View Poll Results: Do you watch anime Subtitled or Dubbed?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subtitled only

15 30.00%
  • Both, but i prefer subtitles

12 24.00%
  • Both, no preference

11 22.00%
  • Both, but i prefer Dubbed

6 12.00%
  • Dubbed only

0 0%
  • OOH! SHINY BUTTON!

6 12.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dubbing vs. Subtitling

Otaku sedka may be famous one day sedka may be famous one day sedka's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dubbing vs. Subtitling

I prefer subs over dubs. Mainly, I had too many bad experiences with dubs. Mainly the dubbed voices does not reflect who the chracter is. Second, many dubs' translations aren't correct. There are very very few dubs that I would watch.
    If you watch the dubs and then watch the subs, in majority of the animes, you'll notice it is very different.

Of course it's easier to focus on the anime in the dubbed versions. But I perfer the original voices. The voice acting is just better in the original with subs then the dubs.

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

For the record: I almost always watch subtitled anime. I appreciate the Japanese voice acting a bit more. Though the US versions may have better sound/effects, I'm generally unimpressed by the acting. One or two characters may be good, but the supporting actors sound like they were taken off a cosplay stage in Dallas somewhere.

A note about lip-syching I've read on the Net (somewhere...). Western markets are often over-critical about timing and whether the character looks like they're saying what is heard. In contrast, Japanese audiences (or just directors?) aren't that bothered by inexact timing. I don't know if the end result is more frustrating for Western dubbers or not.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

Rarely has there been an anime series I just could not stand dubbed, but really it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I watch dubbed, sometimes subtitled, so I really have no preference unless one just sounds terrible. If I was forced to choose which one I wanted for the rest of eternity however I think I'd take dubbed only because there are some nights I sit up watching anime where I really just want to relax and not read, I know thats a weak excuse, but thats the honest to God truth.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer subbed my husband prefers dubbed. lol

When I'm in a strange mood and the recording allows it sometimes I'll watch both just to see the difference.

Reasons? I like the subbed because I can get an accurate translation without worrying about whether the words match the lips etc. Also since most of your impression of characterization in anime comes from the voice I like hearing the origional character interpetation.

My husband, well he agrees with Delerium. He just wants to relax.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie syn~a~mon may be famous one day syn~a~mon may be famous one day syn~a~mon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    I prefer subbed my husband prefers dubbed. lol
    My husband is the same way! He's gotten really used to seeing stuff subbed, but he prefers dubbed for the same reasons Delerium stated.
    I'll watch either, but I prefer subbed because sometimes dubs just don't quite capture the character's personality as much as the original voice might. However, I don't think the quality of dubs are as bad as they used to be years ago. Probably one of my favorite dubs is Golden Boy; it's one of the few cases where I'd pick the dub over the sub.

Devoted Otaku N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja may be famous one day N.Y._Soulja's Avatar
    Thanks

don't really care as long as I have an understanding of wat is being said
    You should stop talking about your dreams, and start making them.

http://kuv319.tumblr.com/

There is something so human in the desire to never give up, while at the same time, never giving it your all?

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks

Oh god, not another one.

Oh look, Shiny Button.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider2004

lemme know what you prefer! this is for a school paper so be honest ok? thanks!

You need to switch schools.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast