Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eu?

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Maybe the first question should be then, What is the EU?
    Is it just a trade federation?
    Or is the creation of a Constitution the first step in creating a larger government over the participating countries?

I know I keep repeating myself but I'm very curious. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to give up their soverignty. One of the big reasons the USA was created was over the right to a jury of your peers. An international judicial system would seem to me to remove that at the whim of those who do not have the same background or culture.
    The first paragraph on the EU website answers your question:

The European Union (EU) is a family of democratic European countries, committed to working together for peace and prosperity. It is not a State intended to replace existing states, but it is more than any other international organisation. The EU is, in fact, unique. Its Member States have set up common institutions to which they delegate some of their sovereignty so that decisions on specific matters of joint interest can be made democratically at European level.This pooling of sovereignty is also called "European integration".

For more info : http://europa.eu.int/abc/index_en.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ninrev Sirgem
    They have no power individually. They do have power together though....
    Do not underestimate the power of a European country...

Lol, seriously now, European countries are not so weak as one would imagine.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    The first paragraph on the EU website answers your question:

The European Union (EU) is a family of democratic European countries, committed to working together for peace and prosperity. It is not a State intended to replace existing states, but it is more than any other international organisation. The EU is, in fact, unique. Its Member States have set up common institutions to which they delegate some of their sovereignty so that decisions on specific matters of joint interest can be made democratically at European level.This pooling of sovereignty is also called "European integration".
    I'm sorry but to me that sounds likea load of smoke and mirrors. Pooling sovereignty is called government. "We don't want people to object to losing their sovereignty to a new government so we'll claim we're not one." The link you gave says..
    In the early years, much of the co-operation between EU countries was about trade and the economy, but now the EU also deals with many other subjects of direct importance for our everyday life, such as citizens' rights; ensuring freedom, security and justice; job creation; regional development; environmental protection; making globalisation work for everyone.
    If that's not convincing how about their own list of institutions and duties?
    There are five EU institutions, each playing a specific role:

* European Parliament (elected by the peoples of the Member States);
    * Council of the European Union (representing the governments of the Member States);
    * European Commission (driving force and executive body);
    * Court of Justice (ensuring compliance with the law);
    * Court of Auditors (controlling sound and lawful management of the EU budget).

These are flanked by five other important bodies:

* European Economic and Social Committee (expresses the opinions of organised civil society on economic and social issues);
    * Committee of the Regions (expresses the opinions of regional and local authorities);
    * European Central Bank (responsible for monetary policy and managing the euro);
    * European Ombudsman (deals with citizens' complaints about maladministration by any EU institution or body);
    * European Investment Bank (helps achieve EU objectives by financing investment projects);
    Sounds like a government to me. It has everything. Executive branch, Parliment, Judicial, Banking and Finance, and multiple levels of (Regional/Local/Citizen) Representation. What else do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaines
    Do not underestimate the power of a European country...

Lol, seriously now, European countries are not so weak as one would imagine.
    Oh, I don't. I am beginning to think though that Europe is underestimating themselves in the race to compete globally.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks

Thumbs up

There is obviously freedom for each citizen. But I was wondering if he meant was that each country could not do what they wanted if all of the countries objected.
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

Thanks
    If you want a really honest answer, the EU member states want several things at the same time, sovereignty AND security. However nobody is looking for a complete new government currently for the simple reason that currently that would be impossible, considering the situation (and believe me, just comparing Belgian federal politics where I live & France's republican one is a pain in the ass).

Also a very important thing is that a lot of the powerful members of the EU are part of countries governments.

European Union's first objective back in the days of its creation was to be together to avoid war, now it is unclear what some people really want with it.

TCR Owner and Operator Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem may be famous one day Ninrev Sirgem's Avatar
    The land of the Gooch(Goochland), in Virginina. USA
    Thanks
    No doubt the fact that the European Union officialy bans Us currency is amazing. Everywhere else in the world, from S.A. to China, our currency is accepted. Yet there, in Europe, it is not allowed. It shows the true strength they have.
    Trars.com/forums <---The newest hot rpg place

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninrev Sirgem
    No doubt the fact that the European Union officialy bans Us currency is amazing. Everywhere else in the world, from S.A. to China, our currency is accepted. Yet there, in Europe, it is not allowed. It shows the true strength they have.
    Not really. Banning currency in your own country doesn't show power, it shows insecurity. It means they're afraid that their own currency couldn't compete. Getting it banned in someone elses country, that would show power.

Thanks
    Affraid the Euro couldn't compete with the Dollar? Lol. Come on.

Thanks
    It's not about the exchange rate, that comes and goes. Any econimist will tell you that.

It's about international trade policy. The majority of world trade is done in two currencies, the native one and the US dollar. 2/3 of all international trade in done in the US dollar.

There would be no point of banning the US dollar in the EU countries unless you were trying to prevent the use of the US dollar between EU countries. Why would you use it in your own country after all. The entire point of the Euro was to create a value that crossed those borders. Banning the US dollar means they didn't want any competion. It's also called compulsiary compliance. Remove any other option and people have no other choice.

Like I said, it's a position of weakness, not strength. If the Euro was stronger in the international market then the US dollar there would have been no need to ban it.

BTW From an article on currency from site on Trade Currencies. May 12, '05
    Against the Euro, the US Dollar is also strong and $1.27 is the support level to watch here. Everything I have seen this morning suggests that there are Euro buyers at $1.27 but that they will only delay the inevitable push down to $1.24. Certainly, the improvement in Germany’s economic growth to 1.0% is a benefit to the Euro but with the US growng at 3.1%, it looks a bit puny.
    I'm afraid your laughter is premature. Sorry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast