Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Thread: The end of the U.S

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Very true, (I hope), but the name of the thread is "The end of the U.S.". Personally I'm still fasinated by the World Unification concept. When I was younger it seemed like it would be so simple, now it seems unlikely. It doesn't keep me from wondering just what could occur to make it possible. As I see it there are basically two ways; someone could conquer everything, or a unified government could merge from present governments. I suppose there is a third option which would be what they did in Robotech, a greater threat unifies the world governments in the face of said threat, but since I don't see us being invaded by aliens anytime soon it's probably even more unlikely then the other two.

Anyone have any other options I missed?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku Rodion may be famous one day Rodion may be famous one day Rodion's Avatar
    Thanks
    What attracted me to the ROBOTECH: MACROSS saga in the first place was the idea that the only way we could unite as a planet is if we all had one common enemy from outer space. Yes, I love the "world unification" idea, but yes, I hope it doesn't have to be just because some Zentraedi want to pick a fight

-RODION
    "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
    - Hypatia of Alexandria

Otaku ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia may be famous one day ex-paranoia's Avatar
    Thanks
    The concept of World Unification is nice. But I don't think it'll ever happen neither, which is sad... There are always people out there who wouldn't care. Anywho... Sleep time x_X 5:07 am...

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    I already gave my opinion earlier but why are we sitting here talking about the fall of the US? We could all agree on that none of us(I hope) want the US to fall, so lets just not worry about it.
    yeah but you can't forget, it's sorta human nature to look for bad news. It's like we're fasinated with all the variables including the bad ones because sometimes hearing about them just isn't enough.

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks
    Heeehehehehe....i would think that umm GODZILLA!!! MUahhHHahahahHahauAahaahahaaa!!!.....lol...neway i would think that the US would hang around for a while until then there is this mad scientist who acts dum and shoots a heat laser at the north pole using one of earths little satelites and then....bZZZZZZZ!!!! Ice burgs melt and a giant tidal wave will destroy the whole world! Then again...we could always go bak to godzillaand instead of the asians running...we americans would b like....GOOD GOD! Run!! Iz GODZILLA!! Then again there is the part about how mexicans can get mad and start a mexican american revolution and we all die from that....and blah blah blah blah blah blah ^^

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    No natural disaster will destroy a country, I mean India and all those other countries out there got hit, but it's not like they're suddenly gonna disappear from the map. lol

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryke12
    Well, Sib, Constantines decision to move the capitol is actually regarded as a smart move, because of the invasions. Constantinople was geographically sound, safe from attack, and yes, even though it gave more power to the east, there was gonna be an east/west split eventually, you know. If he didn't move it, Rome would have fallen almost immediately from invaders no matter what.
    Actualy people have argued this for a long time. First of all, the Eastern and Western Empires already existed when Constantinople was built.

The shift of power to the East Empire was actually pointless, as both the eastern and western capitals worked in unison. So there was no real gain, BUT it did leave Rome itself and the West empire very vunerable. Some believe that had Rome remained as the capitol, then there would have been greater effort to defend it and it possibly could have survived. Of coure that isn't true, as it was widely known even long before Rome fell that it wouldn't last. Infact, there were two other attempts to move the capital to Milan and Nicomedia, but they failed as they simply couldn't replecate the radiance of Rome.

Why I and others think that the move to constantinople was a poor choice is because it ment that they had to completely surrender the resource rich West Empire. Constantinople, though on a key trade route and well positioned for defence and commerce, was simply too far from the western territories still under Roman control, which any empire could ill afford to lose.
    However, had the capitol of the west been moved south across the mediterranean sea to Carthage, the seat of Romes old enemy, then something of the Western empire could have been maintained. Also, the area of Constantinople was atacked repeatedly since before it's creation. A move south, where the northern attackers were unlikely to follow (and was easily defendable anyway) would have represented a more realistic 'Safe haven' for the Romans... and might very well have been far better for all concerned.

What i'm trying to say in short, is that Constantine didn't make the best of the situation and that the move was too hastey. There were many options open to him and he chose an 'average' solution to an 'above average' problem. I mean, why else do we see the Roman empire ending with Rome and not constantinople 1,000 years later?

But again, who really knows? ^^;;

Anyway, Boo45. Um... are you feeling alright?
    Last edited by Sib; Jan 13, 2005 at 02:17 PM.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

End eh?

Ummm... I think that the United States of America is exactly like Rome in the ways it is a center "world power" nation state. We have many periphery countries that agnolage and are allied to the U.S. These countries (very many) aid the U.S. in keeping its world power state and its strangle-hold on the world. This is why people think of the U.S. as a "world police squad" Any nation that denys our continuing existence as a prominent leader of the world--well-- we just attack and conquer. Thats what happened in Cuba, Korea, China, Iran, And is now happening in Iraq. We attacked Iraq mainly because they did not heed to our authority as the "dominent leader." Given this information, you can see why America is a very popular target with so many other countries. That is why terrorists want to attack my homeland and that is why north korea wants nuclear weapons. To stand up against the world power and assert their views and ideas and hopefully either get our of being a periphery country, or become a central country of their own. So all is set up just like the Roman Empire and it probably will go down that way. all "barbarian" countries team up to beat the world leader and send the world into an age where there isn't a strong central country. This would push the world into a slight dark-age, but not as long, since the technology now is used by so many countries, they just will probably use it to destroy us. Buy the individual technology and progress that the U.S. has made and did not share with anyone else will be lost. And knolage is not a nice thing to loose. So Yea, That is what will happen.(and is happening ie:terrorism).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8