Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fansubs: Good or Bad for the Anime Industry?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Fansubs: Good or Bad for the Anime Industry?

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Before posting, Users should review the following web links

Video Store Magazine article
    http://www.hive4media.com/news/html/...rticle_ID=6995

MIT Technology Review article
    http://www.technologyreview.com/arti...kins081004.asp

CNET News article
    http://news.com.com/Anxious+times+in...?tag=nefd.lede

Anime News Network 2004 Year in Review - BitTorrent and Fansubs
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=202

Topic of discussion: Are Fansubs distributions by providing increased exposure and anticipation for Anime series, and increasing the popularity of Anime in general, a benefit to the Anime industry? Or by reducing both Japanese domestic and overseas DVD sales, (and the value of potential overseas licensing fees) and the resulting decrease of revenue to fund future Anime series, a detriment to the Anime industry? The topic is now open for discussion
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337 may be famous one day BBoyPHoeNiX1337's Avatar
    Thanks
    If only it were that simple. If, like many fansubbers out there, all fansubs stopped when their respective country (ie USA) licensed an anime, and from there they stuck to some sort of "honor code of the otaku" or something and only watched on tv or bought legitimate copies of the DVD and stuff, then no company would have a problem with it. But unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. From where I see it, it does hurt sales, and that in turn hurts the makers of the anime, Japan. Everything works with cause and effect. I myself do not download anime anymore (with the exception of One Piece which I know is licensed, but I just can't stand the english release). I can understand the worries of the industry, but they didn't become multi-million, some even multi-billion dollar companies because they didn't have to fight bootleggers and piraters. They became that DESPITE that fact. It's true it has become worse, and the worse it gets, the more of a concern it becomes. In closing of my 2 cents, if all anime fans everywhere would stop downloading anime (I would download unlicensed ones, but my college's filter doesn't allow torrent and p2p progs to run so I can only get it via IRC) that is licensed, then there would be no worries. But there are people, like me, who would rather have japanese ones with subtitles than to have english ones that have been butchered. Then there are other ardent fans who just can't afford high prices for anime. I remember seeing the full set of Chobits running for about 250 bucks. That's too rich for my blood.And of course, there are others who just don't give a rat's butt and will continue to download whether it's licensed or not. It 's a double-edged sword. As long as the gain outweighs the loss, the companies will keep their mouth shut. But the second they either get too greedy, or they lose too much profit, they'll come after the ones responsible.
    ~|*BBoy|*|PHoeNiX*|~
    Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword, I can not embrace you.

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Some promotional aspects of it are good. For example: I downloaded a leagal(at the time) fansub of "Samurai Champloo" I only downloaded the first episode, (mainly because it takes too long) But that made me buy it once it came to America. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have.
    For the people who use these as a "collection" source, yes it does hurt the sales of the dvd.
    As for the past, P2P filesharing brought something good that wouldn't come to America. Anime was very hard to obtain and most of it was kept from america. Now, you can find a mass amount of it at regular retailers such as "Best Buy." Even more can be found in other stores that concentrate on anime and manga.
    This is why there is not more legal action than there is. It's a two way system. A "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" sort of deal. Without the advent of p2p filesharing and enourmous feedback from the U.S., companies such as Geneon and Pioneer would never have prospered in the first place from America at all.

All in all, I'd have to say that as more anime is released leagaly in the U.S., less pirating will be going on. You can see this today. There is much less pirating (that ive seen) going on around the net. (in respect to the American region 1). But, there will always be an illeagal action taking place. DUH!!!!! People always want something for nothing!! Personally, I now see no more need for p2p filesharing in america, when you can get ABSOLUTLY ANY anime through LEAGAL NET SALES of LEAGAL DVD's. Even though it takes a year to get the entirety of a series on dvd(samurai champloo jan11th, 2005--Jan26th,2006) I say its worth the wait. Therefore, I would rather do without bittorrent. I would have seen through articles and other people that samurai champloo is a good anime without watching the first episode on my own, but it WOULD TAKE LONGER to find such animes.

Otaku nova may be famous one day nova may be famous one day nova's Avatar
    Thanks
    I believe overall they are good for the industry.

I know for a fact there are studios that pay to have fansubs and bt trackers watched and they do it for marketing purposes. With this in mind, how else can they truly bank on what sells? They also know that most kids in America will not sit through a subtitle, and that the popularity isn't truly obtained until it reaches the TV. Plus, you can't bootleg merchandise (wallscrolls, mugs, pencilboards, etc.)

With fansubs, the dirty work of gathering a core audience is done, and word spreads once an anime has rep. It's just that simple. The concerns in the articles suggest it piracy, bad, etc. but the anime industry has been very strong and the demand has i nthe US has grown not through fansubs, but dubs.

Banned-looks like you were beat hunh little kid the_weird_one may be famous one day the_weird_one may be famous one day the_weird_one's Avatar
    Thanks
    i dont really know. i mean i want everything to be good with anime and all, but i really just dont know anymore.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_weird_one
    i dont really know. i mean i want everything to be good with anime and all, but i really just dont know anymore.
    you have been warned about posting in a topic with "I don't Know" this is your second warning

Otaku Tithe may be famous one day Tithe may be famous one day Tithe's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think its good. See my view is that your saying the fans are getting it from friends and stuff right? well sooner or later they'll want to buy it and own it so they go to the store buy it there. if I'm wrong o well sorry. I got a Question though:
    ok on the Video Store Magazine article
    http://www.hive4media.com/news/html...article_ID=6995 the bootlegg part, its only bootlegg if you make a profit right?
    A deathless heart alive with greif
    Smiles when it hears of thee
    Whisper now my secret love
    Kiss my lips and rise above

Otaku thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud may be famous one day thevampirealacrud's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have a sattalite connection for my laptop so I am continually downloading anime, I guess I should not download as much as I do but if I watch a download I like I will go Buy the series. So some are not completely at fault.

I will do Kite and Blackrose!!!
    "You have the strength and power to control your own destinies...and that is the greatest gift of all." ~Lucia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast