Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Etiquette

Newbie OracleAngel may be famous one day OracleAngel may be famous one day OracleAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

Elevator Etiquette

Im sure you all know that some people have silent mouths when it comes coming inside an elevator with people that we humans are too cautios and scared to even say hi, good morning or even start a small conversation even though if th eelevator time ranges from about 10 - 30 seconds but maybe for some of you it doesnt matter. The only time people actually talk is wheter theyre in the empire state or if an elevator breaks down so what can you do then.

Sometimes in Canada its a trend to just say a hello and smile at people who come in... I have a friend who even sings a small tone "La" just to break the silence.

So 2 questions:

1. Do you choose etiquette instead of silent 1984 types when with someone in an elevator.

2. Do you think people (in general) should even bother doing it?

Discuss.

Please move if its in the wrong section or delete this if already discussed.

~ Minitokyo | Blog/Fanfic | Imanimetions~
    "Imagination can move mountains.. no wonder no one believes us"

Otaku Mana may be famous one day Mana may be famous one day Mana's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know, I try to smile if I make eye contact with someone and that's about it. Though occasionally since the person knows I'm not some derranged psycopath waiting for the right moment to pounce on them and quench my cravings for human flesh now since I gave such a polite, dainty smile it'll make them more comfortable to open conversation. Which usually doesn't bother me unless I'm in a helluva bad mood, but even then I try not to bring people into my problems when they're perfectly innocent.

Then again I'm always up for some awesome elevator music. 'Summer Samba' anyone?
    "so i herd u liek mudkips"

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    I keep usually my mouth shut during an elevator ride, but most people I come across give me a slight smile/hello/nod before minding their own business again.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it's all relative to where you live. For instance, I live in a rather densely populated area of washington. Almost no one talks to strangers at all, in any circumstance. On the other hand, when I travel eastward, across the mountains, I am never at a loss for people to talk to, whether I be at a coffee shop, an elevator, or even the bathroom. Why? Social climate. Thus, elevator etiquette, like etiquette in general, changes with where you are.

However, there are some common sense elevator etiquettes that are fun to play with. Get in an elevator with one or two of your friends, and take turns facing the back of the elevator instead of the doors, while the others watch the other passenger's unease. Priceless.

And, I think one should bother to engage others in conversation. Too often in my own area are we so apathetic that we won't even offer "Good day" to someone passing us. I can honestly attest that someone being warm and friendly enough to me in such a cold social climate, with something as simple as a smile and a phrase, has made the rest of the day for me.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't go in elevators often, nor do I care. I usually don't say anything, usless it's someone I recognize. Why bother?

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I smile and acknowledge the person there....but I don't break out in song or start up a convo. If they start talking I don't mind....but I personally wouldn't start it. Especially on a crowded elevator ride...it's weird/bad to talk into people's heads/backs =S
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    <<im the loud type on the elevator... cause the only elevators we have in this area is in the school or the hospital... so i get excited T_T "DAMNG the small towns in which i've had to grow up in"
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Not really a debatable topic...

Moving to the Plush Room...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast