Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Excessive negatism

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Or, we could also look at it this way. Said students are actually having a hard time, and feel a need to express and connect with other students who have shared the same experience. Circumstances are irrelevant to this context. Let's say you have always been a good student, like our author. Now let's say you get tossed into a class that goes far, far beyond your current knowledge and ability. I'd say you're pretty likely to express concern and even vent quite a bit about it to other people.

Unless you do happen to be an arrogant prick, in which case you won't tell anyone, you won't get help, and you will fail utterly. That's just my thoughts, anyway. No progress without problems voiced.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    From what I can tell, students are either lazy, pretend they're stupid because being smart is "uncool" or want attention, or don't give a shit. These morons may cover-up the people who have trouble and don't know how to speak up, but that doesn't mean we should just let up on the grading system just because others DON'T feel like trying to gain their full potential. Lowering expectations will not solve the problem. Students will slowly milk the schools until they just have to sit in class to pass.

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    From what I can tell, students are either lazy, pretend they're stupid because being smart is "uncool" or want attention, or don't give a shit. These morons may cover-up the people who have trouble and don't know how to speak up, but that doesn't mean we should just let up on the grading system just because others DON'T feel like trying to gain their full potential. Lowering expectations will not solve the problem. Students will slowly milk the schools until they just have to sit in class to pass.
    While that may be true of some highschools, I was refering to college, and I think that more or less speaks for itself. Even if mommy and daddy are paying for your tuition, fail enough classes and you are most definitely done. No professor in their right mind is going to let you 'sit in class to pass'. Institutions of higher education will most definitely give you the boot, because your professors do NOT care for you in the slightest, and neither does the administration. Anyone that's been in college for even one quarter knows this.

Failing classes in college is throwing your money away, as well as dragging down your academic career. Therefore, in my experience so far, people that are complaining about how hard a class is are actually having problems with the material. At this point, acting dumb to look cool or fit in is absolutely assinine. Almost everyone is trying their best, and those that aren't won't be around long.

Colleges are not going to lower their expectations, nor should they. However, I hear more complaining about people complaining in this thread than anything else. Here's a tip to get them to stop, help them meet the expectation. Give them some pointers or explain a concept they don't understand. Help them raise to meet the bar instead of saying, "I've always been a good student, I don't understand"

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks
    Its the easy way out. And I've used it before many times sadly enough. I wouldnt consider myself a constant complainer but sometimes when the chips are down and I reach my limit I let it all out. Usually my complaining is very cruel and filled with many cuss words because usually when I complain I'm pissed off. As for other people. Life can suck sometimes, so we complain, we all do it, no one is innocent of that. Also we use it to switch the blame or attention to something else. To cover our own asses because lets face it, nobody likes to look stupid or bad. And its usually in those situations that a person will complain, when it doesnt work in his favor. Then there are people who do it just to hear themselves talk. Its best just to ignore those type because their probably idiots.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_glaive
    At a meeting at work today I go to listen to one of my co-workers talk about how he finds it hard to write computer programs for class (we are all part-time people who go to college) while he was drunk. Then, some other guy spoke up and said he finds it hard to program all the time. I got to thinking that in situations like this someone always speaks up and talks about how poorly they are doing and then laugh over it. While attending classes, I'm always hearing people talk about how they are failing tests, having a hard time with homework, and having to stay up late at night to keep up with their work.

Now, I've always been a good student in high school and college (not to brag), and I absolutely refuse to stay up late doing work and manage my time accordingly. I'm just about sick and tired of hearing people complain and I'd like to hear someone besides myself affirm that they are succeeding in their endeavors. I never say anything like "well I'm doing great in school," but I'm sure as hell thinking it.

Could someone please explain to me what the deal is with my fellow students and their constant complaints? If I walked around and talked about how I was doing well, I'd get called an arrogant prick, but everyone seems to be ok with hearing others complaints of ineptitude. Seems to me that if talking about success is bad, then complaining about failure should be as well. I've gotten annoyed with hearing people talk like this to the point where I don't want to show up to my classes early because I have to listen to people complain of their failures. Surely, someone in school is doing well. I'm a former cynic, and I'd like to believe the best in people, but to listen to people around campus talk students, at least, are a miserable lot.

People don't talk much about success because they know that other people have that one thought in their mind, "You think you're better than me?". It sends a message to them that you're above them(whether you're bragging or not) and it just makes them feel worse for doing worse than you, so most people would just add a remark about their own troubles to express that they know what the other one is feeling and connect in a way. I don't think there will ever be equal success, so you won't find everyone talking about scholastic or occupational acheivement(because this negativity only applies to these two areas, not sports, or certain occupations) There will always be a person having a hard time or a person with a chip on his or her shoulder. People express their failures to make themselves feel better about it, even though it's still bad. Some people actually take action to do something after they complain and others just talk but never change.

What you need to do is, instead of getting mad at friends for complaining, convince them that they need to do better or try to help them out in your free time however you can. Not dealing with your problems or other people's problems(especially good friends) leads to nothing being resolved. When it concerns random people, just ignore the matter, worry about your own problems, and don't let something like a simple complaint of a stranger affect your thoughts or actions.

But if this is some sort of depressing matter then I'm not sure what you can do. Dealing with those that are depressed is not my forte, and I(and you probably as well) wouldn't want depressing thoughts being told to you day after day.
    Last edited by False Truth; Apr 09, 2005 at 07:05 PM.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Banned lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon may be famous one day lord nikon's Avatar
    Thanks
    i'm a student but i'm satisfied cuz i study art now, and that helps me to not be enoying, my schoolmates are the same.

Newbie innocent_angel may be famous one day innocent_angel may be famous one day innocent_angel's Avatar
    Thanks
    There can be many reasons why either in work or college people insist on being negative, several have already been outlined, but there is one that seems to have been overlooked. What about fear? Not fear of failure or doing well, but fear that if you are in fact doing well and aren't complaining either your professor or your boss is going to add more work to the pile. If you complain there is thought that the work you have is enough and you'll get swamped.

There is a problem with this though, the more you complain, the less responsibilty you are given in work at least, I know this doesn't happen in college, and then suddenly you're being over looked for positions and promotions which begins the complaining over again.

I will admit when I'm among friends I'll complain about the tweny page paper I have due. But I also know that when I'm complaining I'm not complaining because the prof gave me too much work. I'm complaining because I'm a world class idiot and I end up putting the paper off too late. I try not to complain around strangers but it's hard not to vent.

This is venting culture we've created. Years of psychologists and psychiatrists telling us that talking about are problems is cathartic has led to a culture that will complain about the slightest thing that might be difficult.

My grandfather gave me a piece of advise years ago, he said "Don't complain, as much as you want to don't. No one really wants to listen to you moan about your life all the time and all you do is end up making people not wish to be around you. If someone asks how you are just say, 'fine, or good or alright' don't go into detail. Save that for those who really care about you, who might be able to help you do something." Amazingly, his advice worked.

~Innocent_angel
    I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.
    Elizabeth Barrett Browning
    English poet, political thinker, and feminist 1806-1861

Kindness is loving people more than they deserve.
    Joseph Joubert
    French moralist, 1754-1824

Otaku Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267 may be famous one day Animewolf267's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_glaive
    At a meeting at work today I go to listen to one of my co-workers talk about how he finds it hard to write computer programs for class (we are all part-time people who go to college) while he was drunk. Then, some other guy spoke up and said he finds it hard to program all the time. I got to thinking that in situations like this someone always speaks up and talks about how poorly they are doing and then laugh over it. While attending classes, I'm always hearing people talk about how they are failing tests, having a hard time with homework, and having to stay up late at night to keep up with their work.

Now, I've always been a good student in high school and college (not to brag), and I absolutely refuse to stay up late doing work and manage my time accordingly. I'm just about sick and tired of hearing people complain and I'd like to hear someone besides myself affirm that they are succeeding in their endeavors. I never say anything like "well I'm doing great in school," but I'm sure as hell thinking it.

Could someone please explain to me what the deal is with my fellow students and their constant complaints? If I walked around and talked about how I was doing well, I'd get called an arrogant prick, but everyone seems to be ok with hearing others complaints of ineptitude. Seems to me that if talking about success is bad, then complaining about failure should be as well. I've gotten annoyed with hearing people talk like this to the point where I don't want to show up to my classes early because I have to listen to people complain of their failures. Surely, someone in school is doing well. I'm a former cynic, and I'd like to believe the best in people, but to listen to people around campus talk students, at least, are a miserable lot.
    Its all very simple and i hear where your comming from (im a A and B high school student) And it all boils down to people complain about staying up so late because they are dumb and dont do it earlier. also when they announce when they fail, they think they will get sympathy or even empathy from others.
    Icy cold Toilet Paper!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast