Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Endless Road SSX

  1. #1
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Endless Road SSX

    My first introduction to Anime was when I was about 9, 12...I can't remember exactly. All I do know is it was Captain Harlock/Herlock and I was hooked. The local video rental place had some old, badly translated Anime. I would rent it and watch it over and over. Problem was the tapes were so old they just ended up throwing them away leaving me searching for my Harlock fix ever since.

    I now own The Harlock Saga, Queen Esmerelda (1), and Arcadia of My Youth. I just found out that "Space Pirate Captain Harlock" is now availible in DVD and it is just a matter of time until I buy it but it's not what I am looking for. What I want is that fix I had back when I first saw it, Endless Road SSX (the TV series set after Arcadia of My Youth), and I can't find it!!!!

    Can anyone help me? Please?

    In the meantime are there any other Harlock lovers out there I can commiserate with? And if you don't like Harlock, what is wrong with you?! lol JK.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  2. #2
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    I can't find a reference to 'Endless Road SSX', but there is a 'Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX (TV)' anime series, which remains unlicensed for US Region 1 (grumble grumble grumble).
    The other Harlock series I've been searching for is the original 'Galaxy Express 999' TV series, which is the second series that Harlock makes an appearance in. This series from the 'Golden Age' of anime is also unlicensed for 'Region 1'. The original series that Harlock makes an appearence in is either the second or third TV season of 'Space Battleship Yamato'. My collector friend tells me that in the English Dub (Star Blazers) Harlock is shown in the episode previews, but the scenes where he appears have been cut out of the english Dub (drat! curse!)

    My friend and myself coordinate our Anime collections (to avoid duplicates) and between us, we have 'Captain Harlock: The Endless odyssey' (The best of the lot), 'Gun Frontier' (Harlock in the old west, Weak series...), 'Maetel Legend (OAV)', 'Harlock Saga (OAV)' (Harlock vs. the Norse Gods...), and 'Queen Esmerelda'
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

  3. #3
    Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sharks Territory
    Posts
    4,762
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 67 Times in 61 Posts
    does that have to do with all that galaxy express 999 thingy??

    and wow youre on your 666 post

    'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

  4. #4
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    I can't find a reference to 'Endless Road SSX', but there is a 'Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX (TV)' anime series, which remains unlicensed for US Region 1 (grumble grumble grumble).
    I found a site that has done some translations and that is what they called it. Unfortunatly they only translated episode 1-4 and I didn't trust him enough to request them. If 'Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX (TV)' is the TV series that came after 'Arcadia of My Youth' then that's the one I'm looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    The other Harlock series I've been searching for is the original 'Galaxy Express 999' TV series, which is the second series that Harlock makes an appearance in. This series from the 'Golden Age' of anime is also unlicensed for 'Region 1'. The original series that Harlock makes an appearence in is either the second or third TV season of 'Space Battleship Yamato'. My collector friend tells me that in the English Dub (Star Blazers) Harlock is shown in the episode previews, but the scenes where he appears have been cut out of the english Dub (drat! curse!)
    Ok, that would really suck.... I think I can understand "cursing" at that point. Is the Galaxy Express 999 that SciF-Fi showed years ago related to the TV series? I still have a copy that we recorded from TV. It was all people could talk about all week when it showed.

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    My friend and myself coordinate our Anime collections (to avoid duplicates) and between us, we have 'Captain Harlock: The Endless odyssey' (The best of the lot), 'Gun Frontier' (Harlock in the old west, Weak series...), 'Maetel Legend (OAV)', 'Harlock Saga (OAV)' (Harlock vs. the Norse Gods...), and 'Queen Esmerelda'
    I have never heard of 'Captain Harlock: The Endless odyssey'. What is it?
    For that matter is 'Maetel Legend (OAV)' worth it? I only just came across it recently and haven't heard one way or the other.



    Edit: I just discovered that the box set of Endless Orbit SSX was released in Japan last October and there is a push to get it translated. No news on when it will happen but it is in the works. Guess we just have to be patient.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Apr 24, 2005 at 08:56 PM.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  5. #5
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    Okay, 'Endless Orbit SSX' came after the Movie 'Arcadia of My Youth', so it must be correct series...

    Galaxy Express 999 TV came before it's sequel, the Galaxy Express 999 Movie...

    Maetel Legend is from the early 'Golden Age' of anime (which means dated animation quality), but it describes the connection between Maetel (the conductor of the Galaxy Express), and her twin sister Esmerelda (of Queen Esmerelda) who's a member of Harlocks crew. It also makes a link to the movie 'Farewell Space Battleship Yamato' as well...

    And as for 'Space Pirate Captain Herlock The Endless Odyssey' (OVA series 2003) Licensed by Geneon Entertainment...
    http://www.captainherlockdvd.com/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

  6. #6
    Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A rift in the Nether
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ummm I think that you might be able to find those dvd's and such at Otakuutopia.com it varies every once in a while.
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

  7. #7
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    Okay, 'Endless Orbit SSX' came after the Movie 'Arcadia of My Youth', so it must be correct series...

    Galaxy Express 999 TV came before it's sequel, the Galaxy Express 999 Movie...
    So I have the movie then. Man, that was a trip. I wonder if I would get a different translation if I bought it from someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    Maetel Legend is from the early 'Golden Age' of anime (which means dated animation quality), but it describes the connection between Maetel (the conductor of the Galaxy Express), and her twin sister Esmerelda (of Queen Esmerelda) who's a member of Harlocks crew. It also makes a link to the movie 'Farewell Space Battleship Yamato' as well...
    But how good is it? Should I buy it before or after the 'Space Pirate' series? Your recompendation Sempai?

    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    And as for 'Space Pirate Captain Herlock The Endless Odyssey' (OVA series 2003) Licensed by Geneon Entertainment...
    http://www.captainherlockdvd.com/
    Oh trust me, I am very familiar with the site. Just findin it on google made me covet my Harlock fix all that much more.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  8. #8
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    The Maetel Legend should be considered as a prequel as it takes place before Harlock enters the picture. Iit does explain WHY Maetel is on the Galaxy Express, and also why Esmerelda is the way she is. (Though not having seen either of the Galaxey Express titles, I'm lack the knowledge of what role Maetel plays in the Harlock Universe...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts