Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol and other alternative fuels not worth it.

Newbie Yeager the Great may be famous one day Yeager the Great may be famous one day
    Thanks

Ethanol and other alternative fuels not worth it.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...ostly.ssl.html

In brief summary, the alternative fuels which enviromentalists would like us to transition to requires more energy to manufacture them then energy the fuels themselves provides.

This could be a problem, as we need alternative fuel sources to meet the growing energy demand in this country (which is supplied by fossil fuels).

This report does indicates the solar, wind, and hydroelectric sources of energy remain the most viable alternatives.

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ethanol and other alternative fuels not worth it.

Well, energy demand is becomming a worldwide problem. The UK is going to be in an energy crisis by 2030 when our nuclear powerplants are put out of commission.

I don't know alot about biomass fuels, but what i've read on that page seems believable enough. However i've read that even the combined efforts of solar, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, wave and tidal power won't be enough to satisfy the predicted future demand. So I guess biomass is more a less a mute point anyway.

What we need aren't more methods of fuel production, we have pleanty already. What we need is some clever engineering to increase the efficiency of our existing clean energy sources.

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

For cars we just need water...

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

well that study failed to note one new rising star in biological energy, alchohole, apparently it works and can be made from apples. i'll try and find something, also there is fel cells but they only really work for small things. and as hassun menioned the water powered car but i don't know how that works
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Thanks

The car works on hydrogen. The only thing coming out of your exhaust would be water...It's something of the future though, many companies are toying with it but no one has made any significant advancements in this area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_car

(I believe that the car is being held back by oil tycoons but that's of course only my speculation)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

According to someone else on this site it's being held up by problems with the fuel cell.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    According to someone else on this site it's being held up by problems with the fuel cell.
    Yeah, it's not very durable as of yet...
    This forbes article is pretty interesting too.
    http://www.forbes.com/execpicks/glob.../0509/032.html

Newbie Yeager the Great may be famous one day Yeager the Great may be famous one day
    Thanks

Additionally current methods of extracting H2 will either be prohibitively expensive (electrolysis of water molecules) or would only perpetuate the problems H2 fuels were to solve (extraction from natural gases yeilds tons of CO2...).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast