Thread: DVD Problems

Otaku millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles's Avatar
    Thanks

DVD Problems

I bought a region free DVD player today. I've been trying to watch some movies that are not region 1. Whenever I play them they go fine for awhile then they start to skip quite a bit. Is there a setting I must have on to make them work properly? I should also point out that these are bootleg copies (yes I know...bad Moon), but I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it since my friend has the exact same DVD player as me and it works for him just fine.

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DVD Problems

It could be overheating or bad laser. Or, of course badly burned DVDs. I don't think any settings help with skipping, AFAIK. But check your DVD player's manual just to be sure (and all those settings you have on your DVD player, just to be sure). Also, try Googling your player's model and checking if there're any reports on similar peculiar problems with using the same model.

Usually, though, my player does such things if 1) it gets put in a place where there's not enough air flow (overheating) or 2) if the DVD is of bad quality (or if the laser can't read the data on the DVD through all the read errors, you choose which to blame ).
    人生フゥ~!!!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

It's most likely due to the discs being bootlegs. Most bootlegs, instead of being 'pressed' like commercial DVDs, are instead burnt onto +R/-R media, which has more hardware compatibility problems. Newer decks are better at handling 'burnt' media, but older decks can have problems...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku GSXR600K1 may be famous one day GSXR600K1 may be famous one day GSXR600K1's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have a burnt DVD. The best thing to do to keep it from skipping is the progressive scan technology.

I used to have alot of skipping on my OLD sony DVD player. I purchased a new Toshibia Progressive scan DVD player and everything works fine.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR600K1
    If you have a burnt DVD. The best thing to do to keep it from skipping is the progressive scan technology.

I used to have alot of skipping on my OLD sony DVD player. I purchased a new Toshibia Progressive scan DVD player and everything works fine.
    Progressive scan concerns the analog video streaming data formats (interlaced vs. non-interlaced) and has nothing to do with reading DVDs. Your reading problems were no doubt solved because the new deck has a newer DVD mechanism with better compatibility with 'burnt' media...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles may be famous one day millionbubbles's Avatar
    Thanks

Nah Len was right. It was just a crappy quality DVD.