Thread: DVD free zoning

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Qu├ębec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks

DVD free zoning

OK I got a real question for you geek, Is there a way, by inserting a Special DVD to allow a DVD player zone 1 to read dvd from zone 2 or 3. And also for the computer DVD Drive, Is this allow to play DVD from other zone through special player or by default.
    Coming soon.........

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DVD free zoning

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Unless the DVD player was specifically designed to do this, the general answer is NO!. The DVD Region support is normally burnt into the product firmware and is normally not modifiable. (I've have heard of some units, because of firmware flaws, having secret access to diagnostic menus, or secret menus accessed from a built in diagnostic serial port on the unit... I've also heard of DVD players that are firmware upgradeable using a special DVD, which could be used to change the Region support if a different market/country firmware version was loaded...)

As for computer DVD-ROM units, most of them are set up so that the Region support can be changed by software, or Jumper postion, but only a limited number of times (usually 4 to 6), before the change becomes fixed. The exception to this are DVD drives that do not have any Region hardware support, and are dependent on Software for Region decoding. (Samsung drives tend to do this...) DVD-ROM units could be changed from this behavior if a aftermarket custom firmware is available and loaded, but changing to a non-company approved firmware mod will of course void the warrenty...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DVD free zoning

Heh, as always, LenMiyata just acts faster than me I am on the completely same tracks as LenMiyata, but I'd like to say my things since I've gotten some written already.

Now, usually such things don't work, if the drive itself has a region lock in it. Why such things (like DVD Region-X) work on things like PS2 and alike is because the lock is in the software, not the hardware (or at least not in the drive). On PC, if the drive is locked there's almost no way of breaking it except for rewriting the firmware with one that has no region lock (a hacked firmware, that is). Of course various software do exist that claim that they can read the DVDs even if the drive by itself can't, but it's really much better to have a full-blown no-region-locked- drive than something that depends on some Win32 software. As an addition, the region unlocker- programs just didn't work for me so I went for the firmware flash .

As a disclaimer: "Not does such action just nullify your warranty, but also might lead to an unoperate'able drive if something should go wrong with the firmware flash". And this is pretty much the same thing as with the warranty of a motherboard, if the flash goes wrong - no warranty, whether or not the firmware/bios is the maker's own or not. Usually the warranty only implies to the firmware already stored on the device, not anything the user had put into it.

Then there's the issue with "standalone" DVD players. Some might let you do just what you described (put in a CD/DVD with the firmware update and the updater [or some sign that there's a firmware on the media] and update the DVD player firmware with a non-region-locked- one) or that there's a specific code that must be inputted so that you get to the debug menu where you can change the code settings (my LG DVD player had a debug menu so I got the lock off that way). But this all is awfully dependant on the model of the DVD player.

Serial ports... never heard of such means to access the DVD player's debug menu . Well, someone's really got to want to get his/her DVD player unlocked in order to actually connect to a serial port on the DVD Player's motherboard and input some data in order to get the menu out. Or is this just about jumpers on the motherboard?

Well, for the player there's Google (took me a week of research to find the means to unlock my drive) when using keywords like "%model% region-free" or something like that. For DVD-rom drives there's always "The Firmware Page" (I don't know whether it's illegal to put the link here, as far as I understand modified firmwares are somehow on the grey line, but you have to own the drive in order to use them...). Well, Google will find it, too.

And, if you actually consider re-flashing your firmware, you should do it in a stable environment, not on Win9X/NT- based systems. Preferably DOS (which has minimum drivers loaded) or some POSIX- system (Linux etc.)

I hope posting this wasn't rude since LenMiyata already did the introductions on the topic. Anyways, I'll bow right now *deep bow*.
    人生フゥ~!!!