Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fate of Nintendo

AO co-founder Cybergig1 may be famous one day Cybergig1 may be famous one day Cybergig1's Avatar
    Thanks
    hmm well that does suck about the squaresoft thing. I wont argue that at all as I agree. But did this really happen? I haven't heard anything on that, and with all the news I read usually I would have read something that big, is this just talk or is this fact? I can't find any articles on it whatsoever, please update if you have any sources so I can read up

good point on Halo 3 as well I have a feeling the Xbox 360 sales will truly jump/splurge upon the release of that game
    Last edited by Cybergig1; May 24, 2005 at 11:04 AM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thevampirealacrud
    Here is my reason for hating them and it might not appeal to you and I AM whining... Squaresoft was bought by Microsoft and have been given the right to keep their name. Yet squaresoft must make all the final fantasy games from here on out ONLY for microsoft gaming systems, I have had bad expiriances with microsoft materials and wholly perfer Sony's creations.
    THat would stink if it was true but it's not.

From the Square-Enix website:

" In April 2003, two of the video game industry's leading companies, Square Co., Ltd. and Enix Corporation, merged to form a new company, Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix).

Square Enix, Inc., is 100% subsidiary of Square Enix Co., Ltd. with offices in Los Angeles, CA and Seattle, WA."
    I believe rumors about Squaresoft being bought by Microsoft were circulating when they hit their money crunch. Microsoft may have even offered. But they merged with Enix and that, as they say, was that.

Microsoft however has hired Yoshihiro Maruyama a former Squaresoft Inc chief operating officer and has made a deal with Mistwalker studios ( who is headed by Hironobu Sakaguchi of FF fame) to make RPGs for the Xbox 360.

Personally I don't like Microsoft to the point that I do avoid their products when there is another option. In my case I have a problem with their bussiness ethics (or lack there of). I also have an in-law who used to work for them. He quit because he "got tired of putting his morals on a shelf ever morning". Problem is if Mistwalker studios start creating solely for Xbox then that would leave me with no choice....

Mind you, I could wait a year or two, there's always the pawnshop......

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    ^that's what I was thinking of, the graphics. Sheesh, I feel like I've helped steer this discussion off topic...

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sorry.

The fate of Nintendo ahy?

Well that depends on Nintendo. Nintendo isn't #3 because their system sucks. They're #3 because they messed over their bussiness associets to the point that game development companies took their games anywhere but there (mostly to Sony). There's a reason they're down to mostly proprietary games. They have to make their own because others won't. SquareSoft once swore they would never do bussiness with them again. (I don't know if they kept that.)

So they do well in hand held systems. So maybe they'll continue to own the market there. Although with the PSP they may no longer have a corner on that market.

Fact is, when a company gets a reputation of stealing and lying it's going to hurt them.

Will they ever recover? .....Beats me.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku death_knight may be famous one day death_knight may be famous one day death_knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Sorry.

They're #3 because they messed over their bussiness associets to the point that game development companies took their games anywhere but there (mostly to Sony). There's a reason they're down to mostly proprietary games. They have to make their own because others won't. SquareSoft once swore they would never do bussiness with them again. (I don't know if they kept that.)

Fact is, when a company gets a reputation of stealing and lying it's going to hurt them.

Will they ever recover? .....Beats me.
    yeh i feel you on the problem with no good developers. thats a big problem with nintendo. and really the psp is really pushing em over. from the abilities i've seen the psp offer nintendo needs to watch their back in the hand held market.
    Opensources is where my heart is
    Ishida Uryuu - The true one winged angel

Newbie yum9 may be famous one day yum9 may be famous one day yum9's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Always have been since my dad bought a N64 when I was 6. Never liked the Mario games, but I loved nearly every other game.

I feel that graphics aren't that big a deal anymore. The technology is becoming better and better and the graphics are no longer what sets a system apart. Same for sound and the way the system looks.

In terms of power, if I'm not mistaken, the three new consoles are very close in power, so once again, not much of a contest there.

Let's take a look at versatility, Sony loves to make their systems do more than just play games, proof of that with PS2 and PSP. XBOX does the same. The new Revolution has the same capabilities non-gaming wise now, so it's not much there. Basically it comes down to the games.

As I said, I'm not a Mario fan, besides Paper Mario, which was totaly different from the rest of the series in my opinion. XBOX offers action games galore with tons of action packed games, and chances are the sequal will do the same. The PS2 went for a pretty safe kind of gaming selection (I'll get to Nintendo in a minute). The Square RPGs (which people are liking less and less),and the same actions games as XBOX. When it comes to Nintendo they totally innovate and try to do something different. DS was different, and the linking of GBA to GCN was too. The Revolution offers a lot of options (I believe) and the games are always changing. Everyone knows what to expect from a Zelda game, or a Metroid game, yet when they play it they are stunned at how different and innovative it is.

Innovation is what is going to set the systems apart, who can put something totally new and interesting out there. If the new consoles are going to be better than the predecessors, then the XBOX 360 should have a bigger variety of games, the PS3 should have upgraded power (in my opinion), and Revolution should lose the kiddy gimick that works in Japan in order for it to work in North America.

Also, I doubt Nintendo will become a party developer as they take a long time to make their games (most of their games are designed by a different company, but published by Nintendo) and they still have a fanbase in Japan (if I'm not mistaken).

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I disagree on the hand-held side. I think nintendo has that one for awhile. I can't give you an opinion on PSP because the people around here(meaning where I live, not the forum.) don't have it. Not much of a library either. GBA alone could beat out PSP, and DS? I don't think it's anything special. I still question their reasoningfor making it. I mean they're still coming out with a new Gameboy (the micro) and yet they released the DS. I think nintendo is no where near extinction, but yet I wonder if they're always aware of the situation they're in. They'll still probably be in the console industry awhile yet too.

and as for you yum9, your reasons for what you think gaming should be is identical to mine, but it just doesn't matter to some people... The majority of the gamers on this board are proof. Sad but true.

Untouchable Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega may be famous one day Raven Omega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yum9
    In terms of power, if I'm not mistaken, the three new consoles are very close in power, so once again, not much of a contest there.
    You couldn't be more wrong, The PS3 is about twice the power of an Xbox360, we don't even KNOW what the Revolution's specifics are quite yet. They only said it will be three to four times FASTER than the Gamecube, so take that for what it's worth. Honestly, I'm thinking that a PS3 or Xbox 360 will be able to friggin eat a Revolution and ask for more, the stats are gonna be too different, Nintendo's not trying to compete in power anymore.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast