Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: du u think tae kwon do should be taught as a pe unit?

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: du u think tae kwon do should be taught as a pe unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Felnor
    No they shouldnt. The reason for this would be that a PE teacher would not be qulifyed to teach martial arts. Its a bit different than teaching cricket. I people want to learn it, they should go to a dojo and get someone who is properly quilifyed to show them how its done. Its not something you can teach properly in two hour lessons a week for a term.

^__^ This is definitely something I can agree with. Even though Tae Kwon Do isn't as focused upon as a way of life in the world of martial arts. It definitely cannot be done by a P.E. teacher... however, two hour lessons a day would be more beneficial if placing it within a school context. But that would be a tad... well... unattractive when it comes to your scheduling.

I suppose basic martial arts can be placed into a P.E. unit... but I must underline the BASIC. ...let's just say, it's like giving everyone waterballoons and expecting no one to make the pavement wet.

Just a form of self-build that can also improve the length of your life, and self discipline perhaps.

( However, many people can counter my words by simply stating: "We're taught how to tackle in football. You don't see us tackling the teachers around." ... with that statement, I can easily counter: "Yes, but have you ever given an insecure and unstable "geek" your body build and your tackling abilities? ...try it." Not everyone's the same, especially when it comes to not-so-easy-to-manipulate/brainwash people. )

. . . though wrestling could be counted as a martial arts (into the grappling section we go), it's still placed into sport programs because of how quick it is to learn. It's more of a "hands-on Anatomy Sport" if one could say. Tae Kwon Do was meant to strike the opponent... allowing higher percentages to cause serious injury.

................. do you also know how much it would cost in the long run as well?

+*+*+ SITUATION TIME +*+*+

~Freddy, a highschool student, who has gone through 3 years of Tae Kwon Do has failed his third final for the day. In supreme grief and disappointment, he is lead to anger and wishes to break something. Trying to calm himself down through simple excercises and borrowed meditation techniques from other martial arts, he realizes that he WISHES to express this anger. However, harming a student or a faculty member would surely erase all chances of him going to the college he wishes to go. But his anger is rising, and his mental status in life hasn't given him the knowledge of "Why should I?", so he lifts his leg, and drop kicks the table into two seperate pieces.... good job Freddy, good job.~

-$-$- End Situation -$-$-

... but if a school did have it in P.E. ... well, we would certainly see whose anatomy and discipline is perfectly suited for the martial arts... wouldn't we? ^_^

Newbie InuFilipinaFan may be famous one day InuFilipinaFan may be famous one day InuFilipinaFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Although it would teach students how to defend themselves, It still wouldn't be a good idea. They'd have to get different PE teachers to teach that.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I see no reason why it shouldn't.

What's with you people? No interest? Don't want to do?
    PE is something that you (should) have to do.
    It's like saying "I don't take mathematics because it doesn't interest me."

There are multiple countries were combative arts are part of the regular learning schedule.
    The only real problem is (as was pointed out earlier) getting the money to hire qualified instructors. If they can manage that it shouldn't be a problem.

Newbie turd furguson may be famous one day turd furguson may be famous one day turd furguson's Avatar
    Thanks

my school teaches karate well it's after school....but they still teach it in the gym!!
    what are we talking about.............. can i poke you(pokes screen)

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

It would be simply amazing if they include any form of martial arts in PE session. But Swarga Chakra rocks harder !!!!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Bad idea. At my school, only 3 credits of PE is required. The only reason anyone takes it is one: They have no choice; Two: They're an athlete, or Three: easy credit. The class I was in, they bitched, they moaned, they didn't give a damn about any of the sports, none of them! Why teach a bunch of apathetic teenagers that don't give a shit? Even with a proper Martial Arts instructor, all they'd hear is class clowns and whiners. Keep it in a place where people can embrace it if they choose, not have it shoved down their throat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2