Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Evolution

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

Exclamation Evolution

Ok, since I cannot figure out how to make a voting thingy, this is a free response.

On the subject of evolution:

Should it be taught as a theory on the high school level in schools?

Or not?

Please explain your answer, and if at all possible, tell why this answer does not violate the separation policy between church and state.
    En la tierra de los ciegos, el torto es rey.

In the end, Darwin is right. The strongest do survive.
    Hail Malthus!

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Though the first few iterations of evolution were rather shaky, such as Lamarckism, and even Darwinism, Punctuated Equilibrium has an extremely large range of data supporting it. Not to mention that studies in the Galapagos (probably spelled that wrong) as late as the 1990's showed short term genetic variance and a change in one species of finch as a whole in just one season of drought.

The components of the nerve system have many of the same components, though configured different, in almost every organism that isn't technically a plant. I won't bore you with all the details, but I'll leave at it's widely supported.

Now, evolution is not a religion, despite the fact that some people use it like one. For one, the theory of evolution is constantly changing, just like every aspect of science. Secondly, the theory is woven into every area of science as we know it right now, whether that be psychology or astronomy.

Contrary to belief, it is possible to believe in evolution and believe in a religion. Darwin himself was a devout catholic and at the time of his research was studying to be a clergyman. The reason that the theory of evolution, and science in general, excludes or dismisses religious theory is because it has to. The existance of a god or a great here after, right now, at least, is not quantifiable. If it is not quantifiable, it cannot be tested. If it cannot be tested, it cannot be included. Science and religion are not mutually exclusive, but must be studied seperately out of necessity.

In any case, that is my round about way of saying it should be taught, as it is the base for many other sciences, and is in no way affected by seperation of church and state as it isn't a religion.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen_mercury
    Ok, since I cannot figure out how to make a voting thingy, this is a free response.

On the subject of evolution:

Should it be taught as a theory on the high school level in schools?

Or not?
    Of course it should, it's an important part of the history of science. I just prefer that they teach it as a THEORY and not an immutable fact.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen_mercury
    Please explain your answer, and if at all possible, tell why this answer does not violate the separation policy between church and state.
    Maybe because there is no Constitutional seperation of church and state in spite of what the media and agendists tell you. There is only the Constitutional prevention of the Federal government makeing laws establishing a Federal sponsered religion and prohibiting the free practice of religion. To tell people they cannot practice their religion (be it christianity, muslim, or atheism) or even discuss it in school or other public forums is actually breaking the very foundations of our laws in the US.

*v If you want a detailed explaination v*
    Post # 18

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    We've been learning about Darwin in my Biology class and his theory of evoultion. It's fairly vauge I think, but either way, I really don't see how it somehow disproves religion's claims if anything they kind of go to together. (sort of) I think they should teach it so people quit confusing it with the sterotype of it trying to disprove religion, and we can root out the half ass bull shit facts, and show everyone what evoultion truly is about. By defintion, evoultion merely means: change over time.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    They should teach evolution in highschool, but like Arianna said, they must stress that it is just a theory, theories should be taught more in highschool, giving kids a perspective on hey, this is how this guy believes and this is his proof. Too many children nowadays don't understand the concept of proving your point.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    ^ good point. I can't tell you how many times my teacher empathized it's just a theory, but very close to being fact. Seeing that there's no real evidence against it.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Evolution should be taught because it's an important concept for modern Biological sciences. The entire BioTech industry is based on the assumption that some kind of evolutionary process has occured for the creation of gene's, and the proteins they code for the production of enzymes, hormones, and cell receptor sites. There is also an extensive body of evidence that supports Darwin idea in the known fossile record, and in the ongoing DNA analysis of plants and animals being done by Universities and BioTech research centers.

As a part of the scientific peer review process, it has been found that not all of Darwin's proposals on Evolution are completely correct. Instead of the slow gradual process of change that Darwin proposed, the fossile record indicates that evolution occurs in quick (in geologic time) bursts, often associated with world shaking catastrophes...

The teachings of science has no issues with seperation of Church and State. The ultimate definition of 'What is Science' boils down to the fact that Science is a Philosophy, that observes, measures, and analyse the world through the rules of logic. And it's a harsh philosophy at that. Unlike religion concepts, no matter how much you want, or hope, or believe that something is right, if the evidence and logic dictates that it's wrong, then IT'S WRONG!. And if new evidence comes up, even establish concepts and ideas must be questioned. (And I know of at least one widely accept Scientific Law that has been discarded because of new observations in the History of Science). Were living in a period where new discovers may result in major changes to the scientifc books. The observations made by the Hubble Telescope hints that everything we know about modern particle physics may only cover 5-10% of the Universe that is actually out there...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's funny, evolution teaches that things went from a state of chaos, then somehow started towards a state of order... As far as I recall from high school, the second law of thermodynamics says completely the opposite... I don't know, I may be wrong here. Evolution should be taught as what it is: a theory. And as far as God not being provable, I've always wondered how scientists worked their way around the law of biogenesis... Life can only come from preexisting life. I donno...
    ~|*BBoy|*|PHoeNiX*|~
    Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword, I can not embrace you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast