets even say that everyone is enviornmental and say they use 23 barrels per year.

23 times the # of people in US = 6,801,885,082

That # divided by 365 days = 18,635,301.6 (rounded to the tenths place)

Sorry, not millions, 18.6 million per day!!!!! Granted, the population means also babys and people who can't drive, so I just would take off 6-8 million barrels off that estimate, and you got a good idea.

7,500??? where did YOU get that number?

Oh, and I also conducted an experiment in my enviornmental science class. My car, which gets 30 miles to the gallon, and I drive very little puts:
    185 pounds of cfc's into the air PER WEEK!
    My teacher said that was very low. Compared to an average person which puts in the 400-550 lbs per week range. (granted, probably suv drivers...)
    But thats per week, and think about the millions of poeple, per year...scary.
    Last edited by youth_anime_fan; Dec 12, 2005 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast