Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drilling in the Alaskan Refuge

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Drilling in the Alaskan Refuge

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Lol!

Yeah, I'm sure that the fact that several of the current platforms in the area have been put offline to the tune of millions from all the hurricanes has nothing to do with it.

mmmhhmmm...
    At least the hurricanes won't crack the oil well casings like a underwater earthquake fault did in the Santa Barbara channel back in the 60s. The result was that the oil starting seeping through the fault and spewing off the ocean floor, resulting in a massive oil slick. The only way to stop it was to drill a intercepting well, then pump the casing full with drilling mud. It took a full 18 months to bring the oil spill under control...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Point.

I am going to asume that the industry has advanced considerably in the last 45 years however. Are they actually planning on laying a pipe across the fault? Or are they avoiding that this time?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Point.

I am going to asume that the industry has advanced considerably in the last 45 years however. Are they actually planning on laying a pipe across the fault? Or are they avoiding that this time?
    What happened was that they accidently drilled through fault, which was why the couldn't control the blowout. The top of the well casing was completly cut off by the fault movement... Earthquake fault geology still isn't an exact science, as there still discovereing active faults that have been folded over by rock layers and are hidden from view... And the fault zones can't be avoided, since all the oil deposits in California are all associated with fault activity... This is the primary reason why the state of California still bans drilling in that region. And there is some dispute on the new Federal rules and if they over-ride the local jurisdiction... And since cute little sea otters have moved back into the Santa Barbara channel, it's going to be a tough sell to allow drilling again...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

You know Len, you're making Alaska sound better and better.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh it looks like political battle to the death between the Cute Little Sea Otters (CLSO) and the Alaskan Wildlife Alliance (AWA).
    Which would you rather leave a home for? The otters, or the moose, geese, wolves, polar bear and whatever else?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange 216
    Gotcha. You were saying each person uses 25 barrels per year (or so). I took it as all of America does seeing as how you said "Americans on average..." as opposed to "an American on average uses..." to make your statement. I took it the wrong way. So now I understand, thanks for clearing that up, so on and so forth. Enjoy being right for once.
    very gracious of you AO, are you patronizing him?
    Last edited by PsiKnot; Dec 12, 2005 at 11:36 PM.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

That made....no sense, PsiKnot....

anyway, I do agree that more alternatives should be taken before we start drilling in protected areas. Besides, now that the gas prices have risen, we know that the U.S. people will be able to withstand whatever future comes their way, and they will always be dependent on oil, unless cars using another means is widely used...

I get this from what happened in Hurricane Katrina. Gas prices soared from 1.98 to 3.00 in Minnesota, and we have it good compared to other states! People still bought the gas, and still drove almost as much! Granted, you might not go out just for that burger you've been craving, but there were no riots, or calls to action.

The American people still have a ways to go before the mass public starts to call for action and reform of the oil crisis. Only if the mass public calls for a Heavy Look into alternative energy, then we will make good headway into alternative energy. But right now, nobody cares enough to sink an extrodinary amount of money into it, even though were riding down a rollorcoaster with broken tracks...

Newbie teddeler may be famous one day teddeler may be famous one day
    Thanks

The solution - bicycles, lots of bicycles.
    And some decent public transportation.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about oil since I don't own a car and only feel the effects indirectly (like the price of food going up because the price of transporting it has gone up). In a capitalistic society prices go up until people stop paying them and start seeking alternatives but we seem to be addicted to our cars. In England the government kept raising taxes on gasoline to try to encourage people to use the public transport so now they spend the equivalent of eight dollars a liter on gas and their road system is still jam packed (admittedly their public transport system is also jam packed, they just have too many people).

I'm of the opinion we should leave the oil reserves alone so that they're still in reserve when it becomes impossible to get oil elsewhere.

In the meantime, I'll stick to my bike.
    Who-Otaku, brown belt.

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

Otaku PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot may be famous one day PsiKnot's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsiKnot
    Oh it looks like political battle to the death between the Cute Little Sea Otters (CLSO) and the Alaskan Wildlife Alliance (AWA).
    Which would you rather leave a home for? The otters, or the moose, geese, wolves, polar bear and whatever else?
    Ok, well apparently my little joke just sucked. So you didn't find it funny thats fine but I'm not sure why you didn't understand the concept. I thought that it was rather clever. See, they were talking about the california oil area that cute little otters have moved into, while the original topic was about messing up the delicate eco-system in alaska. With poloticians controling who drills where I made the jest of there being a political battle for which area would be drilled in, thus the survival of the habitat and therefore the animals living there. To complete this joke I thought that making the animals in said areas sound organized, by giving their group a name, would make them seem like they would actually be a political group.
    Is that the part you didn't get? Maybe it was the second part, which was not meant to be a joke. "Which would you rather leave a home for?" This is a question posed to the reader. The next part gives two groups to choose from; the first group the "otters" is seperated from the second group by the word "or". The second group of animals are listed after the word "or" so that the reader can deliniate them from the first group. This group included "moose, geese, wolves, polar bear and whatever else" the first four are different types of animals that live in Alaska and the "and whatever else" part was meant to include all the other animals that live there that were not listed previously. And all this is based on the assumption that drilling in the animal's habitat would endanger said habitat thus leaving no home for the animals listed in either choice.

I hope that I have explained my earlier post in enough detail so that anyone else who reads it will be able to make sense of my terrible use of the english language. Moreover I would like to appologize to anyone who was offended by the before mentioned attrocity that was my bad joke. Thank you, -PsiKnot
    Last edited by PsiKnot; Dec 13, 2005 at 11:42 PM.

Thinking is the leading cause of death among the stupid.
    Signature and Avatar made by Zackraa. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast